Return to UK for healthcare

Wikiposts

Return to UK for healthcare

Old Sep 8th 2013, 8:04 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Return to UK for healthcare

Originally Posted by DebzinUS
Working in the healthcare industry is no guarantee of health insurance. I have worked in health care in the US for 25 years. It is a rare employer (yes, even healthcare employers) who will pay the full cost of an employees insurance premium. Its worse when you add family members.
Why should they pay anything? And for Employees family members as well?
Old Sep 8th 2013, 8:19 am
BE Enthusiast

cluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond repute

Working in the healthcare industry is no guarantee of health insurance.
Yep. the healthcare provider I'm starting work for in October offers 90% premium payment for me and 50% for my wife. That's a $5,000 deductible/80% plan. I'll be paying just under $450 per month.
Old Sep 8th 2013, 8:21 am
BE Enthusiast

cluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Why should they pay anything?
Because it would be in their interest to make sue their employees are healthy and stress free?
Old Sep 8th 2013, 8:29 am
BE Enthusiast

DebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond repute

If an employer wants to attract the brightest and the best then they will choose to offer healthcare benefits as part of an overall compensation packet. Although, with the Affordable Care Act that won't be a choice any longer.

The comment I was responding to stated that there was no issue with health insurance as the spouse/partner worked in healthcare. I was simply pointing out that that even health care providers need health insurance.
Old Sep 8th 2013, 8:33 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Auntieginzie, what a worrying time for you. I had a quick look at some stuff online and it looks like you should be able to get NHS care free of charge. If you haven't been out of the UK for more than 5 years and resident there for 10 years, that will entitle you to free care. Also, if you are going to become a permanent resident again, that will also entitle you. I got this information from here: http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/AboutNH...-services.aspx - look under the exempt category.
Old Sep 8th 2013, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

Lanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond repute

Working in the healthcare industry is no guarantee of health insurance. I have worked in health care in the US for 25 years. It is a rare employer (yes, even healthcare employers) who will pay the full cost of an employees insurance premium. Its worse when you add family members.
I'm aware of the fact that its not 100% free and we have to contribute but its a cheaper plan than taking it out n our own. I do hope though that by time we arrive the reform brings down prices even further by making the market more competitive. So that we don't feel like we need to go elsewhere for treatment like OP.
Old Sep 8th 2013, 11:25 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by cluedweasel
Because it would be in their interest to make sue their employees are healthy and stress free?
So if they live in a ramshackle house with dodgy plumbing the Employer should supply a new house.

What if the Car or their spouses car is old and prone to breakdown?

I could of course go on, and on.
Old Sep 8th 2013, 11:47 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

So if they live in a ramshackle house with dodgy plumbing the Employer should supply a new house.

What if the Car or their spouses car is old and prone to breakdown?

I could of course go on, and on.
For some reason, in the USA it is traditional for employers to be responsible for their workers' health insurance. No real rhyme or reason, just the way they do it in the USA. In general employers aren't expected to supply houses or cars to their workers.
Old Sep 8th 2013, 11:55 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by robin1234
For some reason, in the USA it is traditional for employers to be responsible for their workers' health insurance. No real rhyme or reason, just the way they do it in the USA. In general employers aren't expected to supply houses or cars to their workers.
The Military often provides housing.

I can remember when it was common to supply Company Cars in the UK, not so now. Things change.
Old Sep 9th 2013, 2:48 am
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
In which case you should all ensure that Cameron is retuned with a majority in 2015 to get the promised referendum on EU membership.
Jesus Christ, no. Why would anyone vote for a man that deliberately sets out to hurt those voters who are usually supporters of his own party? Thatcher called them 'our people'. DC & GO have deliberately ostracized them.

Milliband will win the 2015 election, by a mile.
Old Sep 9th 2013, 2:50 am
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Because they want to attract employees, perhaps? I wouldn't work for a company that didn't provide healthcare. No chance.
Old Sep 9th 2013, 3:30 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
Because they want to attract employees, perhaps? I wouldn't work for a company that didn't provide healthcare. No chance.
Same deal with Company Cars, in the end most people took the money.
Old Sep 9th 2013, 3:32 am
Banned

Same deal with Company Cars, in the end most people took the money.
No, not at all in fact. A 'car' isn't an essential requirement, it's a perk. Healthcare is not a 'perk'. It's a critical requirement.
Old Sep 9th 2013, 4:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Some people don't have that choice. Only 57% of employers offer some kind of health insurance. And in some industries, insurance as a benefit is practically non-existent. Fortunately, I work in an industry where good health insurance is the norm, but the reality is many people don't. And that's before we even consider the self-employed, many of whom are extremely vulnerable until the ACA kicks in next Jan 1st.
Old Sep 9th 2013, 4:23 am
Account Closed

No, not at all in fact. A 'car' isn't an essential requirement, it's a perk. Healthcare is not a 'perk'. It's a critical requirement.
Far far more people have Cars or Trucks than Health Insurance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.