Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Retirement age US vs UK. Opinions needed.

Wikiposts

Retirement age US vs UK. Opinions needed.

Old Nov 14th 2008, 6:30 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Retirement age US vs UK. Opinions needed.

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
Wow...do you turn the lights on at night, or do you sit mostly in the dark? In all seriousness, we recently also cancelled the cable (only have 'basic' channels now). The bill went from $170 to $85. And we plan on getting a programmable thermostat to control energy costs. I agree that most people need to really look at those 'necessities' and evaluate what they really need. They'd probably get a huge shock to realize just how much more they could be saving if they got rid of them.
Here's a picture of me and a guy I used to work with.
http://www.victorianweb.org/art/illu...n/carol/02.jpg
Old Nov 14th 2008, 7:10 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
And we plan on getting a programmable thermostat to control energy costs. I agree that most people need to really look at those 'necessities' and evaluate what they really need. They'd probably get a huge shock to realize just how much more they could be saving if they got rid of them.
I have my thermostat set at 60 degs for times when I'm home and 55 at night and when I'm out. Heating hasn't turned on yet
Old Nov 14th 2008, 7:17 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
I have my thermostat set at 60 degs for times when I'm home and 55 at night and when I'm out. Heating hasn't turned on yet
I thought you only made a saving over a 2 degree differential, any more than that and you'd lose the savings in trying to raise the temp back up?

Anyway, we've got it set to 62 all day, because of the baby, and use an electric heater thats on a timer to bump up her room temp a little before bed etc.
Old Nov 14th 2008, 7:43 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

We set the thermostat to about 65 during the day, unless I have the woodstove on. I turn off the heat (and a/c in summer) at night, no one seems to notice, or we are just used to it.
No cable TV for us, just basic TV and DSL and phone in a package including long distance, international calls are nice and cheap on this package about a penny a minute to UK and my bill is about $80 a month.
Gas is $55 a month and Electric is about $800 -$1,000 a year.
It's possible to cut the bills down and not live like scrooge.
Old Nov 14th 2008, 7:50 am
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I thought you only made a saving over a 2 degree differential, any more than that and you'd lose the savings in trying to raise the temp back up?

Anyway, we've got it set to 62 all day, because of the baby, and use an electric heater thats on a timer to bump up her room temp a little before bed etc.
That's what I thought, also. We keep ours at 63 during day because of our baby (Linus, our 4-lb Morkie) and 67 when we're asleep. DH would have it lower if I let him. We converted both fireplaces to natural gas (furnace too new to replace just yet) so we turn one or both on (depending on temp. & if we're having company, etc.) and it has made a tremendous difference in our energy expenses.
Old Nov 14th 2008, 8:46 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tamms_1965
That's what I thought, also. We keep ours at 63 during day because of our baby (Linus, our 4-lb Morkie) and 67 when we're asleep. DH would have it lower if I let him. We converted both fireplaces to natural gas (furnace too new to replace just yet) so we turn one or both on (depending on temp. & if we're having company, etc.) and it has made a tremendous difference in our energy expenses.
We keep our heat off at night & during the day, and have it at about 50 degrees in the evening when we're at home sitting around the woodstove. When it gets cold, then we have to leave the heat on 24 hrs a day. That usually starts in late December (we can easily get -30 or -40F here.)
Old Nov 14th 2008, 11:30 am
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
We keep our heat off at night & during the day, and have it at about 50 degrees in the evening when we're at home sitting around the woodstove. When it gets cold, then we have to leave the heat on 24 hrs a day. That usually starts in late December (we can easily get -30 or -40F here.)
That is cold....we get below zero but not too often.
Old Nov 14th 2008, 10:01 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Merkur
I am an ex-pat that has worked in the US for the past 25 years in a good position in a major corporation. I am 54 years old. The salary and benefits are good and we have put two kids through good colleges. That being said, the earliest I can see retiring is in another 5-6 years when I’ll be 60ish.

One thing that I just cannot work out is how my friends, in similar large companies in the UK can afford to retire at around 54. I have just got an email from a friend in the same company I work for in the UK, and he is retiring at 54. It makes no sense to me when the salaries are lower, the taxes higher, the house and car prices the same. The only things that cost more in the US are what we spend on our kid’s education, health care, what we have to put aside for care in retirement.

This has puzzled me for years, and I am very interested in a comparison of the net worth of people in similar positions in the UK and in the US and what their annual taxes and expenditures break out to be. Are the pension plans that much better in the UK than in the US? Is social security that much higher?

I am very interested in your opinions on this. I am ready to retire!

Paul
I think anyone who is able to retire before 65 is exceptionally lucky. Regardless of whether you are talking about the US/UK, I think the current economic crisis means that many people currently working will end up retiring much closer to 70 or 75 than 65.

My experience when I think "How can someone possibly afford to ....?" is that their wealth usually has little to do with their job and everything to do with inheritance or luck/good timing. For most working- and middle-class people, paying into a pension fund or investing in the stock market does not make them rich enough to retire early or afford a half-million dollar/pound house.

Of course, a major difference in the UK is that some people are still in defined-benefit ("final salary") pension schemes. There have been several articles recently showing how people in final salary schemes are anything from 3 to 8 times better off financially in retirement than people in defined-contribution schemes (where you invest your pension in the stock market and then buy an annuity with the pot when you retire).
Old Nov 15th 2008, 3:19 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
I think anyone who is able to retire before 65 is exceptionally lucky.
I retired at 49 ....Lifes a bitch ...
Old Nov 15th 2008, 4:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Anyway, we've got it set to 62 all day,
Brrr!!

Our's is automatic, got it set to cool if it gets to 77, and heat if it gets to 74.
This time of year the bill drops quite a lot - so funny that its completely opposite to 'oop North.
Old Nov 15th 2008, 5:06 am
Banned

englishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
Brrr!!

Our's is automatic, got it set to cool if it gets to 77, and heat if it gets to 74.
This time of year the bill drops quite a lot - so funny that its completely opposite to 'oop North.
Ours is automatic too, at night it's set to cool if it goes above 66, that's as high as I can reasonably tolerate. It would have to drop below 48 before it would hit heat, and it's pretty unlikely to do that down here, unfortunately.
Old Nov 15th 2008, 9:37 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Brrr!!

lucky you

Can't afford it any higher even if we wanted to though, but that's what winter sweaters are for
Old Nov 15th 2008, 11:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by englishinfl
Ours is automatic too, at night it's set to cool if it goes above 66, that's as high as I can reasonably tolerate. It would have to drop below 48 before it would hit heat, and it's pretty unlikely to do that down here, unfortunately.
Wow, must be running constantly in the summer!
Old Nov 17th 2008, 12:28 am
Banned

englishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, must be running constantly in the summer!
At night, yes it is, thankfully!
Doesn't matter to me Dan, I'd rather be able to sleep well at nights than have a cheaper electricity bill. It's set at a higher temp for daytime hours.
Old Nov 17th 2008, 12:53 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by englishinfl
Doesn't matter to me Dan, I'd rather be able to sleep well at nights than have a cheaper electricity bill.
same here, ours runs 24/7 virtually and thank god it does, that's my only saving grace here

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.