Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Running on the road

Running on the road

Old Jun 28th 2006, 9:23 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Running on the road

Originally Posted by snowbunny
you nuts? all that does is jar your "suspension" -- ie your knees mainly.
Then get an elliptical running machine?
Old Jun 28th 2006, 10:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by TimFountain
I nearly ran someone over this morning, swerving at the last minute to avoid them (man and woman running side by side) as I rounded a bend in the development where I live.

I don't get it, there is a perfectly good sidewalk/kerb right next to them, wide and smooth, but wherever I see people running, they are on the road, with cars swerving and slowing to avoid them.

Not being a runner, I have no idea what is wrong with the sidewalks.... or is it just another unfathomable thing that we just need to shrug our shoulders, scratch our heads and say whatever?

- Tim
Very simple explanation from a runner. In canada the sidewalks are made from cement and often have cracks the size of the grand canyon. This is very hard on the knees, legs and shins. The roads are made from asphalt which is alot easier on your body.

I run very early in the morning on the road and make sure that I have reflective gear on from top to bottom so that when I run down by the ocean where there are very few lights, cars can see me.
Old Jun 29th 2006, 12:51 am
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Oi Tim do you have a red pickup licence 1 4 ZULU? There were UK and England stickers on said car.

Gave me an excuse to explain Zulu time to Toon.

I think asphalt "gives" more than concrete, and the road tends to go in a straighter line than the sidewalks in my own suburban neighbourhood, where curves are "in."
Not me. Look for a gold colored Jaguar with license plate "SKYMAD" and a Union Jack on the back.
Attached Thumbnails Running on the road-cimg1244-small-.jpg  
Old Jun 29th 2006, 12:57 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Not me. Look for a gold colored Jaguar with license plate "SKYMAD" and a Union Jack on the back.
How splash!

I drive a white Honda minivan, but so do loads of other people.
Old Jun 29th 2006, 3:12 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

very tasty....and I see no one's knicked the little hood beasty....but saying that, those buggers aren't easy to yank off...apparently....only a roller is harder....apparently....