Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Salary deductions

Salary deductions

Old May 12th 2022, 1:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Salary deductions

I agree with the 'go for it' consensus, as it sounds like a good opportunity, as long as your wife doesn't mind not working (she could volunteer to fill her time though).

Are the company happy to wait for you to start work?
Old May 12th 2022, 1:10 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
In regards to the HSA or FSA, you are the one that designates how much is taken from your salary to be saved for uncovered medical expenses. The monies taken out are before taxes so that lowers your tax bill somewhat. The problem with some of those plans is that the monies must be used by the end of the year or they are lost. And yet there are some that will let the monies accumulate yearly.

My apologies to those that answered before I posted this morning

My daughter in NY had self insured through her husband's firm. Their annual deduction before healthcare kicked in was $6,500. They were mandated to pay $1,200 per month into the HSA to meet this deductible. That's a large chunk of money for a lower middle class white collar salary. Well, that's their story but it is not necessarily every self insured person's. Fortunately, she now works full time for a school and they have changed healthcare plans and are living easier because of better coverage and lower deductible.

Will you be offered dental? Prescription? Eye Glasses? What is the charge for that or is it included with the healthcare plan?

Not all companies offer pensions. They will offer a 401K plan that you fund with a percentage of your income. The monies are taken from you before taxes so it also will lower your tax bracket.
FSA is a use it or loose it…

HSA keeps building up…

think your figures are off… the max HSA contribution for 2022 for a family is $7300 and 12 x $1200 would be $14,400 which is double the 2021 family maximum of $7,200…. Even if they are 55+ the catch-up is only $1k extra

https://www.benefitresource.com/blog...on-limits/amp/

Last edited by tht; May 12th 2022 at 1:13 pm.
Old May 12th 2022, 1:42 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa

Indeed. It appears that the OP is looking at October 2023 as the earliest possible start date, if no application has yet been made.
Old May 12th 2022, 1:43 pm
Just Joined

billy_a is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rete
Will you be offered dental? Prescription? Eye Glasses? What is the charge for that or is it included with the healthcare plan?

Not all companies offer pensions. They will offer a 401K plan that you fund with a percentage of your income. The monies are taken from you before taxes so it also will lower your tax bracket.
So, im told the healthplan is pretty generous.

Below is a rough breakdown of the healthplan. Figures are with spouse and paid biweekly.

The low cost plan is ~$230 and high plan is ~$320

Dental in included for myself, with spouse its $30
Vision is $13, its the low option.

Now, what i dont understand is, the low plan doesn't have any annual deductibles, but the high plan does of $2k/family. What is annual deductibles?

Prescription is based on 4 tiers, costs are similar for both plans. ranging from $10 to 120 for 31 day supply.

Company contributes 9% pension regardless if I contribute or not.

What are your thoughts on this health plan?

And for HSA contributions, is it common for employers to also contribute? there is no mention of it in the benefits guide. Might be worth asking.
Old May 12th 2022, 1:47 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I agree with the 'go for it' consensus, as it sounds like a good opportunity, as long as your wife doesn't mind not working (she could volunteer to fill her time though).

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Indeed. It appears that the OP is looking at October 2023 as the earliest possible start date, if no application has yet been made.
Actually, its an institution (non profit organization, research company), so they can apply for a H1b at anytime rather than wait for the next window to open again.
Old May 12th 2022, 1:48 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by billy_a
Actually, its an institution (non profit organization, research company), so they can apply for a H1b at anytime rather than wait for the next window to open again.

Thanks for the clarification.
Old May 12th 2022, 1:49 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
... I think your figures are off… the max HSA contribution for 2022 for a family is $7300 ...../
I am wondering if the employer mandated front-loading the HSA for say 6 months to reduce the risk that when someone first switches to an HD& HSA health insurance plan, that a large medical expense during the first year could lead to situation where there are insufficient funds in the HSA to meet medical expenses that are less than the deductible?
Old May 12th 2022, 2:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

[size=33px]Now, what i dont understand is, the low plan doesn't have any annual deductibles, but the high plan does of $2k/family. What is annual deductibles?[/size]

in the UK annual deductible would be called the annual excess. It is what you pay on claims before before the insurance company starts paying.

With my annual deductible on prescriptions when I lived in the USA, I used to pay full price on my repeat prescription for the first couple of months each year before the deductible had been met, then it was $30 per 90 day prescription.

My company didn’t offer an HSA, just an FSA. As mentioned above FSA contributions have to be spent the year they are made so a bit of forward planning was required. I would sign up each year to put enough pre tax money
into my FSA to cover what I expected to spend on my prescriptions and dental visits, and eye exams etc.

HSAs are much better I think since they roll over each year.
Old May 12th 2022, 2:37 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... Below is a rough breakdown of the health plan. Figures are with spouse and paid biweekly.

Now, what i dont understand is, the low plan doesn't have any annual deductibles, but the high plan does of $2k/family. What is annual deductibles? ....
OK, so per my previous advice, above, you're going to save $90 x 26, so $2,340, every year by taking the HD plan, but have a $2k deductible, so as I described above, this makes taking the HD plan a no-brainer, as you are, based on the numbers you provided, saving more in premiums than the HD plan deductible. So unless there are other differences between coverage once you have passed the annual deductible, then IMO the HD plan is clearly the better choice.
Old May 12th 2022, 2:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, perfect.
Old May 12th 2022, 2:39 pm
tht

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

So, im told the healthplan is pretty generous.

Below is a rough breakdown of the healthplan. Figures are with spouse and paid biweekly.

Dental in included for myself, with spouse its $30
Vision is $13, its the low option.

Now, what i dont understand is, the low plan doesn't have any annual deductibles, but the high plan does of $2k/family. What is annual deductibles?

Prescription is based on 4 tiers, costs are similar for both plans. ranging from $10 to 120 for 31 day supply.

Company contributes 9% pension regardless if I contribute or not.

What are your thoughts on this health plan?

And for HSA contributions, is it common for employers to also contribute? there is no mention of it in the benefits guide. Might be worth asking.
a $2k annual deductible does not sound like HDHP, and is likely not eligible for a HSA.

$2800 for a family plan.

https://www.healthcare.gov/glossary/...e-health-plan/

Last edited by tht; May 12th 2022 at 2:41 pm.
Old May 12th 2022, 2:45 pm
tht

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I am wondering if the employer mandated front-loading the HSA for say 6 months to reduce the risk that when someone first switches to an HD& HSA health insurance plan, that a large medical expense during the first year could lead to situation where there are insufficient funds in the HSA to meet medical expenses that are less than the deductible?
could be, not sure if that is legal or not, either way it’s a cashflow thing, and would nit impact the max.
Old May 12th 2022, 2:50 pm
Just Joined

OK, so per my previous advice, above, you're going to save $90 x 26, so $2,340, every year by taking the HD plan, but have a $2k deductible, so as I described above, this makes taking the HD plan a no-brainer, as you are, based on the numbers you provided, saving more in premiums than the HD plan deductible. So unless there are other differences between coverage once you have passed the annual deductible, then IMO the HD plan is clearly the better choice.
Originally Posted by tht
a $2k annual deductible does not sound like HDHP, and is likely not eligible for a HSA.

$2800 for a family plan.

Sorry, I think I wasn't clear and my wording is bit confusing....

On the low cost plan ~$230 (not sure it can be called a HDHP as there are no deductibles?) there are no deductibles. But on the high cost plan ~$320 (called premier choice plan) there is a annual deductible of $2k/family. With the high cost plan, there are no charges after deductible for most services which are services I dont think we'll use. But for stuff we'll use like routine check ups, immunisation, virtual checks, etc are free with both plans.

@Pulaski, So I guess its an even better option to go for the HD plan which has no deductibles but ofcourse I will need to compare both plans in detail.

Last edited by billy_a; May 12th 2022 at 4:13 pm.
Old May 12th 2022, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by tht
a $2k annual deductible does not sound like HDHP, and is likely not eligible for a HSA. ....
It's about the same as the deductible on my HD plan. The deductible started out, when I first signed up 14 years ago, at around $3k, but has declined since then. I am not sure why, but it is now down close to, if not at, $2k.

But in any case, if the employer says it's an HD plan and is HSA eligible then it will have to have been approved by their tax accountant and the medical plan service provider/ insurance company..
Old May 12th 2022, 3:34 pm
tht

It's about the same as the deductible on my HD plan. The deductible started out, when I first signed up 14 years ago, at around $3k, but has declined since then. I am not sure why, but it is now down close to, if not at, $2k.

But in any case, if the employer says it's an HD plan and is HSA eligible then it will have to have been approved by their tax accountant and the medical plan service provider/ insurance company..
I thought the IRS defined that since it relates to tax deductibility, but maybe the rules are different for ACA compliant and non compliant plans…

it’s only on Healtcare.gov, not looked on IRS site:

For 2022, the IRS defines a high deductible health plan as any plan with a deductible of at least $1,400 for an individual or $2,800 for a family. An HDHP’s total yearly out-of-pocket expenses (including deductibles, copayments, and coinsurance) can’t be more than $7,050 for an individual or $14,100 for a family. (This limit doesn't apply to out-of-network services.)”

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.