Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Saturday Mornings...nostalgia

Saturday Mornings...nostalgia

Old Feb 29th 2004, 3:43 pm
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by doctor scrumpy
That was the late 60s ? I never knew you taught Sunday School Rock
Oh yeah...as if! I hated Sunday school!
Old Mar 1st 2004, 12:44 am
GJB
dart throwin' doofus

GJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to beholdGJB is a splendid one to behold

i too used to watch Monkey... wasn't it on at about 6pm on a friday? i used to love when he would blow on his fingers and wave them in front of his mouth to make his cloud appear... then he would hop on his cloud and fly off...

totally believable when you are 7 years old...

GJB
Old Mar 1st 2004, 10:18 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Rockgurl
Does anyone remember Monkey? It was a surreal Japanese programme about a Monkey man, a Dalai Llama type figure called Tripitaka, and Pigsy. I absolutely loved that show!

I also loved Hong Kong Phooey, Top Cat and The Persuaders. I used to rush home from Sunday school to watch the Persuaders. Bloody marvellous it was.
I loved Monkey, that was a great show.

Also anyone remember "tales of the golden monkey"....and every summer holiday they had "Silas" that was like a European type - dubbed show, pretty funky.

Then there was Huckleberry Finn also.
Old Mar 1st 2004, 10:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

Was anyone watching (insert BBC saturday morning show here, can't remember which one) when the power cut as the Pet Shop Boys were supposedly singing live. It very quickly became obvious that they were in fact miming. They were livid, it was hilarious.
Old Mar 2nd 2004, 1:36 am
Through the square window

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by snorkmaiden
Was anyone watching (insert BBC saturday morning show here, can't remember which one) when the power cut as the Pet Shop Boys were supposedly singing live. It very quickly became obvious that they were in fact miming. They were livid, it was hilarious.
Sounds like Going Live that one. Will have to do some digging around to confirm, but I'm pretty much certain.

My favourite was the phone-in (on Going Live) with Five Star and the kid swore live on air.

Another favourite - going back a bit - with TISWAS and the blokes in the cage. One of them lit up a spliff and Chris Tarrant was franticly throwing buckets of water at them to put it out.
Old Mar 2nd 2004, 4:59 am
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

I still miss the Flumps, Bagpus and Ivor The Engine.

My wife went nuts when I won the Trivial Pursuit Pop Culture game with a video clip from Battle of The Planets. Man I miss that show.

I found it funny that when I finally get to America, no-one has heard of:

1) Street Hawk (Knight Rider on a motorbike)

2) Automan (kinda like Tron but a series).

3) Banana Splits (my wife thinks I'm crazy when I desribe this).

4) Man From Atlantis (Patrick Duffy with webbed hands and feet before his Dallas days).

5) The Littlest Hobo (even Lassie couldn't help a school bus in a lake. This dog rocked )
Old Mar 2nd 2004, 5:02 am
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

Another favourite - going back a bit - with TISWAS and the blokes in the cage
Lenny Henry and his Trevor McDonut

Do you remember the adult spin-off, O.T.T.??

It was basically an adults version of Tiswas. This was only shown late at night with adult cartoons to allow Dad's to stare at Sally James' breasts
Old Mar 2nd 2004, 6:23 am
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by rincewind

My wife went nuts when I won the Trivial Pursuit Pop Culture game with a video clip from Battle of The Planets. Man I miss that show.

3) Banana Splits (my wife thinks I'm crazy when I desribe this).

4) Man From Atlantis (Patrick Duffy with webbed hands and feet before his Dallas days).

5) The Littlest Hobo (even Lassie couldn't help a school bus in a lake. This dog rocked )
Another one here on the Monkey fan club list.

I was talking about Ivor the Steam Engine a couple of days ago. I lived in North Wales for several years as a child and grew up watching it in Welsh

Pshdecuff.

Bagpuss - I've tried to describe this one to Americans..lmao

I bet no-one remembers Vicky the Viking ????
Old Mar 2nd 2004, 6:24 am
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by lairdside
Another one here on the Monkey fan club list.

I was talking about Ivor the Steam Engine a couple of days ago. I lived in North Wales for several years as a child and grew up watching it in Welsh

Pshdecuff.

Bagpuss - I've tried to describe this one to Americans..lmao

I bet no-one remembers Vicky the Viking ????
Oh, I miss "Give My Head Peace" and "The Fast Show".
Old Mar 2nd 2004, 7:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Jabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond reputeJabba1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Englishmum
I was recently flicking through the various TV channels on the remote (thinking of the Bruce Springsteen song "89 channels and nuthin' on) and I came across..

..."Skippy - The Bush Kangaroo".

I felt a wave of nostalgia as I used to watch it all the time when I was a little girl.

I've never forgotten the title theme tune - I was even humming it when I had my first encounter with a wild 'roo in Australia.

I saw a couple of episodes recently on some cable channel that I can't remember the name of. It looked to me like Australia's answer to "Flipper".

I believe the theme went like this.....

Skippy...Skippy.....Skippy, the bush kangaroo. Skippi....Skippy.....Skippy, our friend ever true.

As I recall, the theme was played on a banjo, with an accompanying harmonica.

I never saw it as a child, but the two episodes I saw recently were about as exciting as watching paint dry.....nothing personal.

BTW, anyone besides me remember "Mr Horatio Nibbles"? It was about a little British girl named Mary Bunting (played by Rachel Brennock) who had a 6 foot talking invisible rabbit for a friend. I remember the legendary British actor Freddie Jones had a bit part as a gardner. Surely I'm not the only one who remembers it.

My favorite Japanese import of all time was Starblazers. It had to do with the "Starforce", a team of youngsters who had to save earth from the evil Desslok who wishes to destroy it. I thought the Comet Empire with the vile Prince Zordar was a forunner to Star Wars and the Death Star.

I remember "Battle of the Planets" only too well. Allen Young was the voice of 7 zark 7. I also remember that Keye Luke was the voice of Zoltar. I seem to remember that a lot of the show's violence had to be edited before it could be released in the US. The original Japanese vesion, which is available on DVD, contained a great deal more violence than the version I was used to seeing. Does anyone remember the episode were the G-Force manages to un-mask Zoltar? He appeared to have long blond hair, the G-Force members all seem to think he was a woman.
Old Mar 2nd 2004, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

Scorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of light

Ah, Vicky the Viking, Tales of the golden monkey.. I remember them!

There was also a cartoon I remember from years back, and I've just googled with a really hot, fresh cup of tea, and I found it was called The Space Sentinels. Anyone else remember this one? I seem to remember the big holographic head being affected by the bad guys or something, and being quite scary! Now, if only I could find these to download...
Old Mar 2nd 2004, 2:42 pm
Blindside Fumbler

Tone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of lightTone is a glorious beacon of light

Suprised nobody has mentioned Champion the Wonder Horse, Tiwas was class though, Compost Corner, The Phantom Flan Flinger and of course Sally James
Old Mar 2nd 2004, 2:54 pm
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by rincewind

Loved all of the above shows apart from the Flumps and Bagpuus, they were more of my sister's bag.

I remember watching Ivor the Engine on Dutch TV, they called him "Stalje de Lokomotiv" (sp).

Anyone remember Manimal about the guy who transformed into animals to solve crimes?

In related news I had heard that a Dukes of Hazzard Movie was being made but I understand now that an A-Team Movie is also in the pipeline. 80's nostalgia rules!
Old Mar 2nd 2004, 2:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

Suprised nobody has mentioned Champion the Wonder Horse, Tiwas was class though, Compost Corner, The Phantom Flan Flinger and of course Sally James
I mentioned Champion the Wonderhorse in the first post you flump

We are branching out beyond our Saturday mornings now it seems, how about Mr. Ben, the Flumps, Magic Roundabout, Willow the Wisp.

I remember Mr Ben and the Flumps were on around lunchtime - either before or after Pebble Mill.

What was the show Itsy and Bitsy were on called and what about Fingerbobs.

Fingermouse, Fingermouse
I am a sort of wondermouse
A hit, a miss, A blundermouse
Fingermouse, that's me
I am a mouse called Fingermouse
A mouse with guts and nerve
I get past cats so easily
with my famous body swerve

I loved that show!!!

My other mouse favourite was Dangermouse.

He's The Best
He's The Greatest
He's The Greatest Secret Agent In The World!
He's The Ace - He's Amazing...
He's the Strongest... He's The Quickest.... He's The Best!

For all your nostalgia needs check out
Nostalgia Central

Last edited by snorkmaiden; Mar 2nd 2004 at 3:01 pm.
Old Mar 2nd 2004, 3:04 pm
spiggle meister

Location: Manchester-Surrey-Coventry-Hampshire-West Yorkshire, now Woodland Hills,CA!
crazi_daizi is an unknown quantity at this point

I used to love Trevor and Simon, think they were on a few Saturday morning shows. Philup Schofield and Gordon the Gopher were big favourites too , Andy Crane and that stupid duck weren't a patch on him! Or Andi Peters. Also will never forget when Toby Anstis was interviewing Aswad and some kid on the phone in asked what Aswad thought about tw@ts!! Toby's face was classic!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.