Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Right or Priviledge?

Right or Priviledge?

Old Aug 11th 2005, 11:47 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Right or Priviledge?

Originally Posted by Guelder Rose
I thought the driving test was a joke too .... but then again, I looked online at what is currently expected of you if you are taking the UK driving test ... and it's the same as the US one ... you can make 15 mistakes and still pass!!!!
difference is, those are minor mistakes, and it's up to 3 in each section, so your allowed to stall, cross your arms over while turning etc..but a major fault is still a fail...plus you have to do a theory test that is a bit more of a challenge than over here, and do that stupid computer thingy to see how you react to situations....

with all the rusted old bangers still on the roads here, kids shouldn't have a problem getting there own motor, don't know why they all want new, expensive cars that they'll probably go and crash in 6 months anyway.
Old Aug 12th 2005, 12:53 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

For most parts of the US (that aren't big cities with developed public transport), I consider driving a necessity, not a right or privilege.

Having ridden the buses in my area, I detect that there is a fair proportion of the population who cannot simply afford to pay for the auto insurance and car, so are forced to ride buses.

NC Penguin
Old Aug 12th 2005, 12:53 am
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
difference is, those are minor mistakes, and it's up to 3 in each section, so your allowed to stall, cross your arms over while turning etc..but a major fault is still a fail...plus you have to do a theory test that is a bit more of a challenge than over here, and do that stupid computer thingy to see how you react to situations....

with all the rusted old bangers still on the roads here, kids shouldn't have a problem getting there own motor, don't know why they all want new, expensive cars that they'll probably go and crash in 6 months anyway.
You are allowed mistakes?

When I took my test at Kilbern, a couple of the bahlambs would fail you for wearing winkle picker shoes or sporting a Tony Curtis haircut.
Old Aug 12th 2005, 3:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Guelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
You are allowed mistakes?

When I took my test at Kilbern, a couple of the bahlambs would fail you for wearing winkle picker shoes or sporting a Tony Curtis haircut.
Same here, when I took my test in the UK, it was a case of the examiner being allowed to fail you for even a minor mistake (I think it was more a case of the examiner having discretion, rather than a set of guidelines to abide by), but then again that was twenty years ago. My brother failed four times ... he was an excellent driver and we finally figured that maybe he would be better off taking his test in another car, rather than the sporty car he had ... he passed fifth time driving a mini!

In the US, I still think it's crazy that you can pass your test while making up to 15 errors in the space of 10 minutes ... some might say that they are minor mistakes, but failing to check traffic at junctions or indicate 15 times in 10 minutes?
Old Aug 12th 2005, 3:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Guelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
For most parts of the US (that aren't big cities with developed public transport), I consider driving a necessity, not a right or privilege.

Having ridden the buses in my area, I detect that there is a fair proportion of the population who cannot simply afford to pay for the auto insurance and car, so are forced to ride buses.

NC Penguin
How true, driving in much of the US is a necessity, rather than a right or privilege. Maybe that is why they are so lenient when it comes to elderly drivers? After all, in the UK OAP's are given bus passes ... but one of those wouldn't be of much help where I live as public transport does not exist. To be honest, I feel sorry for the elderly here ... I remember in the UK, it wasn't only having a bus pass, but there were so many social clubs available to the elderly, and of course, who could forget the once a week gathering to collect their pension at the local post office!
Old Aug 12th 2005, 3:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc

I have the 401Manc system.
I'll match whatever they have to pay for a car. but they have to insure it.
I like it!
Old Aug 12th 2005, 3:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

I thought the driving test was a joke too .... but then again, I looked online at what is currently expected of you if you are taking the UK driving test ... and it's the same as the US one ... you can make 15 mistakes and still pass!!!!
But its still harder. At least the driving test is harder. There was no comparison to my UK driving test and my husband's Oregon driving test. He passed with a 100% (my four year old could have passed that test ) and I got three minors in the UK. I say my test results are better than his.
Old Aug 12th 2005, 3:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
But its still harder. At least the driving test is harder. There was no comparison to my UK driving test and my husband's Oregon driving test. He passed with a 100% (my four year old could have passed that test ) and I got three minors in the UK. I say my test results are better than his.
I'm assuming your test in the UK was a lot longer than 10 minutes? I seem to remember that my UK test was about 40 minutes and included an emergency stop, three point turn and reversing round a corner (my corner happened to go uphill too) ... my US test was simply drive for 10 minutes and reverse in a straight line for about 15 feet.
Old Aug 12th 2005, 3:58 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

I know from previous threads Manc and I agree on "the next generation are pussy's" thing....It really is out of control. The thing is, its the parents that are allowing there sons and daughters to drive around in 5.0 - 250 horsepower "weapons".

My wife's cousin got a Mustang when she turned 16, she wrecked it 3 times so her dad sold that and bought her a camero

The mind boggles?
Old Aug 12th 2005, 4:09 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
She is a lovely old lady but certainly should not be on the road.
I'm not disagreeing with what most everyone has said here about driving in the US -- the test is lame, driving is a necessity, etc. -- but I find the comments about older licensed drivers funny, especially when Brits can take a test when they're 17 and the license they get lasts for 53 YEARS! :scared:

A lot can happen to you between the ages of 17 and 70, yet you apparently never need to come in to renew your license, have your eyes checked, etc. I find THAT a bit scary!!

~ Jenney
Old Aug 12th 2005, 5:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
I'm not disagreeing with what most everyone has said here about driving in the US -- the test is lame, driving is a necessity, etc. -- but I find the comments about older licensed drivers funny, especially when Brits can take a test when they're 17 and the license they get lasts for 53 YEARS! :scared:

A lot can happen to you between the ages of 17 and 70, yet you apparently never need to come in to renew your license, have your eyes checked, etc. I find THAT a bit scary!!

~ Jenney
Paper licences were replaced by photo-card licences a few years ago ... paper licences are still valid, but must be replaced with the new licence if you change your name or address.

The new style licence has to be renewed every ten years, and once you reach 70 y/o you have to renew it every three years.

As far as medical conditions go, I believe the onus is on the driver to report any condition to DVLC that might affect ability to drive. I have no idea whether a doctor would report a relevant condition to DVLC ... although, I do know some doctors that have done so.
Old Aug 12th 2005, 5:48 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

~ Jenney
Er...in AZ the license is issued till 65. Unsure when you can get your first one as it's typical gobbledygook regs to read and I haven't drunk my 3rd coffee yet, but it starts somewhere around 15 or 16.
Old Aug 12th 2005, 6:03 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

~ Jenney

I have a PA license that I renew every 4 years and I go in to get a photo put on it but they don't check my eyesight or health. As long as I can make it in and out, Okay. I have a handicap placard but that information isn't on the license.
Old Aug 12th 2005, 6:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I'm assuming your test in the UK was a lot longer than 10 minutes? I seem to remember that my UK test was about 40 minutes and included an emergency stop, three point turn and reversing round a corner (my corner happened to go uphill too) ... my US test was simply drive for 10 minutes and reverse in a straight line for about 15 feet.
My UK test lasted about 20 minutes and had 2 out of 3 manuevers including the emergency stop. My husband's test was driving down through the middle of town, turning left and then coming back. Perhaps they do that for experienced drivers. When I got my first license at 16 in California, I had to do a few more stunts.
Old Aug 12th 2005, 6:52 pm
strangely floppy..

CarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Right or Priviledge?

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
Driving in the US... is it a right or a priviledge?

I was always brought up to think it was a priviledge and I still do... however in the US it seems to be seen as more a right

An example one of my neighbours just turned 91 and she is still driving and seems to think it is OK to do so even though she is as deaf as a post (her rear wheel jammed one day and was screaching extremly loud, I thought it was someone skidding to avoid an accident... she did not hear it and only stopped because her car would not go any faster :scared She is a lovely old lady but certainly should not be on the road. Then there is my husbands niece who seemed to expect a car when she turned 16, I have noticed that seems to be the way with most kids here... by the way who in their right minds thought it was OK for kids to start learning to drive at 14.5 years anyhow?

whatda ya think?

Ash
Here in Ohio, down by the West Virginia borders the standard of driving is so poor it would scare the crap out of Italians!. We have a lot of kids who go to the local college, and consequently a lot of very happy State Troopers sitting in wait every morning.

The most popular hand-me-down vehicles here are enormous p.o.s V8 pickup trucks.. which greatly help the careful little children in their understanding of safe driving!

Come back Picadilly Circus.. all is forgiven.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.