Reload this Page >

Sending belongings to hubby

Sending belongings to hubby

Old Mar 8th 2016, 9:04 pm
JHR
Just Joined

JHR is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sending belongings to hubby

Hi, can anyone help please? My husband went to the U.S. on a 6month O1Bvisa. As it was only 6 months I stayed in the UK so I could keep my job.
My hubby has now been extended, though his visa extension is still being processed. I plan to join him as soon as his visa and then mine in turn is approved.

In the meantime I want to send him some of our belongings - computer, and some other stuff as he needs them before I arrive. I've contacted lots of different companies but all of them seem quite clueless when it comes to the customs forms, etc. Ultimately the 3299 form asks for the shipper's flight number and arrival date and I've been told to include a copy of my visa. I don't have any of these yet as I'm not there. I want to send the belongings to my husband. I've also been told that as the sender I should also be the receiver, but I'm not going yet. The 3299 form doesn't seem to give you away to send to someone other than yourself. The items belong to both me and my hubby, but the forms seem to be from one person to one person only (from me in the UK to me at a US address).

I didn't think it would be this difficult to send large items from wife to husband.

Has anybody sent largish boxes to relatives? Any advice on how to complete the forms to show a different receiver?

All our stuff is over a year or two old so I want to fill everything out properly and avoid customs charges. Each company I've explained the situation to, refers me back to sending it to myself. It's crazy.
Old Mar 8th 2016, 9:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sending belongings to hubby

How much stuff are we talking about here? Would it not be possible to visit for a weekend (on ESTA) and take what he needs with you in your checked baggage?

Not only would this be much quicker, but potentially cheaper, not to mention the fact you get to see him for a couple of days.
Old Mar 8th 2016, 9:16 pm
JHR
Just Joined

Unfortunately not. There are three boxes, rather large. One of them contains a big computer tower. I couldn't take them as lugguage. Two of them weigh just over 20kilos each and are quite big in size. I also don't want to fly too much or early as I'm expecting and need my holiday to add to my mat leave so I can fly before I'm not allowed anymore. I really need to air freight them.
Old Mar 8th 2016, 9:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE.

Take a look at this in the BE Wiki...

Shipping Via Airfreight : British Expat Wiki

For more info...

Category:USA : British Expat Wiki
Old Mar 8th 2016, 9:22 pm
JHR
Just Joined

Hi, yes I saw this wiki, but her hubby was in the UK to send the items and was the one collecting them in the US. With our situation, I'm the sender and he's the receiver which seems to be the issue. The sender should be the receiver. It's so frustrating. I didn't know whether to write a letter explaining it all and include it with a photocopy of my passport and marriage certificate.
Old Mar 8th 2016, 9:30 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

So put his name as the sender. No? If necessary have him contact the shipper directly.

I shipped some tools to myself from my mother's house after my father died and there was no issue with the shipper acting on my instructions to collect several tool boxes and trunks from my mother's house even though I was in the US at the time.
Old Mar 8th 2016, 9:33 pm
JHR
Just Joined

Oh that's good to know. I did wonder if he could fill out all them forms online and then I iust print them to go with the boxes. I hope that works. Thanks.
Old Mar 8th 2016, 9:43 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JHR
Oh that's good to know. I did wonder if he could fill out all them forms online and then I iust print them to go with the boxes. I hope that works. Thanks.
You're welcome.
Old Mar 9th 2016, 1:05 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

While you have ruled out the weekend visit option, don't discount what's called "excess baggage". For a fee, most airlines will allow you to bring up to 8 suitcases if you are flying on a trip. The cost of excess baggage is often cheaper than the cost of shipping, and even if you have a 20kg item it is still under the per suitcase maximum most airlines have. On some routes there isn't even a weight requirement (I had a friend in Africa who shipped nails and heavy tools as excess baggage as it was a flat rate price per "piece" of luggage).

"Excess baggage" is the term to ask for when talking to the airline.

Good luck.

p.s. is the computer really worth it? I'm a geek and given the choice between buying a new computer or paying a ton to ship one over I'd buy a new one. Just backup the data on a hard disk and install on a new machine.
Old Mar 9th 2016, 2:19 am

Originally Posted by penguinsix
While you have ruled out the weekend visit option, don't discount what's called "excess baggage". For a fee, most airlines will allow you to bring up to 8 suitcases if you are flying on a trip. The cost of excess baggage is often cheaper than the cost of shipping, and even if you have a 20kg item it is still under the per suitcase maximum most airlines have. On some routes there isn't even a weight requirement (I had a friend in Africa who shipped nails and heavy tools as excess baggage as it was a flat rate price per "piece" of luggage).

"Excess baggage" is the term to ask for when talking to the airline.

Good luck.

p.s. is the computer really worth it? I'm a geek and given the choice between buying a new computer or paying a ton to ship one over I'd buy a new one. Just backup the data on a hard disk and install on a new machine.
Depends on the airline, and the ticket class - what might only be a few pounds/dollars for an extra suitcase in business class can be £100/$150 or more for someone in economy. ..... Which is why "excess baggage companies" sprang up, charging less for an unaccompanied suitcase than the airlines charge for an extra suitcase.
Old Mar 9th 2016, 2:51 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Depends on the airline, and the ticket class - what might only be a few pounds/dollars for an extra suitcase in business class can be £100/$150 or more for someone in economy. ..... Which is why "excess baggage companies" sprang up, charging less for an unaccompanied suitcase than the airlines charge for an extra suitcase.
Yes, excess baggage charges are getting to be, well, "excessive".

For example, with Delta economy fares between the US and Europe you can, in, theory, take up to 10 checked bags if space is available - the first one is "free", the second is $100, and the third and any subsequent ones are $275 each (and that assumes that they fall within the standard weight and size limits - if they don't then there will be extra charges for those as well)
Old Mar 9th 2016, 5:13 am
JHR
Just Joined

The sizes are too big for excess baggage. I had thought of that. The quotes I've been given for the three boxes together are still half the price of what my hubby's computer cost, so we're better off shipping than buying new.

I just thought it would be simple.
Old Mar 9th 2016, 11:58 pm
Forum Regular

canarybats has much to be proud ofcanarybats has much to be proud ofcanarybats has much to be proud ofcanarybats has much to be proud ofcanarybats has much to be proud ofcanarybats has much to be proud ofcanarybats has much to be proud ofcanarybats has much to be proud ofcanarybats has much to be proud ofcanarybats has much to be proud ofcanarybats has much to be proud of

I have used sendmybag before and it was amazing. I'm fairly certain that they take boxes as well as luggage. You fill out all the paperwork yourself so I imagine it would be easy to sort out that name problem. My bag took 3 days from London - oregon.
Old Mar 10th 2016, 9:59 pm
Wolf In Sheeps Clothing

Sheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond reputeSheepdip has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
......... p.s. is the computer really worth it? I'm a geek and given the choice between buying a new computer or paying a ton to ship one over I'd buy a new one. Just backup the data on a hard disk and install on a new machine.
Exactly the same position when we moved. Had a couple of really nice rack mounted units that weighed a ton! Ended up just pulling the hard drives and installed them in a new machine.