Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Seeing UK Christmas Ads is Fuelling My Homesickness!

Seeing UK Christmas Ads is Fuelling My Homesickness!

Old Nov 16th 2012, 10:18 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat027 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Seeing UK Christmas Ads is Fuelling My Homesickness!

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
The German Christmas Market in Birmingham
Ahhhh, my hometown
Old Nov 16th 2012, 10:33 pm
Banned

Ethelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dek
Ahhhh, my hometown
Mine for most of my life too. I remember the German market. Near the city hall if I remember rightly?
Old Nov 16th 2012, 11:28 pm
You aint seen me, right?

SpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond reputeSpoogleDrummer has a reputation beyond repute

Ha Bumhug! Christmas is what you make of it. Back in the UK I'd rather spend the day by myself playing World of Warcraft or something than spend time with people. Here.... well I'd rather do the same but my wife and kids won't let me
Old Nov 16th 2012, 11:44 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Sigh....just no warmth there though....
I'm sure someone could mess with the wiring to fix that

Anyway, saw a 35 pound turkey today in the grocery store. It was $110....WTF for just bird..and who has a oven big enough? Well someone who has enough to blow on a bird I guess...but that thing was almost as big as my 4 year old
Old Nov 17th 2012, 12:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

Anyway, saw a 35 pound turkey today in the grocery store. It was $110....WTF for just bird..and who has a oven big enough? Well someone who has enough to blow on a bird I guess...but that thing was almost as big as my 4 year old
35 pounds!?! Whoa!

We've decided to just go with the turkey breast this year, only the three of us... Not much sense in having all that leftover turkey for turkey, stuffing and cranberry sandwiches..... Or so my husband thinks....
Old Nov 17th 2012, 12:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Can't throw your tangerine skins in it can you?
It was something I found, quite by accident, the first year we were back from the UK (apparently a lot changes when you're only gone for 5 years! lol) And, I like to have it on and pretend like there's real warmth coming from it, that and annoy my family with continuous Christmas music! Yes nothing says Merry Christmas like fake fire and continuous Christmas music!
Old Nov 17th 2012, 12:25 am
Banned

Ethelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond repute

Christmas is banned anyway. Bollocks to all of you.
Old Nov 17th 2012, 12:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Ethelred_the_Unready
Christmas is banned anyway. Bollocks to all of you.
My credit card and husband thanks you!
Old Nov 17th 2012, 12:56 am
Forum Regular

New-and-unsure is just really niceNew-and-unsure is just really niceNew-and-unsure is just really niceNew-and-unsure is just really niceNew-and-unsure is just really niceNew-and-unsure is just really niceNew-and-unsure is just really niceNew-and-unsure is just really niceNew-and-unsure is just really nice

Originally Posted by dek
OMG, I have a big lump in my throat now after seeing that John Lewis ad.
I think I must be missing something with that ad. I just don't think it's that great. The Matalan ad is good this year (if extremely soppy).
Old Nov 17th 2012, 1:02 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Bob

You'd need 10lbs of stuffing just to fill that shit.

The only way to eat turkey is the Cuban way. Marinade it and lather it with butter, serve it with yuca, black beans and rice. Dry-ass turkey is not cool.
Old Nov 17th 2012, 1:49 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
35 pounds!?! Whoa!

We've decided to just go with the turkey breast this year, only the three of us... Not much sense in having all that leftover turkey for turkey, stuffing and cranberry sandwiches..... Or so my husband thinks....
The cooking time...well enough to run dry a small third world country I'm sure...it was mental
Old Nov 17th 2012, 1:59 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Bob
The cooking time...well enough to run dry a small third world country I'm sure...it was mental
National Grid will be laughing all the way to the bank.
Old Nov 17th 2012, 2:12 am
Banned

JRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to all

I want Happy Hannukah ads on tv so that Jewish people don't feel left out.
Old Nov 17th 2012, 12:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Fröhliche Weihnachten aus Schottland, aus Edinburgh - und aus England, aus Birmingham, aus Gross Britannien.