Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Resume/CV question

Resume/CV question

Old Oct 20th 2009, 11:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

helwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond reputehelwardman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Resume/CV question

Originally Posted by Bob
not that your a world record hot dog eater.
What if the job you are applying for is "Senior Hot Dog Eater"?

Old Oct 21st 2009, 12:09 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helwardman
What if the job you are applying for is "Senior Hot Dog Eater"?

Dude, you totally stole my post.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 4:45 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by merz
Excellent replies everyone, and fantastic advice.

I am already working on my new US friendly masterpiece
I certainly didn't consider the page size difference, and the fact it would be viewed electronically and needs to look good when opened.

Thanks again, and any more tips are very welcome!

Merz

And be prepared to lose all of that wonderful formatting, when the job you are applying to requires you to build your résumé on line by filling in text boxes.
Old Oct 21st 2009, 12:10 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
And be prepared to lose all of that wonderful formatting, when the job you are applying to requires you to build your résumé on line by filling in text boxes.
Which will refuse to accept UK phone numbers, post codes etc...
Old Oct 22nd 2009, 1:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trixie_b
Just as importantly as spell checking, make sure that you have a nice looking resume when it's opened electronically.

If you're emailing your resume, and have listed yourself as having good or excellent computer skills, aligning your text with spaces does not cut it. Get your tab settings sorted out. If you can't manage that, build your resume in tables to get the allignment set up properly.

Many companies are viewing resumes electronically and even though they may print out beautifully, if they're not visually stunning on the screen too, you wont make the final cut.
Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Don't underestimate the value of a formatted resume. Over the past decade or so, with the advent of electronic submission and searching of resumes, there's been a definite shift away from formatted documents and towards plain-text, keyword-laden documents that are more compatible with search engines. But reading unformatted docs is a drag ... I was recruiting for an IT guy last year and got a ton of resumes forwarded to me from our screening folks. After a while, reading plain-text resume after plain-text resume, I was going bonkers. I found it far easier to read 'formatted' resumes. So now I'm recruiting again, and this time, it's a requirement to include a formatted version or it won't get considered!

Last time I was on the hunt for a job, I created one resume in 'word', all nice and formatted; I then generated a 'pdf' version, and a plain-text version. I manually 'tweaked' the plain text version to make more use of upper-case, underline, spacing, etc to try to make it have some visual appeal.

Oh, and don't bother with 'clean drivers license' ... something seen on many a UK CV!