Reload this Page >

San Francisco Questions

San Francisco Questions

Old May 30th 2014, 6:33 am
Just Joined

Sunderland exile is an unknown quantity at this point
Default San Francisco Questions

Hi there

I have the opportunity to relocate to SF from Sydney with work.

Questions - for a two bed apartment which is furnished what kind of price would we be looking at per month...I've seen quite a few close to the wharf (I'd be based in Sausalito) for the ferry at around the $3000 per month mark. Would they be generally furnished?? Which are the best rental websites/agencies. Ive contacted some of them I've seen but have recieved no response. I trust you folks more.

Thanks for your help
Ian
Old May 30th 2014, 4:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: San Francisco Questions

Originally Posted by Sunderland exile
Hi there

I have the opportunity to relocate to SF from Sydney with work.

Questions - for a two bed apartment which is furnished what kind of price would we be looking at per month...I've seen quite a few close to the wharf (I'd be based in Sausalito) for the ferry at around the $3000 per month mark. Would they be generally furnished?? Which are the best rental websites/agencies. Ive contacted some of them I've seen but have recieved no response. I trust you folks more.
craigslist is the commonest site people use, but if you want a furnished place you might need a more specialized agency.

$3k a month is probably on the low side for a two bedroom apartment, except in more marginal areas. I rented a place with 2 bed/2 bath about a mile south of there about 7 years ago. It was a little under $3k and was a relatively nice place, but rents have risen drastically since then. And I'm talking unfurnished.

I also wouldn't advise living in or next to Fisherman's Wharf. It's very touristy and crowded.

Edit: I see the Sausalito ferry goes from the Ferry Building, not the Fisherman's Wharf area so perhaps that's the area you mean.

Last edited by Giantaxe; May 30th 2014 at 4:49 pm.
Old May 30th 2014, 4:39 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
craigslist is the commonest site people use, but if you want a furnished place you might need a more specialized agency.
Padmapper.com would be handy, as it scrapes craigslist and a whole bunch of other realtor type sites and you can tick what you're looking for regarding beds, furnish, cost, sublet etc.
Old May 30th 2014, 7:27 pm
Just Joined

mmwsn is an unknown quantity at this point

I live in San Francisco in an unfurnished 2 bedroom / 1 bathroom at the top of the mission (Market St & Church St) and pay $3,600. It's a pretty nice apartment but not very big, and in a very central location.

Fisherman's wharf isn't the best area to live (too touristy, like living near Times Square in NY), but you could get some more bang for your buck with apartment sizes.

Craigslist/padmapper are how most people find places, but the housing market is extremely competitive and it's near impossible to find something without physically being in the city to look. Even then, landlords get inundated with responses and tons of people show up for open houses. Landlords generally want to see your credit score and your salary info.

Apartments are rarely furnished. Finding a furnished apartment will probably require living in some large building with corporate housing, which tend to be quite expensive. How long will you be in SF? You could try to find a sublet or AirBnB if you won't be here for a full year.
Old May 31st 2014, 5:27 am
BE Enthusiast

SalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond reputeSalopianFunk has a reputation beyond repute

What mmwsn said, plus try looking at Mission Bay and Dogpatch, with there also being a ferry that departs from AT&T park.