Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Seasoning wood.... QUICKLY

Seasoning wood.... QUICKLY

Old Jan 14th 2008, 12:40 am
Forum Regular

Amandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of light
Default Seasoning wood.... QUICKLY

Any ideas how to dry out some wood quickly??

We bought some pine logs a while ago for the fire, but its newly cut. (we're new to this whole fire thing!). Anyway apart from using LOTS of lighter fuel to keep the fire going I could do with some ideas how to dry it out quickly. So far we've cut it into thinner bits and have it in the garage stacked up like a game of Jenga, and apart from putting it in the oven on low I have no idea.

Also any ideas that reduce the likelyhood of me burning the house down would be good
Old Jan 14th 2008, 1:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Seasoning wood.... QUICKLY

1. I don't know of any way to season firewood quickly.

2. Pine is lousy firewood.

3. If you want to burn right now, look for seasoned Osage Orange.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 1:43 am
Forum Regular

cranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nicecranners99 is just really nice

You need 8 months to season pine according to this: http://www.wikihow.com/Season-Firewood
Alternately, buy some seasoned...

C
Old Jan 14th 2008, 1:43 am
Forum Regular

Amandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of light

ooops its not pine... its oak.. we did have pine and it was rubbish, so got oak instead!
Old Jan 14th 2008, 1:54 am
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amandabee
ooops its not pine... its oak.. we did have pine and it was rubbish, so got oak instead!
I think it's much as Cranners says buy seasoned now and use this years next whilst seasoning the year afters. Or pay loads of money for a kiln
Old Jan 14th 2008, 11:37 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

You're SOL, buy some seasoned and save this batch for next year. Burning green wood in a smokey, smouldering fire will increase your creosote problems as well.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 12:47 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amandabee
Any ideas how to dry out some wood quickly??

We bought some pine logs a while ago for the fire, but its newly cut. (we're new to this whole fire thing!). Anyway apart from using LOTS of lighter fuel to keep the fire going I could do with some ideas how to dry it out quickly. So far we've cut it into thinner bits and have it in the garage stacked up like a game of Jenga, and apart from putting it in the oven on low I have no idea.

Also any ideas that reduce the likelyhood of me burning the house down would be good
Buy some seasoned wood as everyone has said. We use locust wood.
I was told not to stack it in the garage incase of termites etc.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 2:35 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jumping doris
Buy some seasoned wood as everyone has said. We use locust wood.
I was told not to stack it in the garage incase of termites etc.
We stack ours about 100ft from the house and bring it down to the rack on the front porch a few days worth at a time.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 3:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

farmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to beholdfarmerwife is a splendid one to behold

Are you burning in a fireplace, or in a woodstove?

If in a fireplace, not a lot you can do.

If burning in a woodstove, get some seasoned wood to start your fire off really hot. Then everytime you add some wood to it, and are using your unseasoned wood, pull all your stops out to get it really blazing for ten minutes, before you shut it down. If this makes the room too hot, open a door for a while.
Then make sure you have your chimney cleaned professionally once a year.
Also agree with not storing it in a garage because of insects etc.
(Obviously, get seasoned next time!)
Old Jan 14th 2008, 3:29 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
We stack ours about 100ft from the house and bring it down to the rack on the front porch a few days worth at a time.
So do we. Well I should say "so does he".
Old Jan 14th 2008, 3:37 pm
Unmitigated Gall

So do we. Well I should say "so does he".
It's my 9yo's "job"! He's not a big fan of heating with wood...
Old Jan 14th 2008, 4:37 pm
Who?

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
It's my 9yo's "job"! He's not a big fan of heating with wood...
Every time the wood is delivered I feel optimistic that this will be the day my teenagers step forwards and say "Let us do that" but then I realise, pigs don't fly.

Actually, my eldest will stack the wood but she's gone to college. I quite like stacking it but I couldn't this time as I had just had a manicure. (Well timed, I thought)
Old Jan 14th 2008, 5:00 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Every time the wood is delivered I feel optimistic that this will be the day my teenagers step forwards and say "Let us do that" but
Hmmm

I think you are taking the wrong approach, instaed of hoping they will do it

tell them to do it

if they don;t like it tell them to find somewhere else to live
Old Jan 14th 2008, 5:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
Hmmm

I think you are taking the wrong approach, instaed of hoping they will do it

tell them to do it

if they don;t like it tell them to find somewhere else to live
I was thinking the same thing. Doris' teenagers are probably optimistic about their parents doing the laundry, buying the groceries, cooking the meals, etc. Maybe it's time Doris relieved them of their optimism...
Old Jan 14th 2008, 8:30 pm
Who?

Originally Posted by Bill_S
I was thinking the same thing. Doris' teenagers are probably optimistic about their parents doing the laundry, buying the groceries, cooking the meals, etc. Maybe it's time Doris relieved them of their optimism...
They are good at laundry and cooking, not too happy at grocery shopping but then we have very dull grocery stores here. They were always happy to go to Tesco etc.

The thing with the wood is that it may have insects in it. I know that here in PA the bugs are fairly small but they are much bigger than the UK and that's the problem. Add to that the fact that I got bitten quite badly by a spider and that has put them off all things outdoors. (I should add they are all girls so bugs are a big thing)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.