Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The road grid system.... logical?

The road grid system.... logical?

Old Oct 30th 2012, 7:06 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The road grid system.... logical?

Originally Posted by guitarmaan
How do you know all this stuff?
Here's a weird one for ya.

Look at the squares a couple of miles below and above approximately US 60 in the east valley.
https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&l...32093&t=m&z=14

Notice they don't quite line up vertically. Then look for the obvious kinks in many of the main north/south roads around Baseline.

This is the correction for the curvature of the earth.

Weird, eh?
Old Oct 30th 2012, 1:18 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
This is the correction for the curvature of the earth.
Would you really notice an actual correction for the curvature of the earth on such a small scale?

Ian
Old Oct 30th 2012, 1:59 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
Ahhhh... is that nationwide generally? And what about number sequences? Because sometimes you can come up to an intersection with a road sign saying "Avenue Road 12300" and not know whether 12345 is to the right or to the left.

Generally speaking I do find things easier to, um, find here though.
I only know 2 addresses off hand, and they are the opposite...our house is a 7 on the west side, and my wifes office used to be a 5 on the north. Maybe its the opposite way round down here. Gonna have to check it out as I drive around......
Old Oct 30th 2012, 2:10 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=guitarmaan;10356817]
If any Americans are laughing at this point, take pity on me. I'm a newbie

QUOTE]

Gotta remember.....these are folk who still class Maryland and Delaware as "south", but exclude the 2 southernmost states from the "Deep South" so take their map directions with a pinch of salt. I tried explaining the background to my (then) 1st grader and he ended up deciding that he would use a different compass depending on whether he was doing geography or history
Old Oct 30th 2012, 2:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute

Edited to cover my shame ! ;-)

I should of course have used the great circle method. At Phoenix's latitude, the distortion relating to the earth's curvature is more like 0.01%, which is hardly noticeable on a map.

Perhaps 19th century surveying errors are to blame for the kink?

Last edited by FlyingDutchman6666; Oct 30th 2012 at 3:03 pm. Reason: .
Old Oct 30th 2012, 2:30 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Would you really notice an actual correction for the curvature of the earth on such a small scale?

Ian
The kink is a good 100ft or so -- you certainly notice it when you're on the road. There's another correction kink around Bell Rd.

The metro Phoenix grid really isn't a small scale.
Old Oct 30th 2012, 3:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

The trick with Phoenix metro is knowing the through roads. Certain main thoroughfares go all the way across others don't due to mountains canals and Airports for example. I recall one of our early house hunting trips we thought we had it down just had to turn right and we were there. Mountain says NO! You learn other things too like avoiding Scottsdale old town particularly during spring training.
Old Oct 30th 2012, 3:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Wuss!
Ah, but when you've got two kids and a wife screaming in the back, not getting lost is a bonus!
Old Oct 30th 2012, 3:46 pm
Septicity

Originally Posted by FlyingDutchman6666
Edited to cover my shame ! ;-)

I should of course have used the great circle method. At Phoenix's latitude, the distortion relating to the earth's curvature is more like 0.01%, which is hardly noticeable on a map.

Perhaps 19th century surveying errors are to blame for the kink?
Nope -- the kink at Baseline and again Bell is to maintain the true north/south direction of the roads. You can't understand t unless you can comprehend the true massiveness of the metro Phoenix sprawl.
Old Oct 30th 2012, 3:48 pm
Septicity

Ah, but when you've got two kids and a wife screaming in the back, not getting lost is a bonus!
Appoint them as navigators, and tell them that all turning directions not given within a reasonable time will be ignored.
Old Oct 30th 2012, 3:49 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

It may not happen in the expansive west, but in the compact and congested northeast you'll find many highways where when driving on Rt X North you are heading south, or when driving on Highway Y East you are heading west, and vice versa. The reason being that the compass designations are based on the overall direction of the full road, but due to geography some local sections of the road have reversed direction and are running the opposite way.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by guitarmaan
One thing I assumed when heading to the US is a simpler, more logical road layout compared to the UK. And sure enough, American roads (in Arizona) are mostly laid out in a grid. Compared to the UK mess, it's a "cakewalk".

However, hopefully someone can explain something to me. And perhaps I'm missing something obvious. But when a road is split between North and South, surely the the "North" part should be closer to the North pole, and the "South" part be closer to the South pole?

I ask because apparently this is not the case. An example being, S and N Rural Road in Tempe/Chandler AZ. Looking at google maps, S Rural Rd is above N Rural Rd. How can that be? Google maps is obviously laid on North top and South bottom. So Rural Rd should be N at top and S at bottom. No?
Old Oct 30th 2012, 3:59 pm

I'm with you there. I got a GPS when we first arrived 10 years ago, and it was invaluable. Unfortunately, I still need it a lot as I relied on my "crutch" and never really learned the local geography
Old Oct 30th 2012, 4:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

My street address ends in NE but I live in the NW of the city. This is because when the streets were built they were part of the city to the west, and were later incorporated into the much closer city to the east.

There is a street near me called 124th Ave NE. It intersects at a right angle with a street called NE 124th St in the middle of a business area. Causes lots of problems for directions.

Around here, north-south roads are Avenues and Drives, east-west roads are Streets and Places. Not always true though. No idea how the numbering system works. I have a narrow plot and the house number next door is about 8 more than mine! No wonder it gets into the thousands so easily. The thing I hate about the grid system is that roads end at one point and start up with the same name a few miles away. Without knowing the cross-streets you have no idea which road is the correct one.
Old Oct 30th 2012, 4:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute

Nope -- the kink at Baseline and again Bell is to maintain the true north/south direction of the roads. You can't understand t unless you can comprehend the true massiveness of the metro Phoenix sprawl.
Let's see where my very naive back-of-the-envelope calculation take us.

The distance between meridians changes with the cosine of the latitude - approximately, if the earth were a perfect sphere. So the *change* in distance between meridians changes with the sine of the latitude. At Phoenix's latitude, that would correspond to 1km per degree of latitude (111km). So 1%.

On a map of Phoenix, I count approx. 35x35 squares (square miles?). So to correct for the curvature, North Phoenix should be 1/3 square narrower than South Phoenix. If the correction is applied at two lines, say Baseline and Bell, the squares should narrow by 1/6 of a mile there - 300 yards - quite noticeable. And exactly the order of magnitude we see on the map !

So you might very well be correct.

I wonder what would happen in naive grid systems that didn't correct for the curvature of the earth. Presumably, land subdivisions would get smaller and smaller the further north you go. Not ideal for land owners to keep track of?

Last edited by FlyingDutchman6666; Oct 30th 2012 at 4:21 pm.
Old Oct 30th 2012, 4:29 pm
Septicity

Originally Posted by FlyingDutchman6666
Let's see where my very naive back-of-the-envelope calculation take us.

The distance between meridians changes with the cosine of the latitude - approximately, if the earth were a perfect sphere. So the *change* in distance between meridians changes with the sine of the latitude. At Phoenix's latitude, that would correspond to 1km per degree of latitude (111km). So 1%.

On a map of Phoenix, I count approx. 35x35 squares (square miles?). So to correct for the curvature, North Phoenix should be 1/3 square narrower than South Phoenix. If the correction is applied at two lines, say Baseline and Bell, the squares should narrow by 1/6 of a mile there - 300 yards - quite noticeable. And exactly the order of magnitude we see on the map !

So you might very well be correct.

I wonder what would happen in naive grid systems that didn't correct for the curvature of the earth. Presumably, land subdivisions would get smaller and smaller the further north you go. Not ideal for land owners to keep track of?
Yep -- I see we suffer from the same illness. I also took the back of an envelope and a pencil when a local told me about it many years ago. Of course, my answer was in fractions of a mile because I had no idea how many yards there were in a mile!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.