Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

San francisco bay budget help

San francisco bay budget help

Old Feb 11th 2013, 6:41 am
Zez
Forum Regular

Zez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really niceZez is just really nice
Default Re: San francisco bay budget help

V helpful thanks. I know budget is a how long is a bit of sting thing, but this is the best I can do to work out if offer is enough! Company will ship all our stuff there and back x
Old Feb 11th 2013, 5:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

jackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud of

So it sounds like you might have already found this.
And possibly also explains some of the first couple of posts on this thread.
Take a read through and see how much of this is relevant to you/your move since this thread has been going for a few weeks with a lot of info on expenses and Bay Area

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=784027
Old Feb 11th 2013, 8:24 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not surprised rentals are so expensive here. This is something like the 10th thread this year about moving to Mountain View.

There are no more houses here, please try elsewhere
Old Feb 11th 2013, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

McZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
I'm not surprised rentals are so expensive here. This is something like the 10th thread this year about moving to Mountain View.

There are no more houses here, please try elsewhere
Steady Pal!

Perhaps you should stop recommending the place and be so nice and accommodating on BE, it just gives us –the newbies, impression that MV is full of sweet and fantastic people – making the place even more desirable!!
Old Feb 11th 2013, 8:39 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by McZaki
Steady Pal!

Perhaps you should stop recommending the place and be so nice and accommodating on BE, it just gives us –the newbies, impression that MV is full of sweet and fantastic people – making the place even more desirable!!

I've just read about the plan for 1,500 new homes to be built, so I now retract my earlier comment. However, thinking about it, there was a 2 hour wait at the restaurant I wanted to eat at on Friday night, and we got the last two seats in the wine bar. So, I now say you can live here, but must go to SF for nights out
Old Feb 11th 2013, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

McZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond reputeMcZaki has a reputation beyond repute

I've just read about the plan for 1,500 new homes to be built, so I now retract my earlier comment. However, thinking about it, there was a 2 hour wait at the restaurant I wanted to eat at on Friday night, and we got the last two seats in the wine bar. So, I now say you can live here, but must go to SF for nights out
2 hour wait for the grub would certainly put me off but I’m willing to put up with it considering you may end-up limbless after a night out in Tenderloin!!
Old Feb 11th 2013, 9:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

... after a night out in Tenderloin
This is Northern California so it's "the Tenderloin", not "Tenderloin".

Freeways, on the other hand, don't get called "the" until you start to get close to Los Angeles where 101 mysteriously turns into "the 101" ...
Old Feb 12th 2013, 7:36 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by md95065
until you start to get close to Los Angeles where 101 mysteriously turns into "the 101" ...
Old Feb 12th 2013, 5:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

jackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud of

Freeways, on the other hand, don't get called "the" until you start to get close to Los Angeles where 101 mysteriously turns into "the 101" ...
I have clearly adapted my language to match the locals since I just realised that I say "take 280 and then 101" without the article. However in the UK, I definitely say "take the M25". Am I becoming American?
Old Feb 12th 2013, 6:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackattack
Am I becoming American?
No - just Northern Californian ...
Old Feb 12th 2013, 10:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zez
I know our medical insurance contribution would be $300 a month for the family but haven't yet checked our deductibles. Working in San Fran but probably looking living around mountain view ish as we have contacts there.

What is the average cost for car insurance then. We've been told for a basi car about $300 a month rental... Does that sound ok ish?

We have a 7 year old and a 5 year old

Thanks for your help.
After 2 years, my insurance has come down to $350/car/6 months.

Mobile phones are incredibly expensive here - data plans are outrageous compared to the EU and service is beyond sh*te. Home Internet service can also be very poor compared to the UK - 2 miles from the heart of Silicon Valley and the fastest I can get is 15Mbit/s. We have a work package that sets me back $41/month - that is very, very cheap. There are areas of California (not far from Palo Alto) where there is NO broadband service - people there rely on satellite service which can be $150+/month.

We have DirectTV - $141/month for the full package with the Sports package (to get the footy).

Food can range from rubbish and cheap (Walmart, Target), through middle-ground (F&E, Safeway) to Waitrose quality (Wholefoods, Nob Hill). You may think you can eat cheaply, but usually the quality is not very good and a lot of food lacks any kind of taste (for example, cheese !!!!). Food tends to be sold much closer-up to it's use-by date than in the UK and tends to go off quite a bit quicker. In the Bay area, people seem to buy food on the day they need it rather than stock-up. We've now given up with the cheaper shops because it was a false economy - we were throwing stuff away too much. So, the budget has gone up (a lot), but our shopping is a much happier experience at Wholefoods. Their food is lovely.

Petrol is cheap. In fact virtually free. But....... to do anything you end up driving miles and miles and miles. That eats into the budget.

Rent. Housing in the Valley is crazy. Rents are going up about 10%/year at the moment. Mortgages are impossible for UK expats - many high-tech companies are relocating other people and providing board-and-lodging or assistance with downpayments. 20% down is the minimum. UK Expat - expect about 30%. 1600 sq ft townhouse in Santa Clara is now around $3500/month (no garden, detached).

This will obviously be bumped up if you're close to a good school (public). Private school - Harker (one of the more popular in San Jose/Saratoga) is $27,000/year/pupil and has a waiting list.

Watch your medical provision. We have full medical and dental, but for a family of three, we have a $4500 maximum "out-of-pocket" (i.e. that we have to find; an excess, if you like) before any of the medical insurance kicks in. Oh - and over the counter medicines are much more regulated and more expensive here than in the UK - even a packet of paracetamol will set you back upwards of $6.

Going out. There are some great things to do with kids, but none of it is free. Forget a Saturday in the Natural History Museum in London as a free thing-to-do - the California Academy of Sciences is superb, but family membership is over $250/year. Cinema is roughly the same as in the UK; eating out can range from a lot cheaper for "family" meals to about the same as London prices for really good meals-for-two.
Old Feb 12th 2013, 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by dlake02
After 2 years, my insurance has come down to $350/car/6 months.

Mobile phones are incredibly expensive here - data plans are outrageous compared to the EU and service is beyond sh*te. Home Internet service can also be very poor compared to the UK - 2 miles from the heart of Silicon Valley and the fastest I can get is 15Mbit/s. We have a work package that sets me back $41/month - that is very, very cheap. There are areas of California (not far from Palo Alto) where there is NO broadband service - people there rely on satellite service which can be $150+/month.

We have DirectTV - $141/month for the full package with the Sports package (to get the footy).

Food can range from rubbish and cheap (Walmart, Target), through middle-ground (F&E, Safeway) to Waitrose quality (Wholefoods, Nob Hill). You may think you can eat cheaply, but usually the quality is not very good and a lot of food lacks any kind of taste (for example, cheese !!!!). Food tends to be sold much closer-up to it's use-by date than in the UK and tends to go off quite a bit quicker. In the Bay area, people seem to buy food on the day they need it rather than stock-up. We've now given up with the cheaper shops because it was a false economy - we were throwing stuff away too much. So, the budget has gone up (a lot), but our shopping is a much happier experience at Wholefoods. Their food is lovely.

Petrol is cheap. In fact virtually free. But....... to do anything you end up driving miles and miles and miles. That eats into the budget.

Rent. Housing in the Valley is crazy. Rents are going up about 10%/year at the moment. Mortgages are impossible for UK expats - many high-tech companies are relocating other people and providing board-and-lodging or assistance with downpayments. 20% down is the minimum. UK Expat - expect about 30%. 1600 sq ft townhouse in Santa Clara is now around $3500/month (no garden, detached).

This will obviously be bumped up if you're close to a good school (public). Private school - Harker (one of the more popular in San Jose/Saratoga) is $27,000/year/pupil and has a waiting list.

Watch your medical provision. We have full medical and dental, but for a family of three, we have a $4500 maximum "out-of-pocket" (i.e. that we have to find; an excess, if you like) before any of the medical insurance kicks in. Oh - and over the counter medicines are much more regulated and more expensive here than in the UK - even a packet of paracetamol will set you back upwards of $6.

Going out. There are some great things to do with kids, but none of it is free. Forget a Saturday in the Natural History Museum in London as a free thing-to-do - the California Academy of Sciences is superb, but family membership is over $250/year. Cinema is roughly the same as in the UK; eating out can range from a lot cheaper for "family" meals to about the same as London prices for really good meals-for-two.
Just a note on cheese. If you ever get into Mountain View, there is a fantastic place called the Milk Pail on California. They have around 200 cheeses from around the world, great prices and absolutely fab cheese. Try go midweek though, weekend crowds are absolutely insane.
Old Feb 12th 2013, 10:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond repute

Just a note on cheese. If you ever get into Mountain View, there is a fantastic place called the Milk Pail on California. They have around 200 cheeses from around the world, great prices and absolutely fab cheese. Try go midweek though, weekend crowds are absolutely insane.
YES !!! Found it the other week. We were in cheesy heaven....
Old Feb 14th 2013, 4:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

2 hour wait for the grub would certainly put me off but I’m willing to put up with it considering you may end-up limbless after a night out in Tenderloin!!
I tried to get a reservation at my favorite Chinese place in SF last saturday - nothing available 2 days ahead. We've given up going to my favorite Vietnamese place (PPQ) in SF on a Saturday, because even with a res you can end up waiting for an hour ... the economy seems alive and well ...

This is Northern California so it's "the Tenderloin", not "Tenderloin".

There was a whole segment on this on Saturday's SNL 'The Californians' sketch ...
Complaining about cheese here in the Bay Area is like complaining about bread - it shows you don't know where to shop! There is fantastic cheese and fantastic bread available at places like Whole Foods, or - as you note here - at specialty shops around the area. It may cost a bit more but that's life - gas is cheaper ... just because your average Safeway doesn't necessarily have a great selection doesn't mean it's not available.
Old Feb 14th 2013, 4:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Complaining about cheese here in the Bay Area is like complaining about bread - it shows you don't know where to shop! There is fantastic cheese and fantastic bread available at places like Whole Foods, or - as you note here - at specialty shops around the area. It may cost a bit more but that's life - gas is cheaper ... just because your average Safeway doesn't necessarily have a great selection doesn't mean it's not available.
A great point... I have two great cheese shops that I go to in SF. Between them, the selection is pretty amazing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.