Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Seattle popular city for Brits to move to?

Seattle popular city for Brits to move to?

Old Oct 18th 2007, 7:08 am
Banned

Location: Orlando,Florida,living in Buckinghamshire for next 6 weeks.
YankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Seattle popular city for Brits to move to?

I'm curious to know if Washington state is a very popular destination for brits to live? Is there a large Brit population in washington state that rivals florida,new york and california?Or has the rainy UK weather put most Brits off the idea of moving to a area in the States that is similar to blighty weather wise?
Old Oct 21st 2007, 2:15 am
Banned

YankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Seattle popular city for Brits to move to?

Not one Brit in Washington state?
Old Oct 21st 2007, 1:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd guess, the answers to those questions of yours, are no! Apart from the last one about the weather, which is probably yes!
Old Oct 21st 2007, 3:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

farmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by YankeemovingAbroad
I'm curious to know if Washington state is a very popular destination for brits to live? Is there a large Brit population in washington state that rivals florida,new york and california?Or has the rainy UK weather put most Brits off the idea of moving to a area in the States that is similar to blighty weather wise?
Yankee.... the thing is ..... "most Brits" don't sit down and say ''ummm where shall we move to in the US"

They are following a fiance (who is already located somewhere), or a job (same thing), or other relatives ( because that's where they are) etc.

The exception might be Florida for those picking the business/investment routes (because that's where they went on holiday and they like the sun).
Old Oct 21st 2007, 4:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by farmerwife
Yankee.... the thing is ..... "most Brits" don't sit down and say ''ummm where shall we move to in the US"

They are following a fiance (who is already located somewhere), or a job (same thing), or other relatives ( because that's where they are) etc.

The exception might be Florida for those picking the business/investment routes (because that's where they went on holiday and they like the sun).
Very true. We moved to the Pacific Northwest because of jobs. We originally started in part of Coastal Oregon (very beautiful, no work) and moved further north. We've been here 3+ years now.
Old Oct 21st 2007, 6:24 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmmm you're just like Cassandra Trotter, you ask a lot of questions that have no pertinence to your situation. You don't live in the NW so wondering why this is of interest to you.
Old Oct 21st 2007, 6:26 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Tons. And tons in Oregon. I find that they aren't as 'clubby' here as they sound to be in other parts of the US. It's a special little corner of the world..

Plus, they're probably all out rock climbing, or snowboarding or surfing.. no time to hang online.
Old Oct 21st 2007, 11:23 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

a lot of brits want to reloacate to somewhere with better weather with less depressing cloudiness... since seattle has double the rainfall of london then its probably not a popular destination...
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 12:36 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by farmerwife

I suppose we were unusual then. We sat down and thought 'Hmm where would be nice to live in the US?' And we picked Seattle first time round, then Portland ME this time round.

I did 7 months in Seattle then we moved back home for education reasons. Actually I loved it. I loved the fact that it is a great city with a proper city centre full of shops, bars, restaurants, stuff to do.

Now I don't think I'd be as likely to move there - we are now a single income family and we'd struggle to find a house to buy that we could afford.

The whole time I lived there it hardly rained... we were lucky.
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 1:16 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Are you very bored, or do you write for one of those dreadful magazines that claims to give advice to people thinking of emigrating?
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 3:27 am
Pom tiddly pom

ali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond reputeali_j has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Are you very bored, or do you write for one of those dreadful magazines that claims to give advice to people thinking of emigrating?
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 5:10 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Rete
Hmmmm you're just like Cassandra Trotter, you ask a lot of questions that have no pertinence to your situation. You don't live in the NW so wondering why this is of interest to you.
I like to think of my self as a curious person who is interested in many places and things than just those pertaining to my current situation.Isn't that why we travel? New vistas and adventures?Acturally I'm seriously mulling over a move to the Pacific west.Orlando has great weather and many other up sides but after living here for 15 months it still doesn't feel like home.
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 5:24 am
Banned

Originally Posted by kins
I suppose we were unusual then. We sat down and thought 'Hmm where would be nice to live in the US?' And we picked Seattle first time round, then Portland ME this time round.

I did 7 months in Seattle then we moved back home for education reasons. Actually I loved it. I loved the fact that it is a great city with a proper city centre full of shops, bars, restaurants, stuff to do.

Now I don't think I'd be as likely to move there - we are now a single income family and we'd struggle to find a house to buy that we could afford.

The whole time I lived there it hardly rained... we were lucky.
Your opinion about Seattle is shared by several people who I've spoken with.The great night life,out doorsy inviroment and the general progressive feel to the place seem to be big factors why people are moving there.Probably a excellent place to raise kids,not that I'm quite ready for that.
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 5:27 am
Banned

Originally Posted by dbj1000

You found me out:curse:
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 11:51 am
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

I'd love to live in the Pacific NW, the rain wouldn't bother me at all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.