Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Transferring cash £ - > $

Transferring cash £ - > $

Old Jun 29th 2006, 4:13 pm
Paul

smeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud of
Default Transferring cash £ - > $

I'm currently looking into buying a house, and plan to use some inherritance money that is sitting my my Halifax account to help with the downpayments.

What is the most recommended way to transfer larger sums of money over here? I am thinking of bringing over around $10,000

Some of it will likely be transferred back afterwards too (refundable deposits).

Is it something I need to talk to Halifax about, or do I have other options?
Old Jun 29th 2006, 4:22 pm
Forum Regular

Andy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond reputeAndy_LongIsland has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Transferring cash £ - > $

Not sure what type of account you have there but most people use www.xe.com afaik
Old Jun 29th 2006, 4:22 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smeg
I'm currently looking into buying a house, and plan to use some inherritance money that is sitting my my Halifax account to help with the downpayments.

What is the most recommended way to transfer larger sums of money over here? I am thinking of bringing over around $10,000

Some of it will likely be transferred back afterwards too (refundable deposits).

Is it something I need to talk to Halifax about, or do I have other options?

XE Trade for transferring money. Do a search here - lots of people have used them.

Not sure why you would want to transfer money one way and then back again - why not just leave it in your UK account? You'll get better interest for a start, and don't lose money in transaction fees.
Old Jun 29th 2006, 4:25 pm
Paul

smeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud ofsmeg has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Elvira
XE Trade for transferring money. Do a search here - lots of people have used them.

Not sure why you would want to transfer money one way and then back again - why not just leave it in your UK account? You'll get better interest for a start, and don't lose money in transaction fees.
We're building a new house and the builders want a deposit, refundable on closure.

We don't have that kind of money in dollars, but do in pounds, so the intention is to transfer it, pay them, get it back, transfer it back to pounds (it's destined for my parents, ultimately). I'll take the hit on transaction fees if I need to.

Thanks for the xe.com recommendation! I did use the search function, but didn't catch that one.
Old Jun 29th 2006, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

Beer:30 is a jewel in the roughBeer:30 is a jewel in the roughBeer:30 is a jewel in the roughBeer:30 is a jewel in the roughBeer:30 is a jewel in the rough

If it is less than $10K just do it in cash. $10K is the max you can bring with out paperwork.
I have done it like that before but the only problem was finding enough dollars, that took a few days.
Old Jun 29th 2006, 4:42 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beer:30
If it is less than $10K just do it in cash. $10K is the max you can bring with out paperwork.
I have done it like that before but the only problem was finding enough dollars, that took a few days.

You get a better exchange rate with XE Trade.

Not to mention the risk of losing the cash or being robbed! :scared:

And I bet if Customs were to find $9999 in someone's bag, they'd take a very close look at everything else...