Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Restrictions on Dog Breeds CA

Restrictions on Dog Breeds CA

Old Jan 9th 2012, 3:04 pm
Just Joined

Bev Sloan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Restrictions on Dog Breeds CA

Just wanted to check if there any restrictions on dog breeds in CA. Moving to the Bay area in a few months and want to being our 9 year old Staffordshire bull terrier and have heard that there are often breed restrictions in some states.
Would this also cause an issue with renting? We know it will restrict the properties have seen some on craigslists but all say pets on home owners approval and now worried about the breed issue.
Old Jan 9th 2012, 3:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Restrictions on Dog Breeds CA

Originally Posted by Bev Sloan
Just wanted to check if there any restrictions on dog breeds in CA. Moving to the Bay area in a few months and want to being our 9 year old Staffordshire bull terrier and have heard that there are often breed restrictions in some states.
Would this also cause an issue with renting? We know it will restrict the properties have seen some on craigslists but all say pets on home owners approval and now worried about the breed issue.
I don't believe there is any state laws but there may possibly be a city ordinance in an occasional city that has restrictions. In the US, it is the American pit bull that has gotten itself a bad reputation. During the last decade, there was a big case against a couple that owned an American pit bull in San Francisco that killed a woman and each was sentenced to a long prison term.

http://dogbitelaw.com/diane-whipple/...pple-case.html

Then of course, there are always stories such as the following.

http://www.sonomapets.com/?p=1853
Old Jan 12th 2012, 8:21 pm
Just Joined

aonian is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Michael
During the last decade, there was a big case against a couple that owned an American pit bull in San Francisco that killed a woman and each was sentenced to a long prison term.

http://www.sonomapets.com/?p=1853
That is incorrect. My father was the stenographer for that trial and the dogs involved were Presa Canarios, NOT pit bulls. These are very different breeds. I don't mean to come on strong, but one of the reasons there is such fear of these dogs is that people (and the media) automatically label any large dog involved in an attack as a pit bull.

To answer the original question: California currently has a law that prevents cities from enacting breed-specific bans, but it does allow cities to enact breed-specific mandatory spay/neuter laws. San Francisco is the only Bay Area city to do this so far, and Staffordshires are required to be spayed/neutered to live there.

That said, many landlords and building communities have policies against certain breeds, so you will probably have to look hard to find an appropriate place. Be prepared to pay a little more as well.

Also, check with the airlines about transporting your dog. Many airlines have regulations against brachycephalic dogs, which include Staffies.

And one last thing: Welcome to the Bay Area! It's a lovely place and I think you'll enjoy your stay here, however long it is.

Lauren
Old Jan 15th 2012, 4:53 am
Just Joined

jackietanner is just really nicejackietanner is just really nicejackietanner is just really nicejackietanner is just really nicejackietanner is just really nicejackietanner is just really nicejackietanner is just really nicejackietanner is just really nicejackietanner is just really nicejackietanner is just really nicejackietanner is just really nice

Yeah there's no laws against staffordshire terriers here, there aren't that many actually. But if you're renting an apartment be sure to let the landlord/manager know up front about the dog because a lot of insurance companies won't cover certain breeds... I found this out when I was moving to LA with my rottweiler, had a bit of trouble finding an apartment at first.