Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Right of redress or naivety?

Right of redress or naivety?

Old Oct 26th 2005, 3:56 pm
C'mon you Dragons

Schnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to beholdSchnorbitz is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Right of redress or naivety?

Originally Posted by Roadster280
Spoke to my mortgage bank today, they weren't happy not having the SSN. So I will have to look happy. If it is delayed by 2 weeks I will lose money, as my apartment is rented on a calendar month basis. If it is done by Nov 30, I will be no worse off. I don't want to rock the boat with the bank, so no point in escalating it with them.

Here's hoping, and thanks to everyone for their advice.
I closed yesterday on my house with no SS#. The SS# they used was the reference number from the letter of recipt they gave me. Right or wring I don't know but I now own a house. You might want to try Bank of America which is who I used. They have an internation relocation dept. I can give you the tel no and the name of the person I used if you're interested. PM me if you want it.
Old Nov 1st 2005, 3:01 pm

mdyoung is an unknown quantity at this point

Ran across this yesterday and thought someone might be interested.

Withholding on Wages of Nonresident Alien Employees Performing Services within the United States

Notice 2005-76

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-drop/n-05-76.pdf
Old Nov 1st 2005, 4:20 pm
Forum Regular

Roadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by mdyoung
Ran across this yesterday and thought someone might be interested.

Withholding on Wages of Nonresident Alien Employees Performing Services within the United States

Notice 2005-76

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-drop/n-05-76.pdf
Update on this, I went to the SSA this morning, and my I-94 was in the computer. So I should be able to go back on Thursday and get the number, with the card to arrive by end of next week. Seems to me its a bit of a lottery depending on the guy/lady behind the glass window. The old boy today couldnt have been any more help, he was terrific. Last week's mess wasnt helped by the eejit behind the window. They guy today even gave me a return slip for an appointment with him on Thursday.

Many thanks to all those who replied with positive suggestions. Looks like it was a short delay, but I was preparing for the worst. Another update later in the week.
Old Nov 1st 2005, 4:39 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roadster280
USeems to me its a bit of a lottery depending on the guy/lady behind the glass window.
Yes, this is exactly how EVERYTHING to do with bureaucracy and/or government here works.

So, if at first you don't succeed, go back another day, and/or to another office, and hope to get someone who gives a %$#@*

They do exist, but at times are hard to find...
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

Roadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to beholdRoadster280 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Elvira
Yes, this is exactly how EVERYTHING to do with bureaucracy and/or government here works.

So, if at first you don't succeed, go back another day, and/or to another office, and hope to get someone who gives a %$#@*

They do exist, but at times are hard to find...
Last update, I received my SSN today. My pay check arrived also, using a dummy SSN. So I need not have worried, but the stress of it all is not fun!

Thanks all for your encouragement.

Now paying taxes, Atlanta
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 9:30 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Good work fella.
You can now sleep easy in the knowledge that you are officially funding George W's lunacy. At least the next time you have to deal with any bureaucrats you can give it the whole "Listen here d*ckweed I pay your f-ing wages you know" line.
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 9:35 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Here?
Much like my experience with UK red tape and bureaucracy