Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Return to UK for healthcare

Return to UK for healthcare

Old Sep 7th 2013, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

auntieginzy is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Return to UK for healthcare

I have been a US immigrant for about a year now. I am just undergoing tests for cancer. I am insured but not sure it would cover all the stuff I might need. Is it possible to return to the UK for my treatment? Has anyone experienced this?
Old Sep 7th 2013, 8:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

DebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Return to UK for healthcare

Originally Posted by auntieginzy
I have been a US immigrant for about a year now. I am just undergoing tests for cancer. I am insured but not sure it would cover all the stuff I might need. Is it possible to return to the UK for my treatment? Has anyone experienced this?
My cousin just returned to the UK because his health insurance did not pay all costs related to treating cancer. He had lived in the US (Florida) for 20 yrs, owned a business, but just could not afford to stay in the US to receive care. He left at the beginning of August, and is currently undergoing treatment. I understand that if you go back to the UK and make the UK your permanent home, then NHS treatment is possible. If you stay in the US you will need to check your policy to identify what is covered, the deductibles, co-pays, and out of pocket expenses. I would be surprised if your insurance in the US would cover everything.
Old Sep 7th 2013, 8:13 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

As the above says, if you become resident in the Uk again then yes NHS treatment is free. If you remain a US Resident than no, it will not be.
Old Sep 7th 2013, 8:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
As the above says, if you become resident in the Uk again then yes NHS treatment is free. If you remain a US Resident than no, it will not be.
The major exception would be if the OP is in receipt of a UK state retirement pension.
Old Sep 7th 2013, 9:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond repute

It may be worth asking on the 'Moving Back to the UK' forum but I am pretty sure that since you have not been out of the UK for three years you can just slot straight back into using the NHS if you make the UK your home.

Sorry you are having to deal with this, it must be so stressful.
Old Sep 8th 2013, 12:56 am
Forum Regular

auntieginzy is an unknown quantity at this point

thank you so much for your helpful comments. I do have a UK pension so that sounds good. Just need to wait and see what needs doing now.
Old Sep 8th 2013, 1:25 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
The major exception would be if the OP is in receipt of a UK state retirement pension.
So even if you are non-resident, but you are receiving a UK state pension, then you are entitled to free NHS? That's useful to know...I didn't know that.
Old Sep 8th 2013, 1:28 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

thank you so much for your helpful comments. I do have a UK pension so that sounds good. Just need to wait and see what needs doing now.
Good luck..hope all goes well. My FIL and a close friend are both having chemo at the moment at MD Anderson here in Houston, and getting pretty good treatment overall. I hope you receive likewise.
Old Sep 8th 2013, 3:05 am
Forum Regular

guitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond reputeguitarmaan has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with your treatment. I'm guessing this is the issue most expats don't want to think about i.e. going home for treatment even when they have US insurance. And it makes you wonder what use insurance is at all when it hardly covers the people paying it.

Does anyone know which rules the UK currently enforces for proving you've returned to live? Selling your US home? having a UK job? It's all a bit tenuous because anyone could move back the US immediately after successful treatment (assuming the US allows it).
Old Sep 8th 2013, 3:30 am
Forum Regular

mamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
So even if you are non-resident, but you are receiving a UK state pension, then you are entitled to free NHS? That's useful to know...I didn't know that.
Me neither.....I'd like to know if it's true, as I've got my UK pension... but didn't think I qualify for NHS any more.
Old Sep 8th 2013, 3:30 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

You are dealing with 2 completely unrelated systems with regulations that do not and are not supposed to intertwine.

I can well imagine it is possible to be screwed by both or benefit from both depending how you work things out.

I would exhaust any US provisions first before utilising the NHS. NHS can be a bit of a lottery.
Old Sep 8th 2013, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

Lanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond reputeLanyu has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear your situation

You wouldn't be entitled to it for free as a Pensioner as you are living outside the EEA European Economic Area (EEA) & Switzerland

It would be ashame to have to have to leave a country where the care is better to joint a waiting list its either time or money.
Old Sep 8th 2013, 12:36 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lanyu

It would be ashame to have to have to leave a country where the care is better to joint a waiting list its either time or money.
But the care is only better in the US if you have effective access to that good care ... that is, if you can afford to pay out of pocket for care, or if you have very good insurance. Not all Americans are in that fortunate situation!
Old Sep 8th 2013, 1:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

DebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond reputeDebzinUS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
But the care is only better in the US if you have effective access to that good care ... that is, if you can afford to pay out of pocket for care, or if you have very good insurance. Not all Americans are in that fortunate situation!
I so agree! The US has arguably the best health care in the world...if you can access the system. What good is living in a country with the 'best' health care if it not available to you?
Old Sep 8th 2013, 1:28 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

OP sounds like she has access.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.