Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

School grade testing- any experience?

School grade testing- any experience?

Old Aug 18th 2012, 1:34 am
BE Enthusiast

tuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: School grade testing- any experience?

http://www.mathfactcafe.com/ <- has flashcards you can customize

http://www.internet4classrooms.com/grade_level_help.htm <- good for language art links
Old Aug 18th 2012, 6:50 am
Just Joined

alihouse is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone for the really helpful replies.
I got his US reading books from Amazon to give us a start and the school has emailed us some math(s) problems to look at.
Things like American spellings and vocab are hardly noticeable to him, it's going to be me who has that problem. I've spent the last 12 years trying to anglicise my hubby....

Eddie has also been in school in England for 3 years. Last year he was in Year 1-2, which meant he was with some 7 year olds and it was never a problem.

The only thing that matters for me is that he is happy and gets settled in, I would prefer 1st Grade as I think boredom would be the worst thing for him, he can definitely get distracted if things are too easy....

Thanks again. I will update next week after we've gone through the school test on Friday morning.
Old Aug 18th 2012, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

Peachbythebeach is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by alihouse
Last year he was in Year 1-2, which meant he was with some 7 year olds and it was never a problem.
I would really push for First Grade then. Good luck.
Old Aug 18th 2012, 4:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peachbythebeach
I would really push for First Grade then. Good luck.
There have been many different stories from different people on BE about placing their child in different grades. Some of the happiest outcomes have been to put their child a grade down from the UK where their child adjusted rapidly with the parent indicating that it was the best decision ever made.

Even if the child is advanced for his/her grade, many schools have gifted programs (usually in the later grades) where the child can attend advanced studies classes but still can overall remain with his/her age group for most classes.
Old Aug 18th 2012, 5:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
There have been many different stories from different people on BE about placing their child in different grades. Some of the happiest outcomes have been to put their child a grade down from the UK where their child adjusted rapidly with the parent indicating that it was the best decision ever made.

Even if the child is advanced for his/her grade, many schools have gifted programs (usually in the later grades) where the child can attend advanced studies classes but still can overall remain with his/her age group for most classes.
Yes, but this is between kindergarten and first grade. The child is 6 and is old enough for first grade, already reads and writes (I'm assuming since he's been in school in the UK for three years.) I can imagine a 2.5 hour day with younger children that are just learning to do this would be pretty boring.
Old Aug 18th 2012, 6:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Yes, but this is between kindergarten and first grade. The child is 6 and is old enough for first grade, already reads and writes (I'm assuming since he's been in school in the UK for three years.) I can imagine a 2.5 hour day with younger children that are just learning to do this would be pretty boring.
Each case is different. I am not recommending one over the other.
Old Aug 18th 2012, 6:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
Each case is different. I am not recommending one over the other.
Very true! And I'm just responding on this case at hand.
Old Aug 20th 2012, 12:41 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

The wiki discusses the issue of class placement a bit here:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Educat...s_in_school%3F

There is also this thread which is worth a read (despite a bit of ranting in the middle). Strongly recommend taking a look at it as well.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=643985

Basically, there is no one size fits all answer. To paraphrase Sir Ken Robinson, a child's education should not be based on their "date of manufacture". You'll be best served if you take the time to talk to their educators in the UK, find out what they are studying and how your child is doing in that, along with (if possible) what sort of environment they excel in and then discuss with the counterparts here about the current class syllabus and what sort of educational philosophy they attempt at the new school. It may turn out in a smaller class with a number of 'red-shirted' kids you may find a lower grade just as satisfying than a higher grade level, or it may be that the higher grade in this school is just keeping up with the one back home. There simply is no one universal right answer for your situation.

Good luck with the testing.

Old Sep 29th 2012, 9:40 am
BE Enthusiast

LeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

My 6 year old has a one to one test booked with his new school at 7.30am the morning after we arrive in the States!

They have told us what to practise on which is great, but just wondered if anyone's kids had been through this and how it was done / how it went? I would like to prepare him as much as possible, I'm much more nervous about it than he is....

It's to decide if he will go in first grade or kindergarten.

Thanks for your help

Alison.
Hi, we are looking to move in March, my kids will turn 6 in January. What sort of things did they ask your son in his test? Also, did you already have somewhere lined up to live? We would be moving to the States and then shopping around for rentals on arrival. I assumed that i couldn't contact the schools until we had secured a rental? Which means they might miss a couple of weeks of school whilst we sort things out (beforei the Easter holidays)
Old Sep 29th 2012, 6:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't worry too much as it's not set in stone and he can move between grades.

You can contact the school before you know your exact address.
Old Sep 29th 2012, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

Bayleaf_01 will become famous soon enoughBayleaf_01 will become famous soon enough

Hi all,

My 6 year old has a one to one test booked with his new school at 7.30am the morning after we arrive in the States!

They have told us what to practise on which is great, but just wondered if anyone's kids had been through this and how it was done / how it went? I would like to prepare him as much as possible, I'm much more nervous about it than he is....

It's to decide if he will go in first grade or kindergarten.

Thanks for your help

Alison.
We arrived in the US in May, but couldn't register with the school district until after the school year had finished.
My son turned 8 this week and is settling well into 3rd grade.
My daughter is 7 on 30th November - is is the cut off date for the school district, so she scrapped into 2nd grade by one day. She has been there 4 weeks now and the school have been testing to she if she is in the correct grade. We have been considering moving her down to 1st grade, but her latest results suggest she is doing well with math(s) and english, but struggling a bit with reading. They are suggesting extra support to bring her reading up. They have been really good monitoring her progress and how she has settled. Yes she will be the last one to drive, the last one able to go to the movie, but it would seem to hold her back would be worse and she may loose interest in school if it's too easy.
A good school should monitor progress and not just test and then lock in the grade selection.

I hope you have a good experience and your son settles well whichever class he ends up in.
Old Sep 29th 2012, 8:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

LeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bayleaf_01
We arrived in the US in May, but couldn't register with the school district until after the school year had finished.
Is that because it was near the end of the school year? How much school did he have to miss?
Old Sep 29th 2012, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

Bayleaf_01 will become famous soon enoughBayleaf_01 will become famous soon enough

We needed proof of residency in the district and didn't sign a lease until after school had finished for the summer. They started first day of term in the age appropriate grade.
Old Sep 30th 2012, 1:16 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
I put my very bright 6yo in first grade - she'd just finished year 1 in the UK so academically she was ready for 2nd grade but socially she was much better in 1st grade. It worked out really well.
Old Sep 30th 2012, 12:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

tuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond reputetuxedocat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bayleaf_01
My son turned 8 this week and is settling well into 3rd grade.
My daughter is 7 on 30th November - is is the cut off date for the school district, so she scrapped into 2nd grade by one day. She has been there 4 weeks now and the school have been testing to she if she is in the correct grade. We have been considering moving her down to 1st grade, but her latest results suggest she is doing well with math(s) and english, but struggling a bit with reading. They are suggesting extra support to bring her reading up. They have been really good monitoring her progress and how she has settled. Yes she will be the last one to drive, the last one able to go to the movie, but it would seem to hold her back would be worse and she may loose interest in school if it's too easy.
A good school should monitor progress and not just test and then lock in the grade selection.

I hope you have a good experience and your son settles well whichever class he ends up in.
A Beka Book has a great phonics program
http://www.abeka.com/ChristianSchool...sSixSteps.aspx

The Basic Phonics Sounds CD
Basic Phonics Charts 1–2
Handbook for Reading

I used it with my son years ago and have bought it for a few friends that had a struggling reader. I put the charts in page protectors and played the tape (CD now) and he would flip through it.
There are practice readers that go along with it, I would look on ebay for those to get a better price.

starfall.com is a good site too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.