Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Salad Cream on everything!!

Salad Cream on everything!!

Old Sep 16th 2003, 6:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Salad Cream on everything!!

I just paid a visit to this place British Gourmet which is just 5 minutes down the road from me, and bought up some of the goodies that I had missed since arriving. It was like walking into your local Spa back home
Attached Thumbnails Salad Cream on everything!!-saladcream.jpg  
Old Sep 16th 2003, 6:48 pm
Oxymath and eremite

Stumpyguy is a jewel in the roughStumpyguy is a jewel in the roughStumpyguy is a jewel in the roughStumpyguy is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Salad Cream on everything!!

Originally posted by Pimpbot ... It was like walking into your local Spa back home
What, you mean you had to step over beggars, junkies, and asylum seekers to get through the front door, then they charged you far too much for a few essential food items (that you had to bag yourself), and when you left the shop it was raining and the Underground was closed due to leaves on the line at Ongar so you had to get a black cab home that was driven by an opinionated bigot with an HND in Network Administration who was angry at the world because he had to drive a cab for a living, and the trip home cost 5 times as much as the stuff you bought??!?! I am sorry to hear that, old chap!

Edit: Sorry, I just couldn't resist...

Last edited by Stumpyguy; Sep 16th 2003 at 6:59 pm.
Old Sep 16th 2003, 7:27 pm
Up Yir Kilt

scotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of light

Ongar! I used to live in Ongar and I often wondered why it had such a name!

You forgot to mention that having got home you have to wait 3 bloody hours for the heating to warm your home by which time you have to get up again in order to get a train early enough with an available seat.
Old Sep 16th 2003, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

SueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond repute

YUmmmmmmy!!!!!!! I love salad cream!! Brought a big 2.35kg tub of it with us when we were last over in Florida in April and have left it in the fridge in our house!!!! We also brought over HP sauce and plan to bring over Branston Pickle next time!!!
Old Sep 16th 2003, 7:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

in the words of python ...... you lucky lucky .....**#$%** ...

nearest Brit store to me is 400 miles or so away ... bit far for shopping trip :\

Jan
Old Sep 16th 2003, 9:03 pm
Forum Regular

dazman has a reputation beyond reputedazman has a reputation beyond reputedazman has a reputation beyond reputedazman has a reputation beyond reputedazman has a reputation beyond reputedazman has a reputation beyond reputedazman has a reputation beyond reputedazman has a reputation beyond reputedazman has a reputation beyond reputedazman has a reputation beyond reputedazman has a reputation beyond repute

Went to that same store last year. Picked up a bunch of stuff, including some Sarsons Vinegar, HP Sauce and Jaffa Cakes. On the advice of the guy working there, we decided to go to the 'British Open' (think that was the name) pub that is just up the road. Parked in the shade so we thought our stuff would be ok for an hour. Ah well, melted Jaffa Cakes are better than no Jaffa Cakes! Gotta love that AZ sun!
Old Sep 16th 2003, 10:04 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by dazman
Went to that same store last year. Picked up a bunch of stuff, including some Sarsons Vinegar, HP Sauce and Jaffa Cakes. On the advice of the guy working there, we decided to go to the 'British Open' (think that was the name) pub that is just up the road. Parked in the shade so we thought our stuff would be ok for an hour. Ah well, melted Jaffa Cakes are better than no Jaffa Cakes! Gotta love that AZ sun!
Speaking of vinegar, I ate out at 'Joes crab shack' last night, I ordered fish n chips....not bad, when I asked for some malt vinegar the server came out with a brand new bottle of Heinz malt vinegar....ta very much, I slipped that into the wifes purse when I had doused the food in vinegar and now have it sat in my "PANTRY" at home.

Not as good as Sarson's though
Old Sep 16th 2003, 10:44 pm
Oxymath and eremite

Stumpyguy is a jewel in the roughStumpyguy is a jewel in the roughStumpyguy is a jewel in the roughStumpyguy is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by Yosser ...Not as good as Sarson's though
Oh, bugger! Now you've done it, I shall have to take Mrs. Stumpy out for fish and chips tonight. Crispy beer battered halibut... mmmm...
Old Sep 17th 2003, 12:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

I had a fairly good Fish N Chip meal at the Red Lobster saturday night. What was weird though, was that I got more fish than I did chip. Must have been 6 or 7 bits of fish on my plate compared to a handfull of chips. I highly recommend the lobster and crab nachos though
Old Sep 17th 2003, 8:24 am
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

I know this is odd, but I live in London and I never eat fish and chips, or salad cream or any of the things you guys keep going on about. Am I strange?
Old Sep 17th 2003, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

dazman has a reputation beyond reputedazman has a reputation beyond reputedazman has a reputation beyond reputedazman has a reputation beyond reputedazman has a reputation beyond reputedazman has a reputation beyond reputedazman has a reputation beyond reputedazman has a reputation beyond reputedazman has a reputation beyond reputedazman has a reputation beyond reputedazman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Yosser
Speaking of vinegar, I ate out at 'Joes crab shack' last night, I ordered fish n chips....not bad, when I asked for some malt vinegar the server came out with a brand new bottle of Heinz malt vinegar....ta very much, I slipped that into the wifes purse when I had doused the food in vinegar and now have it sat in my "PANTRY" at home.

Not as good as Sarson's though
My girlfriend teases me mercilessly about vineger. According to her I have it on everything I eat (which is kinda true I guess *lol*). It's got to the stage now that no matter where we eat she insists on asking if they have any malt vineger. Still, I'm slowly bringing her round to my way of thinking, as she has found she is quite fond of salt & vineger crisps. I've also got her son eating HP Sauce and Rogan Josh Curry (a little anyway). Can't get either of them to even look at my beloved jar of Marmite though! *lol*
Old Sep 17th 2003, 1:03 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Rockgurl
I know this is odd, but I live in London and I never eat fish and chips, or salad cream or any of the things you guys keep going on about. Am I strange?

I was born and raised in London and I have always loved fish and chips. Same goes for salad cream. Can't eat mayonnaise but love salad cream. My Mum sent me about 20 squeezy bottles over a year ago and I have about six left.

If you haven't had good fish and chips in London, you know you're missing something. It is possible to find such places (sit down restaurants) and I have my shortlist (none are in pubs, surprise surprise).

If you're interested in visiting any of these places, please send me a PM.

NC Penguin
Old Sep 17th 2003, 1:19 pm
I'm as thick as a plank!

PrincessofWales is an unknown quantity at this point

Never been that big on Fish 'n' Chips, more a Scampi and Chips girl myself with lots of tartare sauce and a pint of woosh.

A must when returning home to village life and our equally splendid local pub.
Old Sep 17th 2003, 1:31 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Rockgurl

Yes you are very odd

Yep Pimpbot it was the same at "Joes" I had 6 hunking great pieces of fish all done in a light cripsy batter, with several lashings of malt vinegar, lightly sprinkled with salt and pepper, topped of with a geneous smear of Tom sauce.....

and I had just a handful of chips........funny that

Bloody hell....now I've made myself hungry again...and I've already ate breakfast.....(that consisted of Poridge the proper kind with a spoon full of 'Lyons golden syurp' washed down with a fresh out of the box PG tips.....luvley jubley
Old Sep 17th 2003, 3:21 pm
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by NC Penguin
I was born and raised in London and I have always loved fish and chips. Same goes for salad cream. Can't eat mayonnaise but love salad cream. My Mum sent me about 20 squeezy bottles over a year ago and I have about six left.

If you haven't had good fish and chips in London, you know you're missing something. It is possible to find such places (sit down restaurants) and I have my shortlist (none are in pubs, surprise surprise).

If you're interested in visiting any of these places, please send me a PM.

NC Penguin
It's not that I can't find them, it's that I don't eat them. I eat very healthily actually...all fresh food, but the one thing I will miss when I emigrate is curry. Can't live without curry!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.