Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Schools in Orange County, CA

Schools in Orange County, CA

Old Apr 26th 2018, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

fbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Schools in Orange County, CA

Originally Posted by Marc_ely
Being right at the top academically is only part of getting into college. Any college. I don't know much about acceptance to Ivy league colleges other than the acceptance rate is between 5% and 10%. I don't think any of them are in CA so you'd be on their out of state fees schedule. You might want to post a separate thread to ask about that stuff as lots of people on here have put their kids through college and there are some academics too.

Compared to central London you are probably right on costs. I was from semi rural Cambridgeshire.

Certain areas do have walk-able bits.
Just as an FYI, private schools don't have in state or out of state tuition as they are not public schools. Each student is charged the same tuition. A student from MA (where Harvard is) and one from CA will get charged the same amount for Harvard.
Old Apr 26th 2018, 7:57 pm
Just Joined

Amir77 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, very helpful specially the point on in state fees and financial aid. So you do agree that universities do not look at which school the applicant come from but their qualifications and grades?
Old Apr 26th 2018, 9:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amir77
Thanks, very helpful specially the point on in state fees and financial aid. So you do agree that universities do not look at which school the applicant come from but their qualifications and grades?
Amir
Here the big factors for college admissions are GPA and college admission test scores, either the SAT or ACT. For the prestigious colleges other factors like public service and extra curricular activities can be important. Most secondary schools public or private are unknowns outside their immediate area. I think too much concern is spent worrying about K thru 12 schools when it all depends on which teacher you have and parent support and encouragement. Especially with the internet it is so easy to augment a child's education with other resources outside the walls of their school. I
made it thru nine years of full time college and all I can remember about my grade school years is recess.
Old Apr 26th 2018, 9:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Schools in Orange County

IMO there are certain private schools who are feeder schools to the top universities. Also if you have a close relative who is an alma mater or you have very deep pockets and can give the uni a substantial donation...it opens doors to unis. If your child excels at sport they can more or less walk into any uni...including ivy leagues. A girl in my daughter’s class wasn’t bright...didn’t hand in homework/projects in on time...she got a place at an ivy because she could row. Likewise a friend’s daughter...the girl she roomed with was as thick as a brick...but she excelled at swimming.
Old Apr 27th 2018, 3:25 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

At the admissions presentations I went to last week they said quite specifically that what they want to see is the student doing well relative to others in the same school. So it doesn't help to go to a 'good' school particularly, because you will be expected to have higher grades, more APs, etc, than someone from a lower achieving school. Hopefully that answers your question?
Old Apr 27th 2018, 5:21 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kins
Instead we sent her to a magnet STEM high school which doesn't take your age/grade into account when placing you in subjects, and works on placement testing and ability.

In Westchester County, NY STEM is available to elementary students as well. Granddaughter's test scores were so high that she qualified for STEM in grade 2. Her reading level was above senior high school level by that age, as well.
Old Apr 27th 2018, 10:54 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ddsrph
Amir
Here the big factors for college admissions are GPA and college admission test scores, either the SAT or ACT. For the prestigious colleges other factors like public service and extra curricular activities can be important. Most secondary schools public or private are unknowns outside their immediate area. I think too much concern is spent worrying about K thru 12 schools when it all depends on which teacher you have and parent support and encouragement. Especially with the internet it is so easy to augment a child's education with other resources outside the walls of their school. I
made it thru nine years of full time college and all I can remember about my grade school years is recess.
Thank you. Basically hard work, academically and extracurricular, will be the big factors!
Old Apr 27th 2018, 10:56 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Schools in Orange County

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
IMO there are certain private schools who are feeder schools to the top universities. Also if you have a close relative who is an alma mater or you have very deep pockets and can give the uni a substantial donation...it opens doors to unis. If your child excels at sport they can more or less walk into any uni...including ivy leagues. A girl in my daughter’s class wasn’t bright...didn’t hand in homework/projects in on time...she got a place at an ivy because she could row. Likewise a friend’s daughter...the girl she roomed with was as thick as a brick...but she excelled at swimming.
Yes, it seems sports and extracurricular activities are really important. Well donation and alma mater doesn't apply to us so our girls should work hard
Old Apr 27th 2018, 10:57 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rete

In Westchester County, NY STEM is available to elementary students as well. Granddaughter's test scores were so high that she qualified for STEM in grade 2. Her reading level was above senior high school level by that age, as well.
Thank you. I still need to figure out the differences between each system and find out which of these exist in OC.
Old Apr 27th 2018, 11:00 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by kins
At the admissions presentations I went to last week they said quite specifically that what they want to see is the student doing well relative to others in the same school. So it doesn't help to go to a 'good' school particularly, because you will be expected to have higher grades, more APs, etc, than someone from a lower achieving school. Hopefully that answers your question?
Thank you. This "relativity" point was again really important.
Old Apr 27th 2018, 11:02 pm
Just Joined

Anyone here with experience of pre-school nurseries? Are there any good public ones or one should only go private?
Old Apr 30th 2018, 3:57 pm
Forum Regular

fbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone here with experience of pre-school nurseries? Are there any good public ones or one should only go private?

What age? Most places don't have public nurseries. Some areas do starting at age 4. Generally though, if you're asking about education before age 4, then it's private.
Old Apr 30th 2018, 6:16 pm
Forum Regular

Marc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond repute

Remember, kids don't have to start school till Kindergartem.
https://www.cde.ca.gov/ci/gs/em/kinderinfo.asp

However... there are some government schemes. In the Saddleback district they have am early learning centre and my two little ones went there. It was about $500 a trimester, so is part funded by the state. I would guess Irvine has something similar but I don't know for sure. But these are part time, a couple of mornings a week.
If you want full time then they're in a Montessori etc. They have those everywhere.
Old Apr 30th 2018, 6:38 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by fbf2006
What age? Most places don't have public nurseries. Some areas do starting at age 4. Generally though, if you're asking about education before age 4, then it's private.
Thank you.
Old Apr 30th 2018, 6:41 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Marc_ely
Remember, kids don't have to start school till Kindergartem.
https://www.cde.ca.gov/ci/gs/em/kinderinfo.asp

However... there are some government schemes. In the Saddleback district they have am early learning centre and my two little ones went there. It was about $500 a trimester, so is part funded by the state. I would guess Irvine has something similar but I don't know for sure. But these are part time, a couple of mornings a week.
If you want full time then they're in a Montessori etc. They have those everywhere.
Thank you. Now I’m a bit more confused with that link and the post above yours. So at what age compulsory education in US starts? When we say kindergarten is that equivalent to reception here in UK?
So anything before compulsory kindergarten is private more or less. I checked out Montessori which is around $3500 per month
😲

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.