Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Retirement in the US

Retirement in the US

Old Oct 11th 2003, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

sparkler has a reputation beyond reputesparkler has a reputation beyond reputesparkler has a reputation beyond reputesparkler has a reputation beyond reputesparkler has a reputation beyond reputesparkler has a reputation beyond reputesparkler has a reputation beyond reputesparkler has a reputation beyond reputesparkler has a reputation beyond reputesparkler has a reputation beyond reputesparkler has a reputation beyond repute
Default Retirement in the US

I am planning to move over to the US to marry a US citizen and I want to find out about retirement for British citizens in the US. I am in my 30s and have been paying my NI/tax contributions in England/Europe. Can these contributions be transferred to US? Would a British citizen taking out a pension plan in the US also have a government pension when they retire?
Thanks.sparkler.
Old Oct 11th 2003, 3:08 pm
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Retirement in the US

Originally posted by sparkler
I am planning to move over to the US to marry a US citizen and I want to find out about retirement for British citizens in the US. I am in my 30s and have been paying my NI/tax contributions in England/Europe. Can these contributions be transferred to US? Would a British citizen taking out a pension plan in the US also have a government pension when they retire?
Thanks.sparkler.
Two part question, two part answer.

Any NI contributions or pensions you payed into in the UK cannot be moved to the USA, they are governed by completly different laws and never the twain shall meet. You can however claim on any private pension you haved paid into when it matures.

You can carry on paying NI contributions for your pension and draw that at retiring age as well.

The USA is not a nanny state, it has no responsibility to look after its citizens and as such there is no "state" pension (a government pension over here is something that is paid to those who worked for the government).

For your pension over here you have to save up yourself, although some companies pay contributions much the same as they do in the UK. There are many and various ways to save for your pension but the best known is the 401k, you can go onto any american bank website and they will have full explanations on how it works. Basically it is tax free saving plan until you retire then you pay income tax on it. You can also dip into it a couple of times if times are tight (as it is seen as savings plan and not pension scheme).

Good Luck and God Bless

Patrick
Old Oct 11th 2003, 3:19 pm
Forum Regular

BritSteve99 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you have a personal pension in the UK, there seems to be no way to transfer it into a US pension. You have to wait until you retire until you can get access to it and transfer it.

I believe that there is some reciprocal pension arrangement between the UK and US, but it hasn't been ratified.

If someone knows any different, please let me know. I would like to transfer my personal pension to a US pension, but can't seem to do it.
Old Oct 11th 2003, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

SueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond reputeSueIP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by BritSteve99
If you have a personal pension in the UK, there seems to be no way to transfer it into a US pension. You have to wait until you retire until you can get access to it and transfer it.

I believe that there is some reciprocal pension arrangement between the UK and US, but it hasn't been ratified.

If someone knows any different, please let me know. I would like to transfer my personal pension to a US pension, but can't seem to do it.

I want to be able to transfer my private pension too - would be interested to hear any reponses...
Old Oct 11th 2003, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

sparkler has a reputation beyond reputesparkler has a reputation beyond reputesparkler has a reputation beyond reputesparkler has a reputation beyond reputesparkler has a reputation beyond reputesparkler has a reputation beyond reputesparkler has a reputation beyond reputesparkler has a reputation beyond reputesparkler has a reputation beyond reputesparkler has a reputation beyond reputesparkler has a reputation beyond repute
Default Thanks for your replies - pensions in us

Thanks a lot for your replies - looks like I'll be taking out a new private pension plan when I get there. Will look up that K104 pension plan on the web. I would like to know if anyone has any further information about pension plans. With regard to my normal NI/tax contributions back in the UK, will I ever be able to claim those back in any way?
Thanks, sparkler.
Old Oct 11th 2003, 6:12 pm
ScarlettHill

Default Re: Thanks for your replies - pensions in us

Thanks a lot for your replies - looks like I'll be taking out a new private pension plan when I get there. Will look up that K104 pension plan on the web. I would like to know if anyone has any further information about pension plans. With regard to my normal NI/tax contributions back in the UK, will I ever be able to claim those back in any way?
Thanks, sparkler.
That's 401K you want.

Regards
-=-
Scarlett

Old Oct 11th 2003, 6:13 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you. sparkler.
Old Oct 11th 2003, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

dave f is an unknown quantity at this point

i have tried to move my personal pension with abbey life to the US with no luck , a pension advisor here has told me that the UK company has to be able to transfere the fund value from sterling into dollars before any pension provider will consider taking over your policy
Old Mar 29th 2004, 8:00 pm
Just Joined

scotsman60 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Transferring personal pensions from the UK to USA

I found this thread while looking for info on trasnferring my personal pension fomr the UK to the US.

Since the pound buys a lot if dollars right now it seems like a good time to transfer.

Does anyone know of a way to transfer UK personal pensions to US IRA's or other pensions/retirment savings schemes?

It seems like the reciprocal laws are in place but I can't find anyone who can do this. MY UK pension providers seem to be able to do this - but I can't find anyone in the US to take the money!!!!!

Thanx,

Doug
Old Mar 29th 2004, 8:27 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Transferring personal pensions from the UK to USA

Originally posted by scotsman60
I found this thread while looking for info on trasnferring my personal pension fomr the UK to the US.

Since the pound buys a lot if dollars right now it seems like a good time to transfer.

Does anyone know of a way to transfer UK personal pensions to US IRA's or other pensions/retirment savings schemes?

It seems like the reciprocal laws are in place but I can't find anyone who can do this. MY UK pension providers seem to be able to do this - but I can't find anyone in the US to take the money!!!!!

Thanx,

Doug
There are some finance companies on the Britshexpats.com Homepage that supposedly deal with US/UK pensions. Try this one, for example: http://www.britpensions.com/

When I tried this (transferring a 401k from US to the UK, and then transferring a professional pension from UK to US), I was told the same thing both times - can't do it (b/c retirement tax laws are different in the UK and US).
Old Mar 29th 2004, 8:42 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you. sparkler.
Also look into a Roth IRA if your company doesn't offer the 401K.