British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Sending gifts back to the UK for Christmas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/sending-gifts-back-uk-christmas-816608/)

mollieah Dec 1st 2013 6:05 am

Sending gifts back to the UK for Christmas

Hi,
I'm a student here for the year and won't be home for Christmas. I wanted to send some small presents home for my immediate family. Does anyone know if I am able to wrap them up or not for customs? Thanks! And if you have any other useful information that'd be great also!

Thanks!! :):starsmile:

Jscl Dec 1st 2013 6:23 am

Re: Sending gifts back to the UK for Christmas

If you send things back regular air mail using the post office you have to fill in a customs form on which you detail the contents (and which spoils the surprise if you can't persuade someone at the other end to not peek!). I don't think I've had anything inspected going in that direction (have twice in the other) but you might want to find out what you can't send. I wrap everything and if they have to open it they will. Shipping prices have gone up though, so beware...

http://ircalc.usps.com/?country=10150
(the bottom option is the regular airmail)

You should mail within the next week, possibly early in the week, to be sure.

NatashaB Dec 1st 2013 1:33 pm

I buy everything on Amazon.co.uk (they do giftwrap) and have them shipped directly to my family and friends rather than buying things here and posting them over.

watchamacallit Dec 1st 2013 4:34 pm

I don't send anything now, it costs more in shipping than the items did in the first place.

Hotscot Dec 1st 2013 5:09 pm

Yes, just use Amazon.

lansbury Dec 1st 2013 5:21 pm

Another vote for Amazon UK and get it gift wrapped.

Sally Redux Dec 1st 2013 5:35 pm

The post office is on a mission to make it as fiddly, time-consuming and expensive as possible to send things back. I sent 2 little tea-towels costing $5 as a token gift the other week, not only did it take forever (the man in front of me literally started shaking with anger and frustration), the postage cost $15.

It's unfortunate, because you probably want to send local gifts in your situation. You can wrap them, but we have had various reports of the recipients sometimes having to pay duty, and that also puts me off.

cranston Dec 1st 2013 5:36 pm

another vote for Amazon UK....they do a great job.

Derrygal Dec 1st 2013 9:46 pm

I hate dealing with the US Post Office. The people there just don't seem to know what they're doing. My great nephew was 1 in October and I mailed him some cute little outfits for his 1st birthday. Never again! One clerk told me to use one customs form (the shorter one). When I got up to the counter, the other clerk told me I needed the longer one. I never get the right information. I'm using Amazon.UK for Christmas gifts - less hassle and they will gift-wrap for a little extra.

BubbleChog Dec 2nd 2013 12:11 am

Originally Posted by Derrygal (Post 11016006)
I hate dealing with the US Post Office. The people there just don't seem to know what they're doing. My great nephew was 1 in October and I mailed him some cute little outfits for his 1st birthday. Never again! One clerk told me to use one customs form (the shorter one). When I got up to the counter, the other clerk told me I needed the longer one. I never get the right information. I'm using Amazon.UK for Christmas gifts - less hassle and they will gift-wrap for a little extra.

I like amazon for the convenience but i have quite a few friends and family boycotting them for the tax avoidance etc. I just buy stuff online in the UK and get it all shipped to my sister. she gift wraps and delivers for me and i send her M&M's in nasty seasonal flavours occasionally

Michael Dec 2nd 2013 12:14 am

Originally Posted by Derrygal (Post 11016006)

If you have to ship something, it is better to print the forms and labels online. This can be done for both USPS and UPS and then you won't have the hassle of which forms you need to fill out and legibility when you drop off the package.

For small packages (bubble wrap envelopes and small boxes) mailed to a US address, priority mail fixed rate is pretty good since the post office provides as many as you want free and will deliver them, the cost of postage is about $5, everything can be done on your printer including postage paid labels, a tracking number is provided, delivery is 2-3 days, and the package can be dropped in any mailbox so no need to deal with the post office.

https://store.usps.com/store/browse/...S_PriorityMail

HDWill Dec 2nd 2013 12:51 am

Originally Posted by BubbleChog (Post 11016100)
I like amazon for the convenience but i have quite a few friends and family boycotting them for the tax avoidance etc. I just buy stuff online in the UK and get it all shipped to my sister. she gift wraps and delivers for me and i send her M&M's in nasty seasonal flavours occasionally

I avoid using Amazon because of the terrible working conditions in its warehouses in the US and the UK:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-25034598