Reload this Page >

Schooling for children?

Schooling for children?

Old May 19th 2018, 2:47 pm
Just Joined

drnewstorm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Schooling for children?

Hello everyone,

Forgive me if this is not in the correct place, I've just joined this site. I was hoping someone on here could help clear up a few confusions I have regarding schools in America.
Let me start of by saying, I graduated university a year or so ago, and I'm a Doctor, I've just finished all my exams I need in order for me to be able to practice in the USA.
I've pretty much secured a job in Houston, Texas. So I do intend on moving fairly soon, however, the certain date is yet to be confirmed. My only concern was regarding purchasing a house, you see my wife and I plan on having children when we move to the US. Obviously their schooling won't matter for the first 4-5 years, in which case we'll just be renting a flat anyways. The question comes to when I'm ready to buy a house, is it similar to the UK in which we have catchment areas for schools etc.?
I've been looking at good state schools in Houston, and I'm really confused as to why they are called independent school districts, when they are not private schools?
And also the fact that, say for example, one of the best ISD in Houston is Katy ISD, there are so many schools in that district, obviously some will not be as good as others, so how does that work then? If I applied for my child to go to a better school and they don't have any space, then do I move onto the next slightly lower down on the league table school in that district or what?
Or can I apply for any districts school, regardless of where I live?

I would really appreciated being enlightened in this aspect, as it's confusing me to no end.

Thank you very much.
Old May 19th 2018, 4:26 pm
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Schooling for children?

Does the "pretty much secured" job in Houston come with a 100% guarantee that the employer is sponsoring your visa? Or is either of you a USC? Without the permission to live and work here, a job offer isn't worth the paper it's written on and house-hunting and school rating reasearch is all a waste of time.
Old May 19th 2018, 5:08 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

god help your patients if you can't even google something so flipping simple.
https://www.google.com/search?q=what...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Old May 19th 2018, 5:39 pm
Forum Regular

strat has a reputation beyond reputestrat has a reputation beyond reputestrat has a reputation beyond reputestrat has a reputation beyond reputestrat has a reputation beyond reputestrat has a reputation beyond reputestrat has a reputation beyond reputestrat has a reputation beyond reputestrat has a reputation beyond reputestrat has a reputation beyond reputestrat has a reputation beyond repute

We live in Katy (actually Cinco, silver Ranch). Have been here around 7 years. My son started from 'pre-school' kids r kids and is now grade 4. Take a look at some real estate sites like Trulia/Zillow for example and look at homes and their related school ratings. Probably biased but we tended to stay south of I-10. The area is expanding and has been rapidly for many years, so new schools are popping up all the time. Not sure the reliability of the school ratings but many here score in the 8,9, 10 range fwiw. We quite like area, you can ride bikes, walk, but like most of Texas, shops are a car ride away. oh yes, good grocery shops here.... but I digress, there are some private schools but we never used, ISD (KISD) is the inner school district, that draws on the local tax base... beyond that not really sure. Basically you pick an area to live and the schools are designated to that area. Because of the rapid expansion, new schools are re-zoned all the time, more stable in older areas of Katy/Cinco Ranch. Some really nice housing, all the best with your search...
Old May 19th 2018, 7:58 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927
Does the "pretty much secured" job in Houston come with a 100% guarantee that the employer is sponsoring your visa? Or is either of you a USC? Without the permission to live and work here, a job offer isn't worth the paper it's written on and house-hunting and school rating reasearch is all a waste of time.
This is the only relevant factor.... and, if the company has in fact said they are sponsoring you, did they say which one? If it's an H1B then you've looking at next October (2019) before you can start, and that's if you're successful in the April lottery.
Old May 20th 2018, 12:42 am
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

And if he only graduated from university "a year or so ago" (no idea why the need to be so vague with the date), I find it hard to believe he has completed the residency required to be able to practice medicine. Being able to practice medicine in the US requires far more than just university exams.

It doesn't add up.
Old May 21st 2018, 8:44 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and welcome,

We have a WIKI that outlines the US education system in general and some of the specifics needed to enroll your kids in school. Might answer some of your questions.

https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Educa...s_in_school%3F
Old May 23rd 2018, 11:42 pm
Forum Regular

fbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927
And if he only graduated from university "a year or so ago" (no idea why the need to be so vague with the date), I find it hard to believe he has completed the residency required to be able to practice medicine. Being able to practice medicine in the US requires far more than just university exams.

It doesn't add up.
Most (all?) foreign educated doctors are required to do residency if they want to practice in the US. I assume the job he's referring to is residency, at least hopefully!

He very well could have graduated a year or so ago and passed all the necessary USMLE exams and gotten a spot in a residency program. The most likely visa going to be used is the J1 as I'm told that's what many residency programs use now. It could also be an H1 (not capped).

OP (original poster) is that the case? Anyway don't worry about ISDs and such just yet. Get here and figure that out. But basically not all schools in an ISD are equal. When looking at houses, check what school the house is zoned to. I live in the CyFair ISD, which is apparently one of the biggest in Texas. It's generally a good ISD but not all the schools are sought after.