Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Send Lemsip!

Send Lemsip!

Old Dec 3rd 2003, 9:50 pm

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough
Unhappy Send Lemsip!

Urghhhhh, I am as sick as a dawg! I've had a sore throat since yesterday morning and went looking for medicine.... I bought TheraFlu thinking it would be like Lemsip, but OMG it ain't!

Now I've drunk that I can't take anything else with acetominophen in it. It was awful I tell ya.... made me shiver!

I've got the chills and have blown my nose 50 trillion times today... now it's got globs of vaseline on it cos it's sore.

Wahhhhhh, someone help me please.

Thank you... I feel better now everyone knows how sick I am!
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 10:03 pm

Sod it... I'm gonna share this recipe only with you lot... it helps colds too!

Recipe for Fruit Cake

You will need: a cup of water, a cup of flower, four large brown eggs,two cups of dried fruit, a teaspoon of salt, a cup of brown sugar, lemon juicce,nuts, and a bottle of whiskey.

Sample the whiskey to check quality.

Take a large bowl. Check whiskey again. (To be sure it's the highest quality) Pour one level cup and drink. Repeat. Turn on the mixer, beat one cup of butter in a large fluffy bowl. Add one teaspoon of sugar and beat again.

Make sure the whiskey is still OK, Cry another tup. Turn off the mixer. Beat two leggs and add a bowl and chuck in the dried fruit. Mix on the turner. If the dried fruit gets stuck pry it loose with a screwdriver.

Sample the whisky again and check it for tonsiticity... Next, sift two cups of salt. Or something. Who cares?
Check the whiskey.
Now sift the lemon juice and strain your nuts. Add one table.Spoon. Of sugar or something. Whatever you can find.

Grease the oven (very important that) Turn the cake tin to 350 degrees. Don't forget to beat off the turner. Throw the bowl out of the window. Check the whiskey again and go to bed.
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 10:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

mum always used to make us hot honey lemon and glycerine for colds, not sure if it does any good but tasted nice
Hope youre feeling betterer soon Bridgie

Jan
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 10:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

The lemon and honey is soothing.

You could always just take Nyquil and go to bed Brigie. My hubby has a horrid cold/flu type thing right now and he is loving the Nyquil, renders him unconcious in minutes

Hope you get over it quickly
Old Dec 3rd 2003, 10:35 pm
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Location: Cambridge MA, via Mississippi and Belfast Northern Ireland.
Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future

Originally posted by jan_michigan
mum always used to make us hot honey lemon and glycerine for colds, not sure if it does any good but tasted nice
Hope youre feeling betterer soon Bridgie

Jan
Cant beat a hot toddy for a cold. Bit of lemon, hot water, plenty of irish whisky and a clove. get one of these down you it always sweats it out of me.

regards,

Duncan
Old Dec 4th 2003, 12:27 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Another couple of suggestions

If you like ginger, how about buying some candied ginger (US doesn't seem to sell stem ginger in syrup). I've found it in healthfood stores, grocery stores (sold in little bags) and Chinese grocery stores (the cheapest source).

You can either chew and eat the ginger or perhaps put a teaspoonsworth of ginger in a mug and top with boiling water and drink the concotion (and eat the ginger at the end).

Failing that, get TCP. There's nothing like it. My Mum sent me two large bottles. You'd probably have to get family to send it over.

NC Penguin
Old Dec 4th 2003, 2:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

My dad swears by honey, hot water and whisky for a cold... he has a tipple of that aniseed drink for a cough... whats it called...pernoe [sp?] or something like that.

Well the effects of the alcohol will make you feel a little better if nothing else does.

Ash
Old Dec 4th 2003, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

Location: Originally Sussex Then Oregon Then Vancouver Now Colorado
Wildcat_1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Send Lemsip!

Brigie

I have a large box of Beechams cold and flu wild berry if you want any let me know.

WC
Old Dec 4th 2003, 1:06 pm

Default Re: Send Lemsip!

Originally posted by Wildcat_1
Brigie

I have a large box of Beechams cold and flu wild berry if you want any let me know.

WC

Thnx WC.... I might take you up on that... but I am feeling better today. Just have a sore nose from being up all night blowing it.

The chills have stopped so I'm optimistic! My Aunt and Uncle are flying into NYC on Friday (in the middle of this nor' easter) and are driving up to see me on Sunday.

I just want to be better when they come and not send them home with the flu!

I'm ordering my groceries online today and going to see what I can find at the store later.... Stop and Shop is sold out of most of the cold remedy stuff... everyone must have this!
Old Dec 4th 2003, 1:07 pm

PS. TOdd says if you all want to know what he's got to put up with... picture Goldie Hawn in Overboard. -- I admit... I am such a baby!