Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

safety tips wanted

safety tips wanted

Old Jan 20th 2004, 1:03 am
Forum Regular

Bald Badger is an unknown quantity at this point
Default safety tips wanted

I don’t wish to appear naive but as someone coming from a country where the cops don’t wear guns what would be some personal safety tips. I will be working out of Long Beach for 6 months, on my last brief visit to LA I was often bothered by beggers demanding money. Should you give in to this? They are often in groups of 2 or 3. Will I be safe if I don’t take a wallet? I guess if you get menaced with a weapon of some kind you just give them what over you have, or do I make a run for it. Thanks in advance :scared:
Old Jan 20th 2004, 2:23 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: safety tips wanted

Originally posted by Bald Badger
I don’t wish to appear naive but as someone coming from a country where the cops don’t wear guns what would be some personal safety tips. ....
Gee, I really don't think that most parts of the US have a safety problem; .... so my advice would be stay out of the known problem areas, and stick to the busy places, especially at night, at least until you get to know the area where you live. Oh, and keep your car doors locked at all times when driving!
Old Jan 20th 2004, 2:27 am
Forum Regular

pdohr is an unknown quantity at this point

I live in Rio, Brazil and although I live in one of the city´s best residential areas, am an ordinary, absolutely clean (no drugs, no smoke, no drink) guy, I´ve lost count of the times I´ve been mugged here, had a gun at my head, a knife held at my stomach, been kidnapped, shot at, etc..

Here´s how I managed to survive - if you are far enough away - run! If you can´t, just play it absolutely cool - no fast moves, talk slowly and calmly and only as much as necessary (the muggers can be high on drugs), give the guys whatever they want.. Whenever I go out, I put the large cash in my socks, and keep some change in my pockets, if the muggers don´t find any cash on you, they could get annoyed and shoot you (at least here)..

Muggers hardly ever act alone.. they almost always have a partner on the street corner..

No trouble lately, I just avoid going out whenever I can..

Take care!
Old Jan 20th 2004, 1:49 pm
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Staying Safe

I spent 26 years in the Merchant Navy and visited the less solubrious parts over 85 countries. I also lived in Manhattan NY and Manchester UK. I was never mugged, robbed or otherwise violated.

In only one place did I ever feel at risk which was in Lagos, Nigeria. It's also the only place where I saw police openly trying to scam locals.

The key is to be aware of your surroundings, avoid stupid places like dark alleys at night. Watch who is on the street around you.

If you must wander around odd places after dark, don't do it alone. Don't wear expensive jewellery and watches. Don't dress rich and successful.

If you cross the street in advance of a group of people and they then cross to be in front of you again, turn around and walk the other way.

If you live in an area where civilians feel the need to protect themselves by carrying guns, move to a different area.
Old Jan 20th 2004, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

Bald Badger is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Staying Safe

Originally posted by TRPardoe
I spent 26 years in the Merchant Navy and visited the less solubrious parts over 85 countries. I also lived in Manhattan NY and Manchester UK. I was never mugged, robbed or otherwise violated.

snip
Thanks for all the advice guys, it's just a case of the last minute jitters. I am going on my own for a few months and my darling wife who is staying behind is spooking me with her fears, funny how you can transfer fear, must be hard for her though left behind and imagining the worst