Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

SatNav systems?

SatNav systems?

Old May 16th 2006, 3:33 am

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute
Default SatNav systems?

Okay before you tell me to read a map trust me its better I don't. Today was an hour late for a client. I have been getting by using MapQuest but today it seemed to have got confused and given a wild guess. I was miles away, late, stressed and just ready to give up.

I really need to keep this job even though driving to new places every day is doing me head in... So I'm wondering about a satnav system...

BL's reasons why not..
I cant afford it
I've heard they are crap to see in bright sunlight
I dont know if one will work on my jalopy hoopty mobile
I've heard some are not so accurate

Any recommendations would be really appreciated
I have done some research and have heard good and bad on Tom Tom and Garmin.
Old May 16th 2006, 4:55 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SatNav systems?

If you've already got a PDA you can get attachments for it, which might not be bad...

But for a standalone, garmin, it's a good gps, but a shite route finder...TomTom Go's are good though, but expensive if you want extra maps, but what's nice, you can plonk in extra details like where sites of interest could be, whether that's historical places or just speed cameras....and also it's easy to plonk in destinations, can plonk in post code/zip code and then house number etc...also easy to remove from motor so you can keep it on you, so it don't get pinched.

Anyway, till you get one, give www.maps.google.com a go and also http://www.maps.msn.com/(1b3400aasul...i55)/Home.aspx

mapquest tends to be a bit shite...it's still not added the augusta coastal connector, and that's been open for a year and a bit now, and there route adds an extra 45 mins to get to Portland from here *lol*
Old May 16th 2006, 4:59 am

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
If you've already got a PDA you can get attachments for it, which might not be bad...

But for a standalone, garmin, it's a good gps, but a shite route finder...TomTom Go's are good though, but expensive if you want extra maps, but what's nice, you can plonk in extra details like where sites of interest could be, whether that's historical places or just speed cameras....and also it's easy to plonk in destinations, can plonk in post code/zip code and then house number etc...also easy to remove from motor so you can keep it on you, so it don't get pinched.

Anyway, till you get one, give www.maps.google.com a go and also http://www.maps.msn.com/(1b3400aasul...i55)/Home.aspx

mapquest tends to be a bit shite...it's still not added the augusta coastal connector, and that's been open for a year and a bit now, and there route adds an extra 45 mins to get to Portland from here *lol*
Cheers Bob, day or night I can rely on you! Everyone wonders what that TV show lost is about, well my life story I guess
Old May 16th 2006, 5:09 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bradford Lass
Cheers Bob, day or night I can rely on you! Everyone wonders what that TV show lost is about, well my life story I guess
I know the feeling, I hate driving blind, and maps in maine are utterly shite, doesn't help that lot of places dont' have road names, just numbers still.

oh, and also bitter about mapquest because that route takes you through two extra tolls...trying to find a couple bucks in coppers ain't easy
Old May 16th 2006, 6:18 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, Mapquest leaves much to be desired. Always tries to suggest crossing the Rio Grande on some decidedly dodgy bridges around here, this being a typical example.

Don't know much about SatNav in the US. Many can speak directions so you don't need to see the screen. If you have a metallic layer in your windscreen, you may need an external antenna. I've used a couple in the UK - to be honest the biggest problem I've found is a tendancy for the thing to crash and not be restartable (went through three of one particular model before I gave up). Real nice when they do work though.
Old May 16th 2006, 7:24 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

You poor thing. I hope you come right....you'll soon get the hang of the 'handle
Old May 16th 2006, 10:49 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Okay before you tell me to read a map trust me its better I don't. Today was an hour late for a client. I have been getting by using MapQuest but today it seemed to have got confused and given a wild guess. I was miles away, late, stressed and just ready to give up.

I really need to keep this job even though driving to new places every day is doing me head in... So I'm wondering about a satnav system...

BL's reasons why not..
I cant afford it
I've heard they are crap to see in bright sunlight
I dont know if one will work on my jalopy hoopty mobile
I've heard some are not so accurate

Any recommendations would be really appreciated
I have done some research and have heard good and bad on Tom Tom and Garmin.
From everything I've read, TomTom can't be beaten for their price. Looks like their cheapest model is $499, but I'm sure you can find them discounted online.

Not that I've ever used on, mind you. But Engadget swears by them, and they're European (Dutch) so at least there's a chance that they won't suck too bad! The thought of being told how where to drive at high speed by a system designed by a US or Japanese driver scares the hell out of me!
Old May 16th 2006, 11:59 am

syllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond reputesyllk has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know about any others, but I've found my NavMan to be pretty indispensable. Miss a turn, and it'll simply recalculate your route for you...after calling you a dumbass, that is.
Old May 16th 2006, 12:09 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

I've had TomTom (Running on a PDA) in my truck since the day we got here...it's been totally invaluable and I wouldnt be without it here. In 2 years its failed to get me somewhere maybe 2 times...and thats because of new road systems.

It can sometimes be difficult to see in very bright light but since all the side windows on my truck are tinted its not a problem I've really had.

One tip: Get a window suction mount for the windscreen...some of them come with ultra crap holders and they fall off every five minutes.

I find it handy even when its not directly navigating (ie actually telling me directions) and have it on just as a moving map so I can see juntions, gas stations etc all coming up well before I get to them.

I think we paid $499 from CompUSA for ours...and that included the PDA!
Old May 16th 2006, 12:11 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dbj1000
From everything I've read, TomTom can't be beaten for their price. Looks like their cheapest model is $499, but I'm sure you can find them discounted online.

Not that I've ever used on, mind you. But Engadget swears by them, and they're European (Dutch) so at least there's a chance that they won't suck too bad! The thought of being told how where to drive at high speed by a system designed by a US or Japanese driver scares the hell out of me!

Funnily enough when you install TomTom you get a choice of voices....I have a very proper English female voice called Jane giving me instructions so she says things like "Take the exit off the motorway" instead of "Highway"...very theraputic.
Old May 16th 2006, 4:14 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by dbj1000
froogle $300

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?bt...+300&lnk=qsugt
Old May 16th 2006, 5:10 pm
2007 pred.league robbery

lee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond repute

I have the Garmin C340. It's the best out their for the $ IMO. I tried most of them and had problems or issues TomTom/Magellan. The Garmin has never let me down.
Old May 16th 2006, 6:15 pm
The American Job

britontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond repute

I already had a HP PDA so I bought a Bluetooth GPS Receiver and I can't remember the software but It also has an english speaking Jane. Found it really useful for lane changes before a right or left turn and also warn's about speeding.
Old May 16th 2006, 6:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

kevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond repute

You can't really go wrong with TomTom or Garmin. Both make excellent products. Garmin is strong in the US market and TomTom is strong in the European market.

I use TomTom on my mobile phone, combined with a bluetooth GPS device. I like it because it means I only need one device (my phone) instead of carrying a phone and a PDA, or phone and PND (portable navigation device).

There are 2 major mapping companies that provide the map information for GPS device/software manufacturers. One is Navteq - and I forget the other. I believe for the US maps Garmin uses Navteq and TomTom uses the other provider. The GPS geeks claim the Navteq US maps are superior, and therefore Garmin's products will give more accurate directions.

I've only encountered one problem with TomTom, and that was in Austin Texas. I entered an address and the map claimed the street number was invalid. TomTom got me onto the correct street, then a quick phone call to the restaurant got me the directions for the final stage.

I've heard that the TomTom maps are terrible around Seattle, but I've never been there since getting the TomTom software, so can't confirm it.

Check out www.pocketgpsworld.com for lots of info on GPS systems. They also provide a very natty plug-in that gives you all the UK speed camera locations - it used to be free, but they started charging for it this year.
Old May 16th 2006, 6:37 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

How did Lewis and Clark ever do it?

Satnav for cheapskates....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.