Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Selective Service System

Selective Service System

Old Jun 13th 2005, 9:57 pm
Accepted Everywhere

SeveredNeurons has a brilliant futureSeveredNeurons has a brilliant futureSeveredNeurons has a brilliant futureSeveredNeurons has a brilliant futureSeveredNeurons has a brilliant futureSeveredNeurons has a brilliant futureSeveredNeurons has a brilliant future
Default Selective Service System

I returned home today to find that this afore mentioned 'company' had sent me my "Official Registration acknowledgment Card". Now I'm not 100%, but I'm pretty sure that I have not advocated my services to the US armed forces, nor would I, even if I was eligible!

It does stipulate in "Further Information" that if you are here on a valid visa and believe that you are registered in error, to send the card back with a copy of my visa.

Has anyone else received such a card? Or can anyone shed any light on how I received such a card and what is the next step to removing myself from their 'mailing list'. I believe it is a way of extorting money, albeit $0.37 by the US Postal Service in conjunction with the US armed forces to support the ballooning cost of the war/mess (delete where applicable) in Iraq.
Old Jun 13th 2005, 10:02 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Selective Service System

Originally Posted by SeveredNeurons
I returned home today to find that this afore mentioned 'company' had sent me my "Official Registration acknowledgment Card". Now I'm not 100%, but I'm pretty sure that I have not advocated my services to the US armed forces, nor would I, even if I was eligible!

It does stipulate in "Further Information" that if you are here on a valid visa and believe that you are registered in error, to send the card back with a copy of my visa.

Has anyone else received such a card? Or can anyone shed any light on how I received such a card and what is the next step to removing myself from their 'mailing list'. I believe it is a way of extorting money, albeit $0.37 by the US Postal Service in conjunction with the US armed forces to support the ballooning cost of the war/mess (delete where applicable) in Iraq.
Are you male and aged between 18 and 26? Have you filed for adjustment of status? If so, you have to register, I'm afraid...
Old Jun 13th 2005, 10:10 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

When you come to the US and get your green card you get a postcard that you have to fill in if you are between 18 - 26, you can't vote but you can be drafted as a GC holder. No longer being eligible for the draft is about the only thing I like about being older than 26. I completed and mailed mine when I first got here many years ago and heard no more.
Old Jun 13th 2005, 10:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't know anything about it until I got the card in the mail. Turns out in Ohio if you are male between 18-26 you get signed up when you get your drivers license. Basically if you live here, immigrant and certain non-immigrant visas, you have to register if you are between 18-26, it can cause problems later on if you don't. If you were to be drafted and refuse to go you will be stripped of any visa or greencard you have and have a permanent ban on entering the US.
Old Jun 14th 2005, 12:04 am
Accepted Everywhere

SeveredNeurons has a brilliant futureSeveredNeurons has a brilliant futureSeveredNeurons has a brilliant futureSeveredNeurons has a brilliant futureSeveredNeurons has a brilliant futureSeveredNeurons has a brilliant futureSeveredNeurons has a brilliant future

So, I guess the best thing to do is, post the card back and hope that I don't get drafted. However, from reading numerous articles about month after month of the US armed forces missing their recruitment targets and the National Guard unable to attract or retain it's members...... :scared:
Old Jun 14th 2005, 1:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Lottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud ofLottie has much to be proud of

So, I guess the best thing to do is, post the card back and hope that I don't get drafted. However, from reading numerous articles about month after month of the US armed forces missing their recruitment targets and the National Guard unable to attract or retain it's members...... :scared:
Some interesting reading here for you...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...nation/special
Old Jun 14th 2005, 2:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

And another reason, you can be fined $250,000 for not registering. I'm glad you posted about it because I just moved and you have to file a change of address.
Old Jun 14th 2005, 3:02 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone had anyluck signing up online? I tried, it keeps saying I'm not a registered LPR....well technically I'm not, my AOS is approved pending the completion of my security check, apparantly, and in that state, I can't sign up online...

Just wondering if anyone else in that situation signed up by filling in the papers or just waited till they got the card?
Old Jun 14th 2005, 11:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

No, but I did the change of address online and it went through with no problems. A little easier than signing up I think though.
Old Jun 14th 2005, 2:57 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Not sure what the problem is, after all the British have a long tradition over many centuries of providing an Officer cadre for Colonial troops.

Why should it not continue into the 21st Century?
Old Jun 14th 2005, 3:21 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

I find this snip form http://www.sss.gov/FSwho.htm v. amusing:

Almost all other male noncitizens are required to register, including illegal aliens...
Old Jun 14th 2005, 6:43 pm
Forum Regular

Dant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by fatbrit
I find this snip form http://www.sss.gov/FSwho.htm v. amusing:

Almost all other male noncitizens are required to register, including illegal aliens...
I love it...says that illegal aliens must register. I wonder how often THAT happens.
Old Jun 14th 2005, 7:15 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dant3
I love it...says that illegal aliens must register. I wonder how often THAT happens.
If they did, all they would have to do to get rid of 'em is institute the draft
Old Jun 14th 2005, 7:18 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
It would also impose an effective minimum age requirement for many Visa'a.

Actually of course that only applies to Men.

Surprised we have not heard from any of the PC Feminists about the inequality of not being included?
Old Jun 14th 2005, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

Dant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bob
Oh, you KNOW they'd put the immigrants on the front line! At least it would give blacks and latinos a break from being cannon fodder for a while.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.