Wikiposts

Roth IRA

Old Jun 8th 2011, 12:10 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Roth IRA

What is your tax residency status, citizenship and where will you be retiring? Those are vital aspects to your planning along with your current and projected retirement tax rates.

If you are US resident you will have to comply with PFIC, FBAR and eventually FATCA. I assume you are aware of these. The sort of investments you mention won't come under PFIC, but it's best to be careful. You sound as if you are chasing return which is often a fools game. I've found that it's best to keep investing simple and if this is for retirement your first thought about index funds was probably you best.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 4:30 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
What is your tax residency status, citizenship and where will you be retiring? Those are vital aspects to your planning along with your current and projected retirement tax rates.

If you are US resident you will have to comply with PFIC, FBAR and eventually FATCA. I assume you are aware of these. The sort of investments you mention won't come under PFIC, but it's best to be careful. You sound as if you are chasing return which is often a fools game. I've found that it's best to keep investing simple and if this is for retirement your first thought about index funds was probably you best.
Exactly my problem. it's 30 years away - who knows what the situation will be then. I like it here although I don';t know what is to happen next 6 months let alone 30 years.

Honestly though, looking at the healthcare situation here and Social Security etc, I probably at some stage would go back to Australia....but as I said that's just what I feel now.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 5:29 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by E3only
Exactly my problem. it's 30 years away - who knows what the situation will be then. I like it here although I don';t know what is to happen next 6 months let alone 30 years.

Honestly though, looking at the healthcare situation here and Social Security etc, I probably at some stage would go back to Australia....but as I said that's just what I feel now.
So what is your status, US/AUS dual citizen, GC holder? It sounds as if you should look at the US/AUS tax treaty to see how it covers retirement accounts.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 5:32 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
So what is your status, US/AUS dual citizen, GC holder? It sounds as if you should look at the US/AUS tax treaty to see how it covers retirement accounts.
Australian Citizen. For tax purposes a resident here but I am on E-3 visa. No GC.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 5:50 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by E3only
Australian Citizen. For tax purposes a resident here but I am on E-3 visa. No GC.
If your plans are uncertain it's difficult to plan for retirement, but as an E-3 holder you have to comply with US tax law so while you're here I'd be careful of holding foreign accounts and investments, and if you do hold them understand all the tax and other reporting requirements.