Reload this Page >

School Years Question

School Years Question

Old Jul 9th 2010, 5:34 pm
Just Joined

CO.Ski is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: School Years Question

Originally Posted by Sproik
I am emigrating with my family to the USA later in July. We're just sorting out schooling but I'm unsure for my youngest two of school "grades".

My 8 year old (turned 8 in May) is in Y3 (would be going into Y4) - this would place her in "Grade 2" going into "Grade 3" in September. My concern is that she's top of her class here in the UK, she really is a bright kid - how will she find grade 3?

My son is 6 (turned 6 in Jan) and is in Y1 going up to Y2. This would put him in Kindergarten going into grade 1. I think he'd be ok with this, he's very bright with maths but reading is slightly below average for the UK.

Thoughts? My main concern here is my daughter not being challenged, equally I'm not sure (even if it's an option) of her going ahead a year is viable from the social standpoint...

Both of them have been in school for 2 years before Y1 (half day playschool, full time reception year)

Hi just a quick note hopefully to help ease your fears. My son turned 8 in April and will be going into 3rd grade in the US (public/state school). My sisters son who turned 8 in November 2009 is in school in the UK considered one of the best in their area, I think he will be going into Y4. Anyway we spent 3 weeks together in February 2010, and the boys had school work to do. My son's work was of a significantly higher level than his cousins. His spelling words were harder by far, his assignments were more complex and the science his cousin was doing was the stuff my son had covered in first grade.

I think a lot of it depends on the school and the district you will be sending your children to, it is not by any means a given that education in the UK is better or more challenging than school in the US, I have to admit that was my assumption, but I have been pleasantly surprised and thoroughly impressed by the quality and standard of education my son is receiving.
Old Jul 9th 2010, 10:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

FWIW both of my kids kept to their education level not age level when we arrived here when they were 3 and 5 (the five yr. old having finished reception in the UK and so went in to first grade with kids who were a year older) We were supposed to be going back to the UK after a couple of years so thought this was the best option if they could cope, which they have. They are now both in high school and the age difference between themselves and their class mates has never been a problem....just my half penny worth!
Old Jul 10th 2010, 4:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by koetsier
Hi there
so nice to hear that! We had a wonderful 5 day trip and found louisville to be an amazing place, the people are so friendly and go out of their way to make you feel welcome, the food is great and the weather is divine (although i know winter is harsh).

We just bought a house in Lake Forest and our children are going to CAL.

Would be lovely to meet up once we are settled there, nice to "know" someone!
I guess the weather is in the eye of the beholder. Anything hotter than 80F, and I can't stand it, so I'm not liking the recent heat waves of 95F and 80% or higher humidity so that it feels higher than 100F.

I can't tell you much about CAL as I was a public school kid. I could ask around to a few of my friends if you want, to see what their perspectives are on CAL. The Lake Forest area is quite nice - a few of my professors live in that subdivision IIRC. We actually live about 15miles north of Louisville, on the way towards Cincinnati, but we come into L'ville quite regularly as all my family live there.

Shoot me a private message if you to want to meet up for drinks sometime in the future. We can share where a few of the nice places for food/boutiques/etc are, and where you can stock up some UK food items.
Old Jul 10th 2010, 2:39 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisa67
They are now both in high school and the age difference between themselves and their class mates has never been a problem....just my half penny worth!
My mom thought the same as you when we left the UK. It wasn't a problem until I was in high school. By then, my friends were almost 2 years older than me, were getting a driver's license, and were dating girls. I wasn't yet old enough - and girls who are 17 and 18 y/o don't want to date a guy who's only 16 - even though we were all in grade 12... and girls who are 16 don't want to date a 16 y/o guy either - they wanted to date a guy who has access to a car not driven by a parent! Now, that may be shallow on their part... but it was reality for me.

To this day, I wish my mom had put me in an age-appropriate grade rather than a skill-appropriate grade.

Ian
Old Jul 10th 2010, 6:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
My mom thought the same as you when we left the UK. It wasn't a problem until I was in high school. By then, my friends were almost 2 years older than me, were getting a driver's license, and were dating girls. I wasn't yet old enough - and girls who are 17 and 18 y/o don't want to date a guy who's only 16 - even though we were all in grade 12... and girls who are 16 don't want to date a 16 y/o guy either - they wanted to date a guy who has access to a car not driven by a parent! Now, that may be shallow on their part... but it was reality for me.

To this day, I wish my mom had put me in an age-appropriate grade rather than a skill-appropriate grade.

Ian
My son, who is about to be a junior (is 15) loves it that his friends get to drive him around for another few months...don't ask me why!!
He does look a lot older than his age so maybe this has had something to do with it.
Daughter, who is about to be a freshman (is 13) hasn;t mentioned any problems and her brother keeps his eye on any suitors so so far, so good...just horses for courses I guess.
Another good thing that we've discussed with our son, is that he could take a year out either before or during college and still go back and be in the same age group as his peers....this might help as he wants to be a police officer and is not yet a GC holder (let alone a USC!)