San Diego

Old Apr 27th 2009, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

supergirly is just really nicesupergirly is just really nicesupergirly is just really nicesupergirly is just really nicesupergirly is just really nicesupergirly is just really nicesupergirly is just really nicesupergirly is just really nicesupergirly is just really nicesupergirly is just really nice
Default San Diego

Hi there,

Is anyone in San diego? Whats it like living there? Also are the water shortages really that bad?
Old Apr 27th 2009, 10:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Socal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: San Diego

Yes, I am in San Diego and I love living here. You're question about what it is like is pretty broad! I like the climate, the proximity to the sea, the mountains and the desert, the choice of outdoor activities and the various other options living in pretty good sized city bring - concerts, museums, etc.

As for the water shortage, they are currently running TV and radio ads encouraging people to think about cutting down their water usage, especially reducing sprinkler usage, etc.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 1:50 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I was born and raised in San Diego and lived there for 24 years before leaving to move to Canada.

As far as climate is pretty much impossible to beat the San Diego climate when compared to other US citys, comfortable average temperatures, mostly dry and sunny summers once the morning clouds burn off which are common May and June, and nick named May gray and June gloom, July to October is the real summer for San Diego, but winters are mild and mostly sunny with less then a total of 10 inches of rain for the entire year.

Its not nearly as big as Los Angeles and geographic boundaries and camp pendleton help keep Orange County from invading..

Water is never what I'd call a shortage where you run out, but they will in times of shortages restrict what you can use water for, like no watering grass etc. But most times its voluntary, but I have never seen water actually run out to where there is none available so no need to worry there.

Your pretty close to everything one can think of, ocean for swimming and diving, mountains to the east as well as the desert all within 90 minutes of downtown, in winter skiing is only a few hours drive north.

If you can afford to live there, I can think of no other city in the US that's comparable.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 2:00 am
Forum Regular

Alan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan17 has a reputation beyond repute

Cons
- The traffic sucks
- The fires are pretty terrifying each fall when the Santa Ana winds blow in
- Waters in short supply and getting more scarce

But theres really no other better place to live - 9 years here so far and I'm not leaving !

Pros
- Weather (someone says you get tired of sunshine all the time, they obviously never spent 20 years in Aberdeen....)
- Beaches are open and useable all year round
- Big city with a small city town center
- Lots of places to live around the city and up the coast if you can't afford the city center

Alan.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 4:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with all of the above! Housing can be a bit pricey though.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

supergirly is just really nicesupergirly is just really nicesupergirly is just really nicesupergirly is just really nicesupergirly is just really nicesupergirly is just really nicesupergirly is just really nicesupergirly is just really nicesupergirly is just really nicesupergirly is just really nice

Thanks for all your replies. We've been given the choice to move to San diego or Canada and I'm totally stumped! I love the idea of the lovely warm weather all year round though. Is crime that bad in San diego? Just been reading alot about gangs in San diego area.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 9:27 am
Forum Regular

Oh also how dog friendly is san diego?
Old Apr 28th 2009, 10:54 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

re: crime in America.

You should really read this piece by the BBC's man in the US

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programme...nt/7359513.stm
It is a paradox. Along with the guns there is a tranquillity and civility about American life of which most British people can only dream.

What surprises the British tourists is that, in areas of the US that look and feel like suburban Britain, there is simply less crime and much less violent crime.
Yes, there is crime in America, guns, whatever...but you're chances of encountering it...well, you'd be surprised.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 12:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by supergirly
Oh also how dog friendly is san diego?
Very. Expect to pay a small pet deposit on your rental.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 7:30 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by supergirly
Thanks for all your replies. We've been given the choice to move to San diego or Canada and I'm totally stumped! I love the idea of the lovely warm weather all year round though. Is crime that bad in San diego? Just been reading alot about gangs in San diego area.
San Diego County crime hits 25 year low.

The article in on crime in the entire county of San Diego which has a population of approx 3 million people, and includes all 18 city's and unincorporated areas of San Diego.

Here is crime rates for 1950 to 2008 for comparison.
PDF file.

The above is only for the City of San Diego.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 7:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Socal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond reputeSocal Local has a reputation beyond repute

Whereabouts in Canada is the option you've been given as I am sure that will influence the decision?

I love the weather in San Diego, but my sister lives in Vancouver and despite all the rain in winter, I'm pretty sure I'd be happy there too, as it is another fantastic city to live in.

Re safety - when we first moved to San Diego we lived downtown and most of our visitors from the UK couldn't believe how safe they felt wandering round the city centre of a large American city.

I think two big things that might influence your choice more than what each place is like to live in would be:

- Cost of living - I suspect San Diego is going to be a lot more expensive than wherever the alternative in Canada is that you are being offered.

- Path to permanent residency - I am not sure if the move you are being offered is temporary or permanent, but based on my experience compared to my sister's, I think it is more straightforward to become of permanent resident of Canada than it is of the US.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 8:00 pm
Austin TX

astor is an unknown quantity at this point

Much more opportunities in San Diego or generally in US if you are gonna do your own biz.Anywhere near the sea is good enough-not so far in North though-for me.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 8:27 pm
Account Closed

Vancouver and San Diego are pretty close when it comes to housing costs, but Vancouver will likely be higher in things such as car insurance, transit, taxes, most goods and services etc.

Vancouver is a nice city, but San Diego is nicer and has a cleaner downtown to boot.
Old Apr 30th 2009, 1:30 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Vancouver and San Diego are pretty close when it comes to housing costs, but Vancouver will likely be higher in things such as car insurance, transit, taxes, most goods and services etc.

Vancouver is a nice city, but San Diego is nicer and has a cleaner downtown to boot.
Where did the Vancouver bit come from?! The OP never mentioned Vancouver and if my vague recollections are correct, she was planning on moving to Ontario.
Old Apr 30th 2009, 8:54 pm
Banned

Location: Orlando,Florida,living in Buckinghamshire for next 6 weeks.
YankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
I agree with all of the above! Housing can be a bit pricey though.
I thought home prices have dropped tremendously? Enfact a buddy of mine who lives in calsbad (near SD) told me that prices have gone down over 30% in the last two years. Is he correct?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.