Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Seeing UK Christmas Ads is Fuelling My Homesickness!

Seeing UK Christmas Ads is Fuelling My Homesickness!

Old Nov 13th 2012, 12:48 am
Forum Regular

New-and-unsure is just really niceNew-and-unsure is just really niceNew-and-unsure is just really niceNew-and-unsure is just really niceNew-and-unsure is just really niceNew-and-unsure is just really niceNew-and-unsure is just really niceNew-and-unsure is just really niceNew-and-unsure is just really nice
Default Seeing UK Christmas Ads is Fuelling My Homesickness!

Xmas ads here just aren't the same.

I'm going back to the UK in 4 weeks, so I know I can't really complain, but man, it makes me feel like I am so totally in the wrong country :-(

13 months left here and counting.

Sorry, but felt the need to rant.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 1:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Seeing UK Christmas Ads is Fuelling My Homesickness!

Xmas is a big load of nothing here. At least you know you're going back
Old Nov 13th 2012, 1:14 am
Forum Regular

New-and-unsure is just really niceNew-and-unsure is just really niceNew-and-unsure is just really niceNew-and-unsure is just really niceNew-and-unsure is just really niceNew-and-unsure is just really niceNew-and-unsure is just really niceNew-and-unsure is just really niceNew-and-unsure is just really nice

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Xmas is a big load of nothing here. At least you know you're going back
I've been really surprised at how un-Christmassy it is!! I was pleased when they stepped it up a notch after Halloween, but really it's quite different from the UK.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 1:18 am
Banned

Ethelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by New-and-unsure

I'm going back to the UK in 4 weeks, so I know I can't really complain, but man, it makes me feel like I am so totally in the wrong country :-(

Do you have room in your suitcase for me?

Christmas isn't as big of a deal over here, but that's partly because they have Thanksgiving too, which is a BS holiday in my opinion "thank you Indians for allowing brave white man to steal your land and either kill your tribesmen or convert them to Christianity".

Nothing beats Christmas in the UK, even for an angry twat like me.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 1:22 am
Forum Regular

Haha, I agree (re the nothing beats UK xmas part!).

Think it's also because I'm expecting baby no 1 in March, which has made me even more sentimental than usual.

Glad it's not just me.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 1:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Have a good trip anyway
Old Nov 13th 2012, 3:35 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Santa was in the mall doing photo's during Halloween.

Tree's have been up in the shops for a month now.

Now Halloween is over with, it's gone into full blown Christmas mode in most shops already...be sick of it come Thanksgiving.

You're only here a year, so you might as well try and go out and enjoy what you might not be able to do if you lived in the UK
Old Nov 13th 2012, 2:46 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

You have to go find Christmas over here - it's just not the same when it's sunny.

Houston Plan of Action

1. Attend Nutcracker Market - mid November - Christmas overload baby!!
2. Crank up air conditioning so it feels cold, then snuggle under blanket to stay warm Turn on fireplace (with remote control people, we are not barbarians!)
3. Start buying Presents early.
4. Buy Cards and post - complain about how un-environmentally friendly they are and how you never get as many back as you send and how next year you will send e-mails instead.
5. Ignore Thanksgiving and instead go away (or paint kitchen hint hint!)
6. Once Thanksgiving is over decorate house
7. Buy overpriced Yankee Candles in Christmas flavours
8. Switch radio to Sunny 99.1 - 1st December - all Christmas all the time !!
9. Start Christmas Baking and surround yourself with Chrtistmas goodies - mincemeat pies, christmas cake, christmas pudding, cheese balls, quality street by the box, etc etc
10. Complain that it is all too commercial these days and hark back to when all you got for Christmas was new underwear and an orange
Old Nov 13th 2012, 2:56 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
The new scents this year are worse than the ones they did for Fathers Day.

A vomited bit of curry in a shop door way would smell better than most of the new scents. Minging.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 3:05 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
The new scents this year are worse than the ones they did for Fathers Day.

A vomited bit of curry in a shop door way would smell better than most of the new scents. Minging.
Have to say the 'dessert' ones are awful - after sniffing *all* of them I got 'Sparkling Cinnamon' for Christmas so my house will smell like the Christmas shop at Baxters Visitors Center in Fochabers.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 3:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

rallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to all

FM100.3 has started playing continual Christmas songs in chunks, here in SLC, and the LDS Temple lights go on soon - they've been stringing them since August, so you can guess how many there are! My attempts at photographing them last year without a tripod on my P&S are here.

I must admit that I don't miss the shops going into Christmas mode in late August - or that's what it always felt like in the UK/IOM, anyway.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 3:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by rallybug
FM100.3 has started playing continual Christmas songs in chunks, here in SLC, and the LDS Temple lights go on soon - they've been stringing them since August, so you can guess how many there are! My attempts at photographing them last year without a tripod on my P&S are here.

I must admit that I don't miss the shops going into Christmas mode in late August - or that's what it always felt like in the UK/IOM, anyway.
It's over the top in the UK, but at least there's a festive feeling about the day itself - all the just the same blandness here.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 3:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
You have to go find Christmas over here - it's just not the same when it's sunny.

Houston Plan of Action

1. Attend Nutcracker Market - mid November - Christmas overload baby!!
2. Crank up air conditioning so it feels cold, then snuggle under blanket to stay warm Turn on fireplace (with remote control people, we are not barbarians!)
3. Start buying Presents early.
4. Buy Cards and post - complain about how un-environmentally friendly they are and how you never get as many back as you send and how next year you will send e-mails instead.
5. Ignore Thanksgiving and instead go away (or paint kitchen hint hint!)
6. Once Thanksgiving is over decorate house
8. Switch radio to Sunny 99.1 - 1st December - all Christmas all the time !!
9. Start Christmas Baking and surround yourself with Chrtistmas goodies - mincemeat pies, christmas cake, christmas pudding, cheese balls, quality street by the box, etc etc
10. Complain that it is all too commercial these days and hark back to when all you got for Christmas was new underwear and an orange
Old Nov 13th 2012, 3:46 pm
Chocoholic !

My neighbors did this at the weekend, they are obviously in the Christmas mood....or they're nutters
Attached Thumbnails Seeing UK Christmas Ads is Fuelling My Homesickness!-534047_10200104419999630_2083695688_n.jpg  
Old Nov 13th 2012, 4:42 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by New-and-unsure

My daughter has suddenly become a huge Doctor Who fan, so we are working our way through them on Netflix. Last night was the Christmas special, and I was 'awe, look Christmas in England, isn't it lovely.' My husband pointed out it was actually a shitty market with a crap brass band playing Christmas songs.

I miss the UK at this time of year, more than at any other.

Is the English Victorian Christmas Fair thing on this year in SF? We could have a little outing if it's before you fly back, I've never been my hubby hates stuff like that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.