Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

What British food favourites can't you get in New York?

What British food favourites can't you get in New York?

Old Jun 9th 2011, 2:55 pm
Just Joined

Ubertotty is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What British food favourites can't you get in New York?

Hello! I'm not an ex pat but some of my family are currently living in New York. They're coming back for a holiday in the UK soon (to meet my new baby )and I wanted to put together a little hamper for their room, as a nice gesture you know?

I have heard that chocolate is a good one so I can get a couple of bars of Cadburys finest, but what else?

Help appreciated.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 3:02 pm
Forum Regular

njmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nice
Default Re: What British food favourites can't you get in New York?

Originally Posted by Ubertotty
Hello! I'm not an ex pat but some of my family are currently living in New York. They're coming back for a holiday in the UK soon (to meet my new baby )and I wanted to put together a little hamper for their room, as a nice gesture you know?

I have heard that chocolate is a good one so I can get a couple of bars of Cadburys finest, but what else?

Help appreciated.
I'll be honest, there are a few stores in NYC that are dedicated to Brits, and I found that quite a few other stores have 'Irish' sections that stock predominantly British things in there.

Biscuits & chocolates are a thing you cannot go wrong with, I doubt there is a bag of revels in all of the United States at the moment!!!
Old Jun 9th 2011, 3:13 pm
Forum Regular

Egon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud of

As said above, most things can be found in New York but can be quite expensive so I'm sure anything you get for them will be most welcome.

For example, Marmite costs me about $8 for a pretty small jar so I tend not to buy it, but I always welcome it when my family gets me some. Of course that does hinge on them liking it in the first place!

Jaffa Cakes, Branston pickle, chocolate digestives are things I get sent. And also magazines - you have to wait quite a while for them to arrive here and they're generally a month or two out of date.

Or even something like good sea salt. There's a deli in NYC that charges $10 for a packet of sea salt from Essex that sells for a few pounds in England.

[Edited to add PRAWN COCKTAIL CRISPS!!!]
Old Jun 9th 2011, 3:25 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jun 9th 2011, 3:39 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on where in New York State they live. If they are near to the NYC area or an Irish enclave, there is not much that they can't get from chocolate, crisps, tea, pot noodles, sausages or prepared pies.

Originally Posted by Ubertotty

Help appreciated.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 4:11 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Seen something similar at the Irish butchers. Will check it out again when I stop in tomorrow.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 4:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Bovril is the Brit food I miss the most, but it's not legal to import it to the US because of the BSE scare, alas.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 7:00 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Crisps and teabags