Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Rude Restaurant Manners

Rude Restaurant Manners

Old Oct 9th 2005, 10:48 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rude Restaurant Manners

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Saw a program that hubs downloaded from UKNova "Ten Worst/Best Places to Live In The UK" Harrogate was the third best place to live....
must 'ave been really, really drunk
Speaking of top places to live, apparantly Old Town in Maine made the 100 top places to live in the US....ain't far from here...and I don't have a clue how it managed that

Well who knows, I don't really know Harrogate and only spent a few weeks in the centre of York...lovely city, but I couldn't handle it after the touristy thing wore off...loved the market though....
Old Oct 9th 2005, 10:48 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
And they have a really, really shite footy team.
well they ain't the only place
Old Oct 9th 2005, 10:56 pm
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bob
well they ain't the only place
Thats very true. Im saying nowt.
Old Oct 9th 2005, 11:12 pm
Just me!

antjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sarah
I'm currently waitressing for my sister-in-law, there are two kinds of people I'm waiting on - nice and polite and grateful and knobheads. Yet everyone I'm waiting on is Jewish, just because some are, quite honestly, the most demanding, rude, slovenly, arrogant, people I've ever come across, some of whom literally have their heads an inch from their plates whilst they trough like animals on food. Some others are the most wonderful, lovely, well-mannered people I've ever had the pleasure to meet. If I was to become Anti-Semetic as a result it would be a dis-service to those people and I would be the one losing out. Some tip me $1 for two weeks of service and some tip $40.
Bottom line is, there idiots everywhere.

As for kids, adults sometimes act and talk about the younger generation like they had nothing to do with them. Most of you have kids, its your responsibilty that they grow up treating people in a way that would make you proud.

P.S - always be nice to your waitress/waiter or I promise you, we remember your faces and yes (although I've never done it) we do spit in your food if you're a asshole.
i believe tipping is hugely responsible for customers thinking they can treat waiters/waitresses like crap, as they have some kind of hold over them - money!!!!

Ant
Old Oct 10th 2005, 2:05 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by antjen
i believe tipping is hugely responsible for customers thinking they can treat waiters/waitresses like crap, as they have some kind of hold over them - money!!!!

Ant
Never really thought of it that way, you could be right...some people are such bast*rds.
Old Oct 10th 2005, 2:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Rompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partystar
Never really thought of it that way, you could be right...some people are such bast*rds.
A friend's wife works as a waitress. He told me it's not uncommon for a group to put a pile of dollars in the middle of the table. Every time the waitress does something they don't like, a dollar is removed. What's left at the end of the meal is the tip.
Old Oct 10th 2005, 2:25 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rompers
A friend's wife works as a waitress. He told me it's not uncommon for a group to put a pile of dollars in the middle of the table. Every time the waitress does something they don't like, a dollar is removed. What's left at the end of the meal is the tip.
That's superb!
Old Oct 10th 2005, 3:08 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Rompers
what if you've only got loose change?
Old Oct 10th 2005, 3:15 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

As usual....
Oh god, not you again!!
Old Oct 10th 2005, 3:18 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by izibear
Amerlisa, I am absolutely shocked and appalled at the lack of manners of kids here, and I live in the south where they're supposed to have them, never mind tradespeople who make appointments with you and then don't even bother to come out, wasting our time, and don't bother to call to apologize (a pet peeve of most Floridians, don't know if the rest of the country is like that).

When was the last time you were in the U.K., and a kid walked in your door, right past you, without even acknowledging you were there, headed for your refrigerator, helped himself to a drink and toddled off to your son's room to see if he was up? It doesn't happen with one kid. It happens with most of the neighborhood kids. And from experience, the wealthier the neighborhood, the worst the manners are.

Yes, many of my friends' kids are not like that. But, and this is just my 9 years' personal experience speaking, that is how the majority act in my, and others' homes down here.

Seems I may not be in the minority after all!!
Old Oct 10th 2005, 3:19 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by rushman
Seems I may not be in the minority after all!!
What you rush into peoples house and take their drinks too?!
Old Oct 10th 2005, 3:21 am
Account Closed

in fact I can't remember being inundated with "thank yous, pleases or pardon mes" at all. Perhaps I was in the wrong part of the country?
No, they probably thought you were a pratt!!
Old Oct 10th 2005, 3:22 am
Account Closed

What you rush into peoples house and take their drinks too?!
Certainly NOT!!!

I walk slowly
Old Oct 10th 2005, 3:28 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by rushman
No, they probably thought you were a pratt!!
Or just another arrogant American in their "quaint little town"
Old Oct 10th 2005, 3:34 am
Account Closed

Or just another arrogant American in their "quaint little town"
Dont say anything, she's been to the universally renown mecca of sophistication called "Harrogate"!! Who are we to disagree the the US version of Hyacinth Buckett.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.