Reload this Page >

Sending gifts back to the UK for Christmas

Sending gifts back to the UK for Christmas

Old Dec 1st 2013, 6:05 am
Just Joined

mollieah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sending gifts back to the UK for Christmas

Hi,
I'm a student here for the year and won't be home for Christmas. I wanted to send some small presents home for my immediate family. Does anyone know if I am able to wrap them up or not for customs? Thanks! And if you have any other useful information that'd be great also!

Thanks!!
Old Dec 1st 2013, 6:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Jscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sending gifts back to the UK for Christmas

If you send things back regular air mail using the post office you have to fill in a customs form on which you detail the contents (and which spoils the surprise if you can't persuade someone at the other end to not peek!). I don't think I've had anything inspected going in that direction (have twice in the other) but you might want to find out what you can't send. I wrap everything and if they have to open it they will. Shipping prices have gone up though, so beware...

http://ircalc.usps.com/?country=10150
(the bottom option is the regular airmail)

You should mail within the next week, possibly early in the week, to be sure.
Old Dec 1st 2013, 1:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute

I buy everything on Amazon.co.uk (they do giftwrap) and have them shipped directly to my family and friends rather than buying things here and posting them over.
Old Dec 1st 2013, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

watchamacallit has a spectacular aura aboutwatchamacallit has a spectacular aura aboutwatchamacallit has a spectacular aura about

I don't send anything now, it costs more in shipping than the items did in the first place.
Old Dec 1st 2013, 5:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, just use Amazon.
Old Dec 1st 2013, 5:21 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Another vote for Amazon UK and get it gift wrapped.
Old Dec 1st 2013, 5:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

The post office is on a mission to make it as fiddly, time-consuming and expensive as possible to send things back. I sent 2 little tea-towels costing $5 as a token gift the other week, not only did it take forever (the man in front of me literally started shaking with anger and frustration), the postage cost $15.

It's unfortunate, because you probably want to send local gifts in your situation. You can wrap them, but we have had various reports of the recipients sometimes having to pay duty, and that also puts me off.
Old Dec 1st 2013, 5:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

cranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond repute

another vote for Amazon UK....they do a great job.
Old Dec 1st 2013, 9:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

I hate dealing with the US Post Office. The people there just don't seem to know what they're doing. My great nephew was 1 in October and I mailed him some cute little outfits for his 1st birthday. Never again! One clerk told me to use one customs form (the shorter one). When I got up to the counter, the other clerk told me I needed the longer one. I never get the right information. I'm using Amazon.UK for Christmas gifts - less hassle and they will gift-wrap for a little extra.
Old Dec 2nd 2013, 12:11 am
BE Enthusiast

BubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Derrygal
I hate dealing with the US Post Office. The people there just don't seem to know what they're doing. My great nephew was 1 in October and I mailed him some cute little outfits for his 1st birthday. Never again! One clerk told me to use one customs form (the shorter one). When I got up to the counter, the other clerk told me I needed the longer one. I never get the right information. I'm using Amazon.UK for Christmas gifts - less hassle and they will gift-wrap for a little extra.
I like amazon for the convenience but i have quite a few friends and family boycotting them for the tax avoidance etc. I just buy stuff online in the UK and get it all shipped to my sister. she gift wraps and delivers for me and i send her M&M's in nasty seasonal flavours occasionally
Old Dec 2nd 2013, 12:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Derrygal
If you have to ship something, it is better to print the forms and labels online. This can be done for both USPS and UPS and then you won't have the hassle of which forms you need to fill out and legibility when you drop off the package.

For small packages (bubble wrap envelopes and small boxes) mailed to a US address, priority mail fixed rate is pretty good since the post office provides as many as you want free and will deliver them, the cost of postage is about $5, everything can be done on your printer including postage paid labels, a tracking number is provided, delivery is 2-3 days, and the package can be dropped in any mailbox so no need to deal with the post office.

https://store.usps.com/store/browse/...S_PriorityMail
Old Dec 2nd 2013, 12:51 am
Forum Regular

HDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond reputeHDWill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BubbleChog
I like amazon for the convenience but i have quite a few friends and family boycotting them for the tax avoidance etc. I just buy stuff online in the UK and get it all shipped to my sister. she gift wraps and delivers for me and i send her M&M's in nasty seasonal flavours occasionally
I avoid using Amazon because of the terrible working conditions in its warehouses in the US and the UK:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-25034598