Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Scotland to Orlando with 16 yo. Advice!

Scotland to Orlando with 16 yo. Advice!

Old Sep 1st 2015, 8:38 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scotland to Orlando with 16 yo. Advice!

I would strongly, strongly recommend your son completing his highers before he moves to the US. Our son was credited for grades 9 & 10 on the grades he achieved in his GCSEs taken just before he moved. If the move had happened earlier in the year he would have stayed with his grandmother in order to complete year 11 & his exams.
Old Sep 1st 2015, 9:04 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizzyq
I would strongly, strongly recommend your son completing his highers before he moves to the US. Our son was credited for grades 9 & 10 on the grades he achieved in his GCSEs taken just before he moved. If the move had happened earlier in the year he would have stayed with his grandmother in order to complete year 11 & his exams.
Agree with lizzyq that this would be by far the easiest for him. He will be assessed for uni based on his highers, he might have to do any other compulsory stuff but he might not since he's not trying to get his high school diploma.

He could take his highers next summer, move out with you in the summer then sign up at the local community college to start on degree credits in autumn 2016 then either transfer to in-state college or do another year and transfer then. That would probably be the easiest and cheapest way.

In the meantime, when he arrives in the summer, get working on your green card application so that he isn't forced to leave the country when he's 21.

You are getting green cards in your deal aren't you???
Old Sep 1st 2015, 11:32 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Agree with lizzyq that this would be by far the easiest for him. He will be assessed for uni based on his highers, he might have to do any other compulsory stuff but he might not since he's not trying to get his high school diploma.
Not only this, but when our elder son took his SAT earlier this year he was 10 marks lower on the writing test than the threshold required by the UK university at which he is intending to study engineering, but if he had stayed in the UK he would not have studied English after GCSE. He contacted the admissions tutor with his GCSE results and they have not required him to resit the SAT.
Old Sep 2nd 2015, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

007fair is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise

He could take his highers next summer, move out with you in the summer then sign up at the local community college to start on degree credits in autumn 2016 then either transfer to in-state college or do another year and transfer then. That would probably be the easiest and cheapest way.

In the meantime, when he arrives in the summer, get working on your green card application so that he isn't forced to leave the country when he's 21.

You are getting green cards in your deal aren't you???
I am coming over on an L1 Visa the rest on an L2 I suppose have to apply for a GC once we are there. I think sitting the Highers here and getting everything transcripted over for his final year may be sensible.
Old Sep 2nd 2015, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by kins
We looked into moving to Orlando. There were very few public schools I was willing to send my children to so I looked mainly at private. The three I considered were Lake Highland (my favourite but also most expensive), Windemere Prep and Lake Mary Prep. Lake Highland is central, the other two are not. Give at least one a call and see what they say about transferring from abroad?
Will do! I am Ok with non private but of course would like to see them first
Old Sep 2nd 2015, 12:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

NatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond reputeNatashaB has a reputation beyond repute

You cannot apply for a green card - your employer has to do it. I would address that before you move anywhere - if they are not willing to sponsor your GC it places your child in a very awkward position given his age. Once they reach 21 they are no longer able to stay in the US on your visa - they have to qualify for a visa on their own merits (by marrying a US citizen, being a student on a J1, or getting an employer to sponsor them)
Old Sep 2nd 2015, 2:03 pm
Forum Regular

Stratts has a brilliant futureStratts has a brilliant futureStratts has a brilliant futureStratts has a brilliant futureStratts has a brilliant futureStratts has a brilliant futureStratts has a brilliant futureStratts has a brilliant future

We are currently going through a very similar situation, albeit our daughter is a year younger.

We are working under the following guidelines:
1) Moving school mid-year is counter-productive and harmful tot he education. My wife will stay in the UK with our daughter until the end of the school year next June

2) My employer is paying school fees and any costs needed to 'equalise' the qualification/experience my daughter has at the time of transferring - e.g. tutor costs to enable her to sit/pass entrance tests.

3) GCs are being applied for immediately

In your case, for the sake of a few months, leave the boy at home at let him finish his education, and get your employer to cover some of the additional costs that may be involved. You'll probably be saving them money on school fees anyway.
Old Sep 2nd 2015, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by NatashaB
You cannot apply for a green card - your employer has to do it. I would address that before you move anywhere - if they are not willing to sponsor your GC it places your child in a very awkward position given his age. Once they reach 21 they are no longer able to stay in the US on your visa - they have to qualify for a visa on their own merits (by marrying a US citizen, being a student on a J1, or getting an employer to sponsor them)
Thanks NatashaB! will check this
Old Sep 2nd 2015, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Stratts
We are currently going through a very similar situation, albeit our daughter is a year younger.

We are working under the following guidelines:
1) Moving school mid-year is counter-productive and harmful tot he education. My wife will stay in the UK with our daughter until the end of the school year next June

2) My employer is paying school fees and any costs needed to 'equalise' the qualification/experience my daughter has at the time of transferring - e.g. tutor costs to enable her to sit/pass entrance tests.

3) GCs are being applied for immediately

In your case, for the sake of a few months, leave the boy at home at let him finish his education, and get your employer to cover some of the additional costs that may be involved. You'll probably be saving them money on school fees anyway.
I don't have the luxury of school fees paid for
I'll check re the Green Card thing .. and yes the advice seems to be to finish the Highers first
Old Sep 3rd 2015, 7:27 am
Forum Regular

Well I have to decide .. and now the wife is not keen to go !! She is afraid of leaving her mum and all the other unknowns regarding school and finance.
Old Sep 3rd 2015, 1:25 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 007fair
Well I have to decide .. and now the wife is not keen to go !! She is afraid of leaving her mum and all the other unknowns regarding school and finance.
well, that's all very understandable.

I'm sure her mum would want her to go and experience something like this? Maybe get her on your side to reassure your wife that she'll come and visit you all? Make sure you always have the next visit back to Glasgow planned for?

Possibly leaving your baby behind would be my number 1 anxiety. Point out how little time you will all actually be apart - it's only a few weeks at a time because kids these days are hardly in school before they're getting another few weeks holiday....

Get as much information as you possibly can about your son's choices. We've given you directions to investigate, get on the phone/email and check everything out, talk about it amongst the 3 of you until a solid plan is in place.

Finances? Well, again - information and facts are your friends.

Most importantly though and I say this with a rueful smile on my face, she will need as much love and reassurance as you can possibly give her. This is an adventure and you are in it together.