Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Selective Service

Selective Service

Old Apr 26th 2004, 9:57 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Question Selective Service

At what age does a male resident in the USA have to register for Selective Service?

Does it apply to visa holders as well as US citizens and Green Card holders?

I've been hearing mutterings that some Senators would like to bring in the draft.

Not that I'm worried about it, but I'm curious as my son will be 16 in the Autumn. I guess that being a British citizen the US authorities would have few qualms about finding a place for him somewhere in the military if they wanted to!
Old Apr 26th 2004, 9:58 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

all eligible males 18-25
Applies to everyone here who are on all types of immigrant visa's.
Old Apr 27th 2004, 2:37 am
BE Enthusiast

jaytee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Selective Service

Originally posted by Englishmum
At what age does a male resident in the USA have to register for Selective Service?

Does it apply to visa holders as well as US citizens and Green Card holders?

I've been hearing mutterings that some Senators would like to bring in the draft.

Not that I'm worried about it, but I'm curious as my son will be 16 in the Autumn. I guess that being a British citizen the US authorities would have few qualms about finding a place for him somewhere in the military if they wanted to!
see the official website @ http://www.sss.gov/

there is a section in the FAQ on aliens and dual nationals: http://www.sss.gov/FSaliens.htm
Old Apr 27th 2004, 1:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

Even illegal immigrants are required to register, let alone legal immigrants!
Old Apr 27th 2004, 5:31 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

But we're on non-immigrant visas!
Old Apr 27th 2004, 5:39 pm
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

But we're on non-immigrant visas!
But you are an alien. the second website that was put up by jaytee explains about aliens too.
Old Apr 27th 2004, 6:27 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

On the N400, when asking about Selective Service.

G. 33
Are you a male who lived in the USA at any time between your 18th and 26th birthday in any status except as a lawful nonimmigrant.

I have a question.
I became a Permanent resident after my 26th birthday
but arrived in the country on my initial I-94VW (not k-1, bad man I know)

What's the score with me?
I never registered.
Old Apr 27th 2004, 7:39 pm

Originally posted by Ben
But you are an alien. the second website that was put up by jaytee explains about aliens too.

Aha! I just looked at their brochure and I've just discovered that my son is exempt as he has a non-immigrant visa.

I reckon he would bugger off to England if there was a draft anyay....

Manc; I've no idea but I guess you are supposed to register. A $100 fine perhaps? It doesn't seem to say what the penalty is though if you don't. Honestly, without the internet how would one even know about Selective Service for non-US citizens if they don't make you register when you apply for the Green Card? (Maybe you have registered unknowingly - perhaps they slipped it in somewhere?

It looks like they get the 20 year olds first though....
Old Apr 27th 2004, 8:13 pm
@matthewb76

Manc; I've no idea but I guess you are supposed to register. A $100 fine perhaps?
It can bar me from US Citizenship and ever receiving federal funding for schools and the like...........

So finding out when my non immigrant visa turned into and immigrant visa is quite a concern
Old Apr 27th 2004, 8:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

My oldest son had to register when we arrived.My other (always in trouble) son has just registered 3 months late, they are both K-2's. Both have said they'll go back to the UK before they would fight for the US.
Now ... just before you all flame me, I will say in their defense that neither of them particuarily wanted to come to the US and neither of them has any intention of staying past the end of this year anyway *sigh* kids !!

Jan
Old Apr 27th 2004, 8:50 pm
@matthewb76

Originally posted by jan_michigan
Both have said they'll go back to the UK before they would fight for the US.
No different to me right now.
Old Apr 27th 2004, 9:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

effi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud of

Originally posted by jan_michigan
My oldest son had to register when we arrived.My other (always in trouble) son has just registered 3 months late, they are both K-2's. Both have said they'll go back to the UK before they would fight for the US.
Now ... just before you all flame me, I will say in their defense that neither of them particuarily wanted to come to the US and neither of them has any intention of staying past the end of this year anyway *sigh* kids !!

Jan
I for one would never flame you over something like this. My son is going on 33, so thankfully is too old should this arise. Anyway, I would never let him fight, if I had to drug him and fly him home or to Canada or wherever, I would do it. I don't agree with this war, having said that I do think we should all support the young guys who are over there, I am sure that the majority of them were taken by surprise. Poor little sods, all most of them wanted was money for a college education.

If anyone wants to flame me on this, well quite frankly I could not give a shit.
Old Apr 28th 2004, 12:09 am
bc1
Just Joined

bc1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well i won't flame you on that you're entitled to your view.

BUT it does seem to me tht you want to live in the US and have all the benefits that come from that then if things get tough you want US citizens and residents who do follow the law to do the fighting for you.

Maybe if you're going to live in a country you should take the good and the bad. I hope i'd be strong enough to do so if - god-forbid - the time comes.

Originally posted by effi
I for one would never flame you over something like this. My son is going on 33, so thankfully is too old should this arise. Anyway, I would never let him fight, if I had to drug him and fly him home or to Canada or wherever, I would do it. I don't agree with this war, having said that I do think we should all support the young guys who are over there, I am sure that the majority of them were taken by surprise. Poor little sods, all most of them wanted was money for a college education.

If anyone wants to flame me on this, well quite frankly I could not give a shit.
Old Apr 28th 2004, 12:40 am
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice

Originally posted by bc1

BUT it does seem to me tht you want to live in the US and have all the benefits that come from that then if things get tough you want US citizens and residents who do follow the law to do the fighting for you.

Maybe if you're going to live in a country you should take the good and the bad. I hope i'd be strong enough to do so if - god-forbid - the time comes.
A lot of people might argue that you should not be asked to make the ultimate sacrifice for a country that you cannot vote in. The right to live and or work in a country hardly constitutes legitimate grounds for being asked to die for it.

On the other hand, a citizen with the right to vote - and therefore change a government - has to put up with the decisions of the government of their choosing. And if instituting the draft is one of those decision, then so be it.
Old Apr 28th 2004, 12:48 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bc1

Actually, I don't think this is right. Living in a certain country doesn't mean you have to support everything its government does without question. I didn't in the country I was born in, and I don't here. A crucial part of upholding a free democracy is maintaining the right to criticise, disagree, and express that disagreement loud and clear. "My country right or wrong" has never struck me as a very good policy. There certainly have been causes I would have fought for - against Naziism in WWII, against the fascists in the Spanish civil war etc., - and there are others which I think are wrongheaded or just plain wrong. I had a German friend of the WWII era (my father's generation) who had left Germany due to exactly this principle, and fought with the Allies.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.