Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Retirement age US vs UK. Opinions needed.

Retirement age US vs UK. Opinions needed.

Old Nov 13th 2008, 2:57 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Retirement age US vs UK. Opinions needed.

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
How are they not free? My children can both get good education and free healthcare without us having to pay for it. Admittedly, they are paid for using taxes but I would still count that as free as we don't have to find any extra money to pay for them. And even if we weren't paying taxes we'd still all be eligible to use them - so therefore they are free services for any UK citizen if they choose to avail themselves of them.

Just out of interest, what would it cost to give a child in the US healthcare and education say to the age of 21? I'm guessing tens of thousands of dollars, particularly to pay for a college education, so it doesn't even compare to the tiny percentage of our taxes that we pay for the same service here.

That must be a major saving and one reason why the OP's British friends are retiring earlier than those in the US.
I was counting taxes a the cost of education and health care. I grew up in the UK and have lived in the US for 20 years and I'd generally agree that overall healthcare and access to education is better in the UK. But I've seen some worrying changes in the UK system like top up fees for students, so don't sit back and think the UK system is great, it's being nibbled away and we need to protect it.

The cost to raise a child and access to healthcare and education in the US is very dependent on what state you live in. I can only describe it for Massachusetts which is not your average US state as we have gay marriage and there's state subsidized mandatory health insurance.

Up to the age of 19 every child in MA who is not covered on their parents' health insurance is covered by the state at no cost to the child or it's parents. The cost paid for a family plan where I work is $2.5k/year and you pay $10 for every visit, there's also a 1.5% payroll tax for Medicare which goes towards retired people's health care.

Education is free in MA from age 5 to 18, every school district also has to offer state subsidized kindergarten, in some districts it's free some places charge upto $3k a year.

College education can be very expensive $40k per year for some private colleges, but most students don't actually pay that much as they get grants and cost reductions depending on their parents' income. For example Harvard announced it would pay as much as $120 million a year so that families earning up to $180,000 a year will have to spend only up to 10 percent of their annual incomes on tuition fees.

Students whose families earn less than $60,000 a year do not have to pay tuition to go to Harvard. Wellesley is doing something similar

The annual cost to send a kid to MA state university is $10k tuition and $8k room and board, but those costs are also offset by grants and low interest loans.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 3:07 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tamms_1965
Aren't you "fined" if you take out certain types of retirement funds before you hit 59 in the U.S.? Plus, individual companies have limits on the types of benefits you'll get if you retire too early. Some people need the Medicare as a backup insurance when they retire and I don't think you can apply for that until you're 65.
There are ways to access 401ks or 403bs etc before 59.5 without the tax and withdrawal penalties, but for regular withdrawals there's a 10% penalty before 59.5. 457 retirement funds, however, can be accessed as soon as you leave the job, no penalties. Many early retirees also have after tax savings and use them until they reach 59.5 or social security age, and once the mortgage is paid off expenses go way down. My employer also offers full retiree health care benefits at age 55 so I'd keep the same health care as I have now and pay the same premiums.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 5:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Redwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I would think that the major flaw in your reasoning is that salaries are lower in the UK. Every job we've seen in the US has been no more than 2/3rds of what my husband is on now. Admittedly he's on a London salary so earns more than he would for a comparable role in other parts of the UK but anybody that works in London is likely to earn much more than they would in the US I would have thought?

And you mentioned education and healthcare but presumably they are things that cost quite a bit? As both are free here that must account for a fairly substantial saving over time.

I have not yet lived in the US so cannot comment on cost of living, etc, over there, but those are just my observations so far.

Depends on what rate of exchange and what your job is I guess. As a registered engineer, mainly in construction management, I am able to earn a good deal more in the USA, than anywhere in the UK from what I have been able to find. And that does not include bonuses.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

fogga4000 will become famous soon enough

My wife is a teacher but has to pay for her own healthcare and pays $260 a month for a very basic package(which doesnt include dental care). From university I left with about 10000 pound of debt with no assistance from parents whereas my wife who studied in the U.S left with $70000 debt having had assistance from her parents. That is a massive difference and quite frankly don't know why people go to private colleges unless they are getting it all paid for(even so its crazy).
Old Nov 13th 2008, 6:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Merkur
The only things that cost more in the US are what we spend on our kid’s education, health care, what we have to put aside for care in retirement.

Paul
I think thats the major flaw in your logic. While these may be "the only things" that are more expensive here, they are very big "only things". As is BIG. MASSIVE even!

Working for a big corporation for all those years, you'll have always had decent benefits. Once you get out on your own, you might find that cost for your own cover will massively increase. Especially if things start to go wrong, as they are prone to doing as we age....

For what its worth, however, I think the trend will also be impacting the UK shortly, if it isn't already - the western world is getting to a point where all the systems in place that people have counted on for years (healthcare, pension, etc) are starting to break down.

Last edited by Dan725; Nov 13th 2008 at 6:03 pm.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 7:12 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fogga4000
My wife is a teacher but has to pay for her own healthcare and pays $260 a month for a very basic package(which doesnt include dental care). From university I left with about 10000 pound of debt with no assistance from parents whereas my wife who studied in the U.S left with $70000 debt having had assistance from her parents. That is a massive difference and quite frankly don't know why people go to private colleges unless they are getting it all paid for(even so its crazy).
My undergrad was free (except for books, fees, and day care) due to my ex working at the university. My master's was free and I was also paid for teaching.

My daughter goes to Ohio State (in top 500 of world) and it is less than $9000 a year for everything except room and board. My son goes to Columbus State, a community college, and it is half of that. So it all depends on where you go and what grants, scholarships, etc. you can get. It's not always easy, but if you want to go badly enough it usually works out.

Last edited by tamms_1965; Nov 13th 2008 at 7:15 pm.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 7:25 pm
Banned

englishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
I think thats the major flaw in your logic. While these may be "the only things" that are more expensive here, they are very big "only things". As is BIG. MASSIVE even!

Now that's getting things into perspective.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 8:04 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by tamms_1965
My daughter goes to Ohio State (in top 500 of world) and it is less than $9000 a year for everything except room and board. My son goes to Columbus State, a community college, and it is half of that. So it all depends on where you go and what grants, scholarships, etc. you can get. It's not always easy, but if you want to go badly enough it usually works out.
$40k a year is seldom what anyone pays for college, and that $10k to 15k is probably a good figure for the total cost to send a kid to a state college. Some will cost more, some less, and some families will get bigger grants than others, but those are reasonable estimates.

However, I'll always be grateful to the UK for my education. In the 1980s my undergraduate was completely FREE! and I got a 2000 pound government grant. PhD, completely FREE! and I got 4000 pounds a year. I left with 2000 pound in my bank account, no debt, and a BSc, PhD form one of the best science and engineering schools in the world.........Thanks Mr. Beveridge
Old Nov 13th 2008, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

I left with 10000 pound plus debts, received no grants, sponsors etc and a degree thats been completely devalued. Thanks Mr Blair.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 8:27 pm
Banned

englishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond repute

I left with 10000 pound plus debts, received no grants, sponsors etc and a degree thats been completely devalued. Thanks Mr Blair.
Oh well, maybe you'd be able to thank Mr Bush if you were an american moving the other direction?
From what I have been able to deduce, America certainly isn't the "land of milk and honey"for a lot of people either.
Like someone recently said in another thread, the grass is always greener.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

Yes sorry, that was said tongue in cheek. It really doesn't bother me.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 8:59 pm
Banned

Yes sorry, that was said tongue in cheek. It really doesn't bother me.
Or me either, I'm just glad I managed to clear my student loans up before it dragged on too much. I know a lot of people here that seem to have a lot of them outstanding. Apparently according to an article I read, even Barack Obama only recently managed to clear his from the sales of his book.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

Yes in all honestly I cant see me paying them off until i'm well into my forties. Or it'll be quashed after 25 years, whichever one comes first. I can seriously see though the Government changing the terms and conditions due to many people not paying their loans off within the 25 years especially as they increased the original interest rates tenfold.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 9:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Early retirement in US is a sorry thing. Dh now has two co workers who retired a few years back (at 55) and have both come back to work full time and it's killing them physically (they are slinging big rig tires) both came back for the health care benefits for the family, both have a sick wives (one with cancer) and it was too expensive to get them care without retuning to work for the excellent medical the teamsters provide.
This is exactly what kills the prospects of early retirement for many people:- they simply can't obtain reasonably priced health insurance at a time of their lives when they are likely to have an increased need for healthcare. Yet another reason why tieing health insurance to employment is a terrible idea.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 11:56 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
I was counting taxes a the cost of education and health care. I grew up in the UK and have lived in the US for 20 years and I'd generally agree that overall healthcare and access to education is better in the UK. But I've seen some worrying changes in the UK system like top up fees for students, so don't sit back and think the UK system is great, it's being nibbled away and we need to protect it.

The cost to raise a child and access to healthcare and education in the US is very dependent on what state you live in. I can only describe it for Massachusetts which is not your average US state as we have gay marriage and there's state subsidized mandatory health insurance.

Up to the age of 19 every child in MA who is not covered on their parents' health insurance is covered by the state at no cost to the child or it's parents. The cost paid for a family plan where I work is $2.5k/year and you pay $10 for every visit, there's also a 1.5% payroll tax for Medicare which goes towards retired people's health care.

Education is free in MA from age 5 to 18, every school district also has to offer state subsidized kindergarten, in some districts it's free some places charge upto $3k a year.

College education can be very expensive $40k per year for some private colleges, but most students don't actually pay that much as they get grants and cost reductions depending on their parents' income. For example Harvard announced it would pay as much as $120 million a year so that families earning up to $180,000 a year will have to spend only up to 10 percent of their annual incomes on tuition fees.

Students whose families earn less than $60,000 a year do not have to pay tuition to go to Harvard. Wellesley is doing something similar

The annual cost to send a kid to MA state university is $10k tuition and $8k room and board, but those costs are also offset by grants and low interest loans.
To get any of those state bennies though, you've got to be proper breadline dirt poor, or your stuffed and forget owning a house.

Average day care around here, part time 3 days a week is $1500 a month...

And those low tuition costs are just tuition, not cheap areas to live, even slumming it as a student.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.