Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Salad Cream on everything!!

Wikiposts

Salad Cream on everything!!

Old Sep 17th 2003, 3:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

I havent had a curry since arriving. But I did have a rather nice Chinese meal last night. Talk about huge portions!
Old Sep 17th 2003, 3:48 am
Oxymath and eremite

Stumpyguy is a jewel in the roughStumpyguy is a jewel in the roughStumpyguy is a jewel in the roughStumpyguy is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by Rockgurl
It's not that I can't find them, it's that I don't eat them. I eat very healthily actually...all fresh food, but the one thing I will miss when I emigrate is curry. Can't live without curry!
I haven't had a good curry since I have been here (and I have certainly looked...). Unfortunately the Indian restaurants I have been to here are all too effete somehow. Give me a proper Brick Lane balti anyday!

I am actually on a downward spiral with a lot of Portland restaurants in general. They all seem to think that they can make up for poor quality factory-farmed food by providing servings that would keep the average Nepalese village going for months. Personally, I would much rather have less but of better quality.
Old Sep 17th 2003, 4:55 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Rockgurl
It's not that I can't find them, it's that I don't eat them. I eat very healthily actually...all fresh food, but the one thing I will miss when I emigrate is curry. Can't live without curry!
Fish and chips, if prepared and cooked well, is not an unhealthy meal. The best fish and chips are cooked in peanut (groundnut) oil.

Fish and chips can easily be incorporated into eating healthily. It gets to be unhealthy if you're eating it every day or eating a huge portion of chips with the fish.

I was so saddened that I couldn't finish off my large fillet of haddock on my last visit to a fish and chip restaurant. I seem to have become accustomed to the American way of preparing fish and chips. i.e. a number of small battered pieces of fish.

NC Penguin
Old Sep 17th 2003, 4:59 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Stumpyguy
I haven't had a good curry since I have been here (and I have certainly looked...). Unfortunately the Indian restaurants I have been to here are all too effete somehow. Give me a proper Brick Lane balti anyday!

I am actually on a downward spiral with a lot of Portland restaurants in general. They all seem to think that they can make up for poor quality factory-farmed food by providing servings that would keep the average Nepalese village going for months. Personally, I would much rather have less but of better quality.
If there's an Indian or Sri Lankan popluation of any size in your town/city, there's bound to be Indian restaurants catering to their tastes.

That's how I found the better Indian restaurants in my area. There's a sizeable population from the Indian subcontinent and I've found a couple of good Indian restaurants and even a couple of regional Indian restaurants (Hyderabadi and Southern Indian).

Like you, I much prefer quality food over a large quantity of food. I don't care if it can feed a family of four or if you can take it home for future meals. Just get good ingredients, good seasonings...

NC Penguin
Old Sep 17th 2003, 5:07 am
Oxymath and eremite

Stumpyguy is a jewel in the roughStumpyguy is a jewel in the roughStumpyguy is a jewel in the roughStumpyguy is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by NC Penguin
... I seem to have become accustomed to the American way of preparing fish and chips. i.e. a number of small battered pieces of fish. NC Penguin
I have no idea why they do that, it makes it far too easy for the kitchen staff to overcook the fish. I had some pretty disappointing Alaskan cod for dinner last night that had the consistency of drywall.
Old Sep 17th 2003, 5:18 am
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Once a month whilst living in Hong Kong we would go to the Harry Ramsdens Restaurant for Fish and Chips with proper bread and butter, a nice cup of tea and sticky toffee pudding and custard for afters. It was well worth the £40 we paid for the 2 of us!
Old Sep 17th 2003, 5:25 am
Oxymath and eremite

Originally posted by ladyofthelake
Once a month whilst living in Hong Kong we would go to the Harry Ramsdens Restaurant for Fish and Chips with proper bread and butter, a nice cup of tea and sticky toffee pudding and custard for afters. It was well worth the £40 we paid for the 2 of us!
That sounds wonderful! The consistently best plate of fish and chips I have ever had is Wiltons of St. James in London (Jermyn St.). Not outragiously expensive for London, but very very good...
Old Sep 17th 2003, 6:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

We bought some cod from Albertsons a few weeks back and tried to fry our own. Didnt turn out that great though, The batter just wasnt the same.
Old Sep 17th 2003, 6:36 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

Originally posted by ladyofthelake
Ooh. Harry Ramsden's in Blackpool!! It was so good, hubby and I went two nights in a row for fish and chips.

Now, I really have a craving for f&c. Captain D's is a poor substitute but the best of the bunch (for a chain). Doesn't mean I'm going there though...

NC Penguin
Old Sep 17th 2003, 9:25 am
BE Enthusiast

suebo is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Yosser
Speaking of vinegar, I ate out at 'Joes crab shack' last night, I ordered fish n chips....not bad, when I asked for some malt vinegar the server came out with a brand new bottle of Heinz malt vinegar....ta very much, I slipped that into the wifes purse when I had doused the food in vinegar and now have it sat in my "PANTRY" at home.

Not as good as Sarson's though
Ha ha, I did the same with a bottle of HP in Canada, straight in the purse it went
Old Sep 18th 2003, 12:34 am
BE Enthusiast

robclews is an unknown quantity at this point

[i]
There's a sizeable population from the Indian subcontinent and I've found a couple of good Indian restaurants and even a couple of regional Indian restaurants (Hyderabadi and Southern Indian).

NC Penguin
We went to a new Curry house that opened here in Hunt Valley about 3 weeks back and it was awsome, just like back in the UK on a Friday night. The owner was doing the rounds saying hello to his new customers, and while naturally being Indian had a broad UK accent, after coversing with him it turned out he was the owner of the Star of India Curry House in the High Street Chiswick until 1997, and then emmigrated to the USA.

Rob