Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Rugby Playing Brits in Alabama

Rugby Playing Brits in Alabama

Old May 14th 2013, 9:43 pm
Just Joined

shanebrowbn46 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rugby Playing Brits in Alabama

Hey guys Im now living in Huntsville and looking for any Brits that play rugby to come along to play/coach or just meet new friends.

Also if there any fellow Brits in the area be great to meet up.
Old May 15th 2013, 12:49 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rugby Playing Brits in Alabama

Tried any local colleges?

Can't say out your way, but it's pretty popular at the college level down my way, so be a decent place to start.

Anyway, welcome to BE!
Old May 15th 2013, 1:11 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

I think there is a team locator on the USA Rugby site.

http://www.usarugby.org/club

There is a Division 3 side in Huntsville. You could contact them and get started from there.

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/huntsvillerugbyclub/
Old May 15th 2013, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

Markoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant future

I know there is a reasonably vibrant Rugby scene in Atlanta, but I'm afraid I cant comment on the Huntsville area.

I live in the Boston area and coach in the local high school - I find it really satisfying that the interest in Rugby is growing as rapidly as it is at the High School and then College level - in many schools in Boston, its now seen as the default Spring season sport for the Footballers (American Football)

As far as playing, dont expect the same level of rugby as you enjoyed in the UK. I played for a 3rd division side here last year and I had to stop after 5 or 6 games as it was just an awful level of rugby (and Im 39 years old!) I'm hoping to play a little more in the Autumn but its just not the same.

If you want to watch games, get Fox Soccer to go on the Ipad and laptop - all the Aviva Premiership games (pretyt much) for $10 a month!
Old May 15th 2013, 9:34 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Markoncarp
As far as playing, dont expect the same level of rugby as you enjoyed in the UK. I played for a 3rd division side here last year and I had to stop after 5 or 6 games as it was just an awful level of rugby (and Im 39 years old!) I'm hoping to play a little more in the Autumn but its just not the same.
The women's game is much better here and pretty big...in the Boston area at least.

Doesn't help if one wants to play, but tuck it away and you'd get hit harder than in the mens game at least
Old May 16th 2013, 3:26 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013...ck%3APosition4

Rugby Union, possibly coming to the US...well a friendly in Boston v London Irish Not entirely appropriate to the OP, but hope at least that it'll be a bit more serious over here
Old May 16th 2013, 4:45 pm
Forum Regular

Markoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant futureMarkoncarp has a brilliant future

I am going to that!!!
Old May 17th 2013, 12:48 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Markoncarp
I am going to that!!!
I've got it on the calendar, but depends on how much it'll cost, that and if they do the cheeky parking bait or not.