It's been awhile since my last post, so I thought I'd provide an AOS update for
those dealing with the Chicago office. I arrived on a K1 in October last year,
filed for AOS in December and received my EAD card in early February. Early
this month (July) I had my fingerprints done. According to all the letters from
the INS so far, the waiting time from lodgement of AOS documents to interview
is 18 months. I was worried about not submitting the vaccination supplement
with the initial AOS application, but from what I've heard, it's a waste of
time doing that until a few months before interview, which is when I intend to
take care of that. Now we just need to wait!

I'm still looking for work and trying to get my resume run past as many
eyeballs as I can. In the first paragraph of my resume, I state that I
relocated to the US and that I am currently looking for work in the IT
industry. I also say that I'm authorized to work for any employer by the INS.
Would either of these things turn off a potential employer?
The relocation is obvious by looking at my work history, so I thought I'd
better make that explicit. Likewise the bit about being able to work, since I
figured a lot of places would ditch the resume otherwise and assume I was
trying to get sponsored.
My resume is fairly straightforward otherwise, taking up two pages with the
first being a summary of education and experience, and the second being a
full-page skills matrix (these seem to be pretty much standard for IT jobs).

I was wondering what opinions others have about resume structure and whether
those sentences at the beginning are necessary?

Cheers,
Andrew

Old Jul 30th 2003, 6:20 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Resume questions

Originally posted by Aknicolle
filed for AOS in December and received my EAD card in early February. Early
this month (July) I had my fingerprints done. According to all the letters from
the INS so far, the waiting time from lodgement of AOS documents to interview
is 18 months. I was worried about not submitting the vaccination supplement
with the initial AOS application, but from what I've heard, it's a waste of
time doing that until a few months before interview, which is when I intend to
take care of that. Now we just need to wait!

trying to get sponsored.

Cheers,
Andrew
Hi:

Potential employers are NOT allowed to inquire about citizenship or work authorization status while considering making an offer for employment. [No comments please that employers DO ask -- the speed limit on the interstate is also 70 miles per hour].

However, having done recruitment in connection with labor certificate applications, LOTS of resumes come through like yours. We have the emplolyer NOT ask about nationality but invite people for interview with a statement by the employer that they do comply with the Immigration Laws and will seek requisite documentation if an when a job offer is made. At that point, many of the applicants will then call and say "H-1??".

So, it might not be a bad idea for you note something quite short like: "Authorized to work by Immigration Authorities" or some such. Don't belabor the point.
Old Jul 30th 2003, 7:02 pm
jingling

jcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond reputejcapulet has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Andrew,

If you think you need to mention it to avoid anyone thinking you are looking for a sponsor, you could try some wording like this: "...I have recently relocated to [city,state] and am seeking a position as a ____ in the IT industry (I am authorized to work in the United States)."

Just an idea to try, in case it might help. Good luck with the job search!

Juliet
Old Jul 30th 2003, 8:08 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jcapulet
Hi Andrew,

If you think you need to mention it to avoid anyone thinking you are looking for a sponsor, you could try some wording like this: "...I have recently relocated to [city,state] and am seeking a position as a ____ in the IT industry (I am authorized to work in the United States)." ...
That's similar to what I said before I got my greencard. Although it went beyond what employers are entitled to ask (re marital status) I used wording something like "married to a US citizen and authorized to work in the US without restrictions" because even people not familiar with immigration and work visas can relate to the idea that the spouse of a USC is able to work in the US.
Old Jul 31st 2003, 12:56 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

<<snip>>

trying to get sponsored.

Cheers,
Andrew
You do not want to raise "red flags" in your resume that will be to your disadvantage. If I were you, I certainly would not mention you having relocated in the first paragraph of your resume.

What I did was to enter the period I was relocating (time from stopping work in the UK to the time I arrived in the US) in the body of my resume, within the Employment History section.

It is essential for potential employers to see no chronological gaps in your resume. This is why my relocation appears in the Employment History section.

I did not mention my work status or my eligbility to be employed in the US. During my search for work I never saw any job adverts in the US that did state: "eligible to work in the US" and/or "does not require a work permit". Thus, it was not necessary to describe anything about my eligibility.

I extensively researched how to prepare an American resume and I have a comment about how yours is currently laid out.

According to what I've read, if you're a new graduate and have little work experience, the resume would list education before employment history.

However, if you've been working for at least a few years, your employment history should appear before your education.

In my case, my education appeared at the very end of my resume, after professional education.

Have you shown your resume to your wife? Does anything stand out to her that identifies you as a non-native (other than references to the UK in where you've worked and your education)? If there is anything, you need to correct it so you can make an impact.

NC Penguin
Old Jul 31st 2003, 2:12 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by NC Penguin
...... I did not mention my work status or my eligbility to be employed in the US. During my search for work I never saw any job adverts in the US that did state: "eligible to work in the US" and/or "does not require a work permit". Thus, it was not necessary to describe anything about my eligibility. .....
On the other hand you found it difficult to find employment, perhaps this is connected with your above advice?
Old Jul 31st 2003, 2:25 am
Here we go Pittsburgh!

ukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond repute

filed for AOS in December and received my EAD card in early February.

-- snip ---

Cheers,
Andrew
My resume was a one-pager listing my experience in the IT industry, education and that references were available on request.

I take part in interviews for prospective employees, and would not be concerned with whether education or job experience was listed first. Just the contents mainly, and whether it was well laid out, proof read and honest (you'd be surprised how many fakers there are with really crap writing skills - I mean how hard is it to string a few words together and get someone to check them out?)

Sam.
Old Jul 31st 2003, 12:45 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pulaski
On the other hand you found it difficult to find employment, perhaps this is connected with your above advice?
I don't believe I found it any more difficult to find employment than others who do include a note about their employment eligibility.

I believe my search for employment took no longer than yours did (for your present job), for example.

NC Penguin
Old Jul 31st 2003, 1:14 pm
Dreaming of the bay

tbiller is an unknown quantity at this point

I extensively researched how to prepare an American resume and I have a comment about how yours is currently laid out.
Hi - can you spare five minutes to have a look at mine please - it's very "UK" as it stands and I'd be grateful for any advice on changes I should make before sending it out Stateside.

TIA - Tim

http://www.charlieb.demon.co.uk/docs/tim_biller_cv.htm
Old Jul 31st 2003, 2:42 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

Originally posted by tbiller
Hi - can you spare five minutes to have a look at mine please - it's very "UK" as it stands and I'd be grateful for any advice on changes I should make before sending it out Stateside.

TIA - Tim

I'll let you know the major source of where I learnt to write my CV into a US resme.

It's a very good book on resume writing called "The Resume Catalog: 200 Damn Good Examples" by Yana Parker.

She has her own site- http://www.damngood.com/

I can recommend the book highly.

I'm not a professional resume writer (although I have a background in HR) but if you want someone to critique your CV, I would first make an attempt to Americanize it yourself (language, content and format) then post onto one of the appropriate Monster messageboards (there are many to choose from). Please remember to omit personal information when you post there.

NC Penguin
Old Jul 31st 2003, 2:49 pm
Dreaming of the bay

I'll let you know the major source of where I learnt to write my CV into a US resme.

It's a very good book on resume writing called "The Resume Catalog: 200 Damn Good Examples" by Yana Parker.

She has her own site- http://www.damngood.com/

I can recommend the book highly.

I'm not a professional resume writer (although I have a background in HR) but if you want someone to critique your CV, I would first make an attempt to Americanize it yourself (language, content and format) then post onto one of the appropriate Monster messageboards (there are many to choose from). Please remember to omit personal information when you post there.

NC Penguin
Will do - thanks very much - I'll toddle over to Amazon and make some clicking noises.
Old Aug 1st 2003, 2:48 am
Here we go Pittsburgh!

ukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond reputeukemigrant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by tbiller

TIA - Tim

Here's mine with just name, address and contact info removed from top

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/samuelburns/Resume.html

Much smaller than yours. Personally, I'm looking at yours thinking 'waaayyy too much on there'. My 2c worth.

Sam.
Old Aug 1st 2003, 7:16 am
Dreaming of the bay

Originally posted by ukemigrant
Here's mine with just name, address and contact info removed from top

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/samuelburns/Resume.html

Much smaller than yours. Personally, I'm looking at yours thinking 'waaayyy too much on there'. My 2c worth.

Sam.
Yeah, IKWYM. I'll have a sift. Cheers,
Old Aug 1st 2003, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

mune is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.charlieb.demon.co.uk/docs/tim_biller_cv.htm [/QUOTE]

Impressive resume! Just a suggestion -- remove the section "Personal details" from CV and use this info in your cover letter. For employment history section -- make it easy to read -- use more white space, bullets, be concise. For example, instead of "I have designed" it's enough to say "designed." Don't use "most recently" or "primarily assigned". Add a section on your education -- degrees?

Good luck!
Old Aug 1st 2003, 11:18 pm
Dreaming of the bay

Originally posted by mune

Impressive resume! Just a suggestion -- remove the section "Personal details" from CV and use this info in your cover letter. For employment history section -- make it easy to read -- use more white space, bullets, be concise. For example, instead of "I have designed" it's enough to say "designed." Don't use "most recently" or "primarily assigned". Add a section on your education -- degrees?

Good luck!
Hi - thanks! I'll do some work on it over the weekend.

Cheers - Tim