Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Retirement in the US, pension and medical care

Retirement in the US, pension and medical care

Old Dec 7th 2007, 1:27 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Retirement in the US, pension and medical care

US Citizens and LPR's ave to declare their worldwide income for tax puposes.

For your example, I uess they take the view that they are not leaing much behind so no great loss.

The affadavit seems rairly enforced, well I have never heard of it once being enforced.

CAL I think has benefits that may not be an issue anyway, State by State, seem to remeber it being discussed before, do not remebmer the details.
Old Dec 8th 2007, 7:23 pm
Just Joined

keano is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys. Tracy I understand what your writing. I agree. All the more reason for universal healthcare in US. I am a born here and would give up more taxes for a better health care system personally. Sad to think this is the one problem stopping her coming... health insurance. Which is all big business, big corporation here.

I see people coming here from Armenia, Latin America? (my wife is Latin) I am not racist just stating facts, but they have a built in system of looking after one and other in seems. Whole thing is just sad.
Old Dec 9th 2007, 1:22 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

They do this for US Citizens as well. And, honestly, why shouldn't they. If the estate of the deceased has any assets then the government agency should be reimbursed for the costs they expended on the deceases behalf for their healthcare, etc.

This occurred when my father at age 91 died in March of this year. He was on Medicaid and upon his death we had to sign papers that there was no money in any account of his and that if there were, it was to be sent to them. We didn't feel that we were being abused by the government.

Originally Posted by JackieP
After 5 years, when people can become citizens, the sponsorship stuff is pretty much over whether the parent is a citizen or not.

The main reason to get citizenship (apart from wanting to vote and all that) is if you are in need - you will qualify for welfare if you are a citizen but have to jump through hoops if not.

Did I mention that I just found out that the government attempts to get its money back after you die, if you were poor enough to qualify for medicaid benefits? It's a whole other attitude here as far as social welfare.

My adult daughter also has no medical coverage because she is self employed and has a prior condition. I'm pretty mad at the US health care system.
Old Dec 10th 2007, 5:34 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackieP
After 5 years, when people can become citizens, the sponsorship stuff is pretty much over whether the parent is a citizen or not.

The main reason to get citizenship (apart from wanting to vote and all that) is if you are in need - you will qualify for welfare if you are a citizen but have to jump through hoops if not.

Did I mention that I just found out that the government attempts to get its money back after you die, if you were poor enough to qualify for medicaid benefits? It's a whole other attitude here as far as social welfare.

My adult daughter also has no medical coverage because she is self employed and has a prior condition. I'm pretty mad at the US health care system.
I wonder if the adult daughter has tried to find her own health insurance even though she's self-employed?
Old Dec 11th 2007, 9:38 am
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Its pretty clear that its lip service to social programs in the US. Which is a shame because so much more could be offered (the country can afford it - its obvious) and therefore the general quality of life could increase. What mystifies me is that freedom is equated with less programs and yet people are shackled to their jobs by health insurance and then when it is time to retire, many find they must still work to maintain that same insurance.