rootless!

Old May 17th 2006, 7:46 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: rootless!

Originally Posted by TruBrit
good for you, i really am and nope i'm not unhappy infact class myself as very, very lucky, however i don't see the good things the usa has to offer, nothing for me that i can't get at home in blighty
TruBrit - I've not been to Houston but have been elsewhere in Texas and have worked in many different parts of the US. My experience is that 80-90% of the US is certainly not for me and has very little to offer, however San Francisco (and Bay Area), Seattle, Portland and perhaps Denver area are great places to live with relatively normal people and sidewalks that are not just parking areas for SUVs. Any chance you could move and try somewhere else?
Old May 17th 2006, 7:48 am
Forum Regular

DarrenP is a glorious beacon of lightDarrenP is a glorious beacon of lightDarrenP is a glorious beacon of lightDarrenP is a glorious beacon of lightDarrenP is a glorious beacon of lightDarrenP is a glorious beacon of lightDarrenP is a glorious beacon of lightDarrenP is a glorious beacon of lightDarrenP is a glorious beacon of lightDarrenP is a glorious beacon of lightDarrenP is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
So how will you feel if you do get the job? Won't you still be having the same concerns as you have now? I was going to wish you luck, but I'm not so sure if i should.
Not sure I understand you here. The same concerns as I have now? In what way? You were going to wish me luck but you're not now?

I have figured out that my longterm goal is to be in Britain yes, for a multitude of complex reasons, some of which I've listed above, but I'm just unsure of the timeframe and logistics as yet.

Another life goal I have is to work in film computer graphics. So basically, I've decided to have the move decision made for me for now. I've had several interviews lately. Some in person, some phone. 2 companies have pretty much said they'd hire me, and I'm waiting on news. One is in San Francisco, and the other London. Which ever one offers me the job, I'm going to go for it. If both do, that will be hard. If it's London, I'd be absolutely over the moon to pack up and go tomorrow, and I know that my family and old friends are waiting with bated breath too. However, If it's San Francisco, then I'm content to go with that too. Because I've been trying to leave videogames and make it into film for a bloody long time and it's hard to break in. So what i'm saying is, that I'm prepared to stick it out in SF for a year or so for the chance of working in movie fx. That on my resume will also give me more UK job options further down the line.

So that's the current plan!

Simon: have you got a job lined up back home or are you just going to show up? I've thought about the details of moving back, and I sort of feel like it'd be easier to have a job to go back to. Otherwise I'm getting off the plane with no income and nowhere to live since I don't have property over there.
Old May 17th 2006, 7:54 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
TruBrit - I've not been to Houston but have been elsewhere in Texas and have worked in many different parts of the US. My experience is that 80-90% of the US is certainly not for me and has very little to offer, however San Francisco (and Bay Area), Seattle, Portland and perhaps Denver area are great places to live with relatively normal people and sidewalks that are not just parking areas for SUVs. Any chance you could move and try somewhere else?
hiya and tks for suggestion. yep i've been to other states...my girlfriend lives in denver and it's so pretty plus the climate is brill compared to here but sadly nope no move in the offing for us unless the ceo wants to upsticks and move the head office
Old May 17th 2006, 10:37 am
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DarrenP
Not sure I understand you here. The same concerns as I have now? In what way? You were going to wish me luck but you're not now?

I have figured out that my longterm goal is to be in Britain yes, for a multitude of complex reasons, some of which I've listed above, but I'm just unsure of the timeframe and logistics as yet.

Another life goal I have is to work in film computer graphics. So basically, I've decided to have the move decision made for me for now. I've had several interviews lately. Some in person, some phone. 2 companies have pretty much said they'd hire me, and I'm waiting on news. One is in San Francisco, and the other London. Which ever one offers me the job, I'm going to go for it. If both do, that will be hard. If it's London, I'd be absolutely over the moon to pack up and go tomorrow, and I know that my family and old friends are waiting with bated breath too. However, If it's San Francisco, then I'm content to go with that too. Because I've been trying to leave videogames and make it into film for a bloody long time and it's hard to break in. So what i'm saying is, that I'm prepared to stick it out in SF for a year or so for the chance of working in movie fx. That on my resume will also give me more UK job options further down the line.

Simon: have you got a job lined up back home or are you just going to show up? I've thought about the details of moving back, and I sort of feel like it'd be easier to have a job to go back to. Otherwise I'm getting off the plane with no income and nowhere to live since I don't have property over there.
Sorry for the confusion. I thought you'd made your mind up to go back to Blighty due to many reasons like the long hours working, lack of vacation time, lack of decent friendships etc. Plus your pros and cons list always tipped towards the UK, you said. So in my mind, I thought, how would all that change with the new job? Didn't realise it was in a totally new direction in movies, must've missed that somehow. If it's just putting off the inevitable for just a while, then yeah, I get that.

All the best for the job....wishing you luck!!
Old May 17th 2006, 11:14 am
Forum Regular

DarrenP is a glorious beacon of lightDarrenP is a glorious beacon of lightDarrenP is a glorious beacon of lightDarrenP is a glorious beacon of lightDarrenP is a glorious beacon of lightDarrenP is a glorious beacon of lightDarrenP is a glorious beacon of lightDarrenP is a glorious beacon of lightDarrenP is a glorious beacon of lightDarrenP is a glorious beacon of lightDarrenP is a glorious beacon of light

doh, I getcha sorry ladyofthelake. I thought you were saying how would a move back to the UK change any of my concerns
So yes, I've definitely decided that moving back to Blighty is what I want, and it makes me happy as Larry just thinking about it. But I haven't been able to find the job that I want over there, and I don't like the idea of just getting off a plane at Heathrow and going 'er, now what?'.

So all Im really saying is that If I don't get the London job, Im OK with going for the SF one and sticking things out for 1 more year, since that will help my resume/CV anyway. Sigh, it's all so complicated
Old May 17th 2006, 12:11 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Wonder what the fates will decide for you DarrenP! Good luck.
Old May 17th 2006, 12:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

simongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond repute

I hope to go to school and work part time in the UK. I have a Master's in Psychology and want to get a Phd. I have decided to do it in the UK because that's where I want to settle. I applied last year to some programs, but didn't get in. I have to do a few more courses here before they will accept me. I am starting this summer and will be finished next summer. I will spend this year packing up my life and working out what to do with my house. I tend to think that now I have made my decision the pieces will fall into place. I have thought about moving to other places in the US too, but it just seems like I am delaying the inevitable. I hope to meet someone and settle down when I get back. Any news on your job?
Old May 17th 2006, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by simongb
I hope to go to school and work part time in the UK. I have a Master's in Psychology and want to get a Phd. I have decided to do it in the UK because that's where I want to settle. I applied last year to some programs, but didn't get in. I have to do a few more courses here before they will accept me. I am starting this summer and will be finished next summer. I will spend this year packing up my life and working out what to do with my house. I tend to think that now I have made my decision the pieces will fall into place. I have thought about moving to other places in the US too, but it just seems like I am delaying the inevitable. I hope to meet someone and settle down when I get back. Any news on your job?
That's great that you have a plan! Good luck with applications. Oh and good luck with finding that 'someone'! when you get back It aint easy, but internet dating is entirely socially acceptable these days, so worth a shot

Nope, I have been looking at my cel phone all day!
Old Jun 16th 2006, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

Well, I don't like to dig up an oldish thread but I wanted to update folks on my situation 'cos I desperately need some sound advice on so many things! Things have gotten extremely complicated for me, but for the good I suppose. I guess I can't complain.

So even though I wanted to get into film computer graphics, the UK job fell through, and I ended up recently accepting a job at a startup videogame company here in silicon valley. I was really really reluctant about it, since the thought of spending another 3 years here fills me with horror, but It was sold to me on the basis that it would make me filthy rich. (It being a startup and them offering a lot of shares). My new 0-1 visa with the new company is being prepared now and is filing on tuesday of next week.

HOWEVER, absolutely unexpectedly I've been approached by Peter Jacksons company, Weta digital in Wellington, New Zealand. Had a phone interview today and things went really well. They'd want me out there in about 6 weeks. (which is kinda nice since that might allow me a quick UK visit first).
These guys win Oscars for chrissakes. This is my dream come true. With Weta on my CV/resume I could go anywhere. It doesn't get any better than Weta in my line of work. I figure I would only need to be there a year, but who knows what might happen.

So my decision comes down to kudos versus cash in some ways! I didnt want to go the startup co. I only went in on the hope that it would make me loaded someday, but this new option, it's a whole new adventure, in a beautiful country. Somethings are more important than $. But there are so many things racing around in my head that I have no clue where to find answers on.

1) If I decide to go with the NZ job, If I give a weeks notice to my current US employer, how long am I legally allowed to stay in the US? I need to sell a car, clear out an apartment, TONS of stuff. But If not working, my O-1 is invalid, so is there some kind of grace period? I have no clue with this stuff.

2) I have a LOT of money in a US bank account. How the hell do I get that out of the country, and what are the ramifications (tax or otherwise) for doing so?

3) What's Wellington like?!

4) How do I know that what W offer me is a competitive wage in NZ? I mean obviously I could convert to USD or whatever, but that doesn't give me an understanding in real terms of what it's worth versus the cost of living in NZ. What is considered a good wage in an NZ city?

5) I've signed a contract with the startup company. It's an at will contract, which means either of us can walk away at any time, but I'd have to pay them back all of the legal fees for the immigration lawyers. That's gonna be like several grand. Would it be the done thing to ask the new company to maybe help me cover some of that?!

6) How long do things like US ss numbers stay active for If you leave the country?

In short, I've got a gazillion questions and uncertainties. I've been in the US for six years. I don't really know how to leave the country with all loose ends tied up If you know what I mean. Can I keep a bank account etc or no?! It's all bloody scary, but quite exciting too. :scared:

any thoughts much appreciated! I'm totally stressing about everything, and need to make some absolute solid decisions by mid week.
Old Jun 16th 2006, 10:21 am
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

Why dont you post on the NZ site for feedback on salary vs cost of living, and any questions you have about Wellington. I've stayed in Wellington for a week or so when I was travelling 6 years ago. I remember NZ being alot like Scotland in geography, very lush and spacuss. A little antiquated in places. Oh and I remember it was very cold and windy, but I was there in April time. Wellington was nice, I preferred it over Auckland. However your job opportunity sounds AMAZING...I would go for it anyway as it sounds like a real life changing job. Think of the opportunities. Limitless!
Old Jun 16th 2006, 10:39 am
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light

OMG you have an offer with WETA !!!!!
That is so cool, and I know people who would give their last penny for such an experience. It sounds like such an awesome opportunity.

A good wage in Wtgn would be say over 60k in NZ dollars if you are only supporting yourself, you would need more if you have family - I haven't read the whole thread sorry.

I love wellington, I haven't been to San Fransisco, but my friends that have say it could be similar but on a smaller scale - not sure how true that it though. Easy transport links, interesting hills and valleys, gorgeous harbour, lovely views, cafe society, arts and theatre, centre of government. Ferry across to the south island. native bush close by with mountain bike tracks, walking, kayaking, yachting. If I wasn't very happy in Christchurch, Wgtn would be my next choice.

Post on the NZ forum for more help for that side of things.

But wow, working for Weta - how cool =)

Congrats!

Well, I don't like to dig up an oldish thread but I wanted to update folks on my situation 'cos I desperately need some sound advice on so many things! Things have gotten extremely complicated for me, but for the good I suppose. I guess I can't complain.

So even though I wanted to get into film computer graphics, the UK job fell through, and I ended up recently accepting a job at a startup videogame company here in silicon valley. I was really really reluctant about it, since the thought of spending another 3 years here fills me with horror, but It was sold to me on the basis that it would make me filthy rich. (It being a startup and them offering a lot of shares). My new 0-1 visa with the new company is being prepared now and is filing on tuesday of next week.

HOWEVER, absolutely unexpectedly I've been approached by Peter Jacksons company, Weta digital in Wellington, New Zealand. Had a phone interview today and things went really well. They'd want me out there in about 6 weeks. (which is kinda nice since that might allow me a quick UK visit first).
These guys win Oscars for chrissakes. This is my dream come true. With Weta on my CV/resume I could go anywhere. It doesn't get any better than Weta in my line of work. I figure I would only need to be there a year, but who knows what might happen.

So my decision comes down to kudos versus cash in some ways! I didnt want to go the startup co. I only went in on the hope that it would make me loaded someday, but this new option, it's a whole new adventure, in a beautiful country. Somethings are more important than $. But there are so many things racing around in my head that I have no clue where to find answers on.

1) If I decide to go with the NZ job, If I give a weeks notice to my current US employer, how long am I legally allowed to stay in the US? I need to sell a car, clear out an apartment, TONS of stuff. But If not working, my O-1 is invalid, so is there some kind of grace period? I have no clue with this stuff.

2) I have a LOT of money in a US bank account. How the hell do I get that out of the country, and what are the ramifications (tax or otherwise) for doing so?

4) How do I know that what W offer me is a competitive wage in NZ? I mean obviously I could convert to USD or whatever, but that doesn't give me an understanding in real terms of what it's worth versus the cost of living in NZ. What is considered a good wage in an NZ city?

5) I've signed a contract with the startup company. It's an at will contract, which means either of us can walk away at any time, but I'd have to pay them back all of the legal fees for the immigration lawyers. That's gonna be like several grand. Would it be the done thing to ask the new company to maybe help me cover some of that?!

6) How long do things like US ss numbers stay active for If you leave the country?

In short, I've got a gazillion questions and uncertainties. I've been in the US for six years. I don't really know how to leave the country with all loose ends tied up If you know what I mean. Can I keep a bank account etc or no?! It's all bloody scary, but quite exciting too. :scared:

any thoughts much appreciated! I'm totally stressing about everything, and need to make some absolute solid decisions by mid week.
Old Jun 16th 2006, 11:43 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Unfortunately I cannot answer any of your questions but congratulations on a wonderful choice of opportunities!

Last edited by Sallyanne; Jun 16th 2006 at 12:59 pm.
Old Jun 16th 2006, 12:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I don't like to dig up an oldish thread but
Darren - that's fantastic news! I think you already know what you really want to do! You only live once; follow your instincts!

Make your decision based on what you really want, without letting all the 'what ifs' get in the way. Once you've done that, break all the other issues down into 'bite sized' pieces, and it will all fall into place!

I suggest you ask some of your other questions on the immigration board. I do know that people leaving the states have to pay some kind of exit tax, but don't know if that would apply to you or not. We've had some interesting issues with international taxation ourselves recently; and one thing I've learned is that there are very few so called 'experts' truly qualified to deal with it. I can recommend someone who really knows his stuff, if you like. Again, congrats and good luck to you!

Last edited by Calgal; Jun 16th 2006 at 12:05 pm. Reason: There is no apostrophe in 'ifs' - eeejit! (Is there?!?!)
Old Jun 16th 2006, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

franki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nicefranki is just really nice

I think you should go for it in Wellington. It doesn't sound like you're happy here and by the sounds of things, a new job won't change that. Although, you're not going back to UK, at least it's a different place and a great opportunity. It may also help you decide weather you really do want to go back to UK or just away from CA. Sounds like it's too good to pass up. Good luck
Old Jun 16th 2006, 4:21 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

You lucky bastard. Get your bags packed!!

If you ever need an assistant......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.