Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Response to me saying universal healthcare is inevitable in the US

Wikiposts

Response to me saying universal healthcare is inevitable in the US

Old Feb 29th 2008, 1:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Response to me saying universal healthcare is inevitable in the US

Originally Posted by jumping doris
Well I have read somewhere (could have been on here) that if a hospital, Dr's office here see that you are well insured they may decide to make a bit of a profit out of you to offset the people who default on their payments.
I used the word medicating wrongly...I meant it to cover all treatment not always drugs. However don't Dr's get big payouts from drug companies?
I know of one Dr. here who has had several lovely holidays paid for by a drug company.(and his family paid for too.)
I know that it happens elsewhere but it seems to be on a bigger scale here.
We have the dental thread going which seem to be suggesting that some dentists are buying their next Porche buy doing unneccessary work and over charging.
I don't know about this "make a bit more profit" thing. I have honestly never heard of it, or heard anyone complain about it, other than on here.

Doctor's offices I've seen tend to be full - so why not just see the next patient, rather than do something unnecessary? And most treatments have some level of risk (even if minor) so why would doctors risk getting sued over it? I can't claim to have seen everything - but I just have never heard of it. Nor any scandal over it.

From a quick hunt, it appears that drug companies pay for a lot of doctors continuing ecucation. And also give gifts, pizza - like the average salesman. I cannot find anything anywhere where a doctor is rewarded per perscription - maybe it's out there, but I can't find it.

I honestly am astonished by the dental thing too - I've just never known anyone who had such problems. Granted, I am just one person, but I've lived here my entire life and never of such. How so many people on this board have so many problems (presuming the dentists are actually wrong) just amazes me - I don't know what to say. I certainly know an equal number of yanks, or more, and have never heard similar experiences at all.

So... I dunno I guess.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 1:48 am
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
I don't know about this "make a bit more profit" thing. I have honestly never heard of it, or heard anyone complain about it, other than on here.

Did you read my other post about the huge mark up on a medical item?
Old Feb 29th 2008, 1:48 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

It wasn't a Daily Mail porsche story. I can't afford the overseas subscription to the Mail so I now read the News of the World.
I was talking about Drs and dentists here.

I gave an example about a Dr here who I know and here's another one......
a company that supplies a medical item which costs them $2000 to buy but the hospital bill the insurance company $11500. Where is the profit going?
And what about the patient who has the 10% copay on the $11,500 instead of a more reasonable amount.
In fact this patient cannot afford the copay and so cannot have the "thing" and the hospital will not budge. This man will now have to spend time wheelchair bound until he can afford it, if he ever can. Now he can't work.
The same hospital who will not help have just been patting themselves on the back because they have sent a team of Dr's to some remote part of the world to work for free. All very noble but I think they should help the man here first.
And you are the same person who was bragging that your OH went into hospital in England had had wine, roses, gourmet meals, back rubs, and personal e-mail?
Old Feb 29th 2008, 1:49 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

From a quick hunt, it appears that drug companies pay for a lot of doctors continuing ecucation. And also give gifts, pizza - like the average salesman. I cannot find anything anywhere where a doctor is rewarded per perscription - maybe it's out there, but I can't find it.
Took me 10 seconds with a Google. Of course, it's a highly suspect newspaper:
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...55C0A9629C8B63
Old Feb 29th 2008, 1:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Did you read my other post about the huge mark up on a medical item?
Yes, doing three things at once here.

Do you have the information on that? What company - what device - the bills?

I have no idea really - could it have included the price of installing the device on the person or something?

What the actual profit anyone made, I dunno. Obviously if someone is charging 6 times what they paid for something, without some significant costs involved, the purchaser isn't doing a good job.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 1:53 am
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Doctor's offices I've seen tend to be full - so why not just see the next patient, rather than do something unnecessary? And most treatments have some level of risk (even if minor) so why would doctors risk getting sued over it? I can't claim to have seen everything - but I just have never heard of it. Nor any scandal over it.

I honestly am astonished by the dental thing too - I've just never known anyone who had such problems. Granted, I am just one person, but I've lived here my entire life and never of such. How so many people on this board have so many problems (presuming the dentists are actually wrong) just amazes me - I don't know what to say. I certainly know an equal number of yanks, or more, and have never heard similar experiences at all.

So... I dunno I guess.
I went to the dentist yesterday....got a nice cleaning. Dentist came in and checked me out.....everything in great condition.....I left without even having to pay my copay. (DH and I both have free dental from our employers but that darn dentist just will not suggest any additional procedures that I might or might not need.)

I went to the doc last Friday and the same thing happened.....I was in and out in 15 min with no hope of returning for unneccessary procedures. I did have a $15 copay and had to pay $4 for my generic prescription (courtesy of Kroger.....I hear Walmart has the same deal.)
Old Feb 29th 2008, 1:57 am
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
And you are the same person who was bragging that your OH went into hospital in England had had wine, roses, gourmet meals, back rubs, and personal e-mail?
I don't think that was me but, hey, it might have been but bragging.....no.
I'm sure that you'll now spend a few minutes searching out the post.

I may have mentioned that my OH had the option of paying for private healthcare as part of his package but he still had to pay Nat. Ins.
He did choose to have some BUPA treatment and the hospital was lovely.
The total bill was still less than here.
My mother also had some BUPA treatment because the NHS couldn't provide it quickly enough......yes the NHS failed, that should make you happy.
Her BUPA treatment was again, lovely but it was still cheaper than here.

I would also like to point out that I am not attacking anyone personally. I'm having a go at at system.
For some reason yet again you have decided to make this personal.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 1:59 am
Who?

Yes, doing three things at once here.

Do you have the information on that? What company - what device - the bills?

I have no idea really - could it have included the price of installing the device on the person or something?

What the actual profit anyone made, I dunno. Obviously if someone is charging 6 times what they paid for something, without some significant costs involved, the purchaser isn't doing a good job.
I do have all the information because it is a patient my husband has worked with so I cannot give the details. It is not an isolated incident either.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 2:00 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

It wasn't a Daily Mail porsche story. I can't afford the overseas subscription to the Mail so I now read the News of the World.
I was talking about Drs and dentists here.

I gave an example about a Dr here who I know and here's another one......
a company that supplies a medical item which costs them $2000 to buy but the hospital bill the insurance company $11500. Where is the profit going?
And what about the patient who has the 10% copay on the $11,500 instead of a more reasonable amount.
In fact this patient cannot afford the copay and so cannot have the "thing" and the hospital will not budge. This man will now have to spend time wheelchair bound until he can afford it, if he ever can. Now he can't work.
The same hospital who will not help have just been patting themselves on the back because they have sent a team of Dr's to some remote part of the world to work for free. All very noble but I think they should help the man here first.
My mum was declared legally blind during the time she was waiting for intraocular lens implants in the UK. She couldn't ride the bus into town, or watch TV. She had to listen to books on tape. Only about 1-1/2 years wait. Got her sight back after the op. What a waste of time in between though.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 2:00 am
Who?

Originally Posted by Mallory
You know, when I think about it...what has that got to do with anything, anyway. It's not what we are talking about.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 2:04 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tamms_1965
I went to the dentist yesterday....got a nice cleaning. Dentist came in and checked me out.....everything in great condition.....I left without even having to pay my copay. (DH and I both have free dental from our employers but that darn dentist just will not suggest any additional procedures that I might or might not need.)

I went to the doc last Friday and the same thing happened.....I was in and out in 15 min with no hope of returning for unneccessary procedures. I did have a $15 copay and had to pay $4 for my generic prescription (courtesy of Kroger.....I hear Walmart has the same deal.)
So....nothing to worry about there, eh?
Old Feb 29th 2008, 2:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I do have all the information because it is a patient my husband has worked with so I cannot give the details. It is not an isolated incident either.
Fair enough - of course you can't.

I'm sure you appreciate it's hard to comment without knowing the details - but I will certainly say, if someone is paying an amount where the seller is making 500% profit, that is pretty piss-poor purchasing.

Except... I just read back - who is getting the profit? The company selling the device, or the hospital? I wasn't sure what the hospital paid for it (perhaps it's too early here, and I haven't had enough coffee yet).

Obviously, everyone needs to make some profit, or they wouldn't stay in business. But not normally that kind of percentage.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 3:02 am
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Fair enough - of course you can't.

I'm sure you appreciate it's hard to comment without knowing the details - but I will certainly say, if someone is paying an amount where the seller is making 500% profit, that is pretty piss-poor purchasing.

Except... I just read back - who is getting the profit? The company selling the device, or the hospital? I wasn't sure what the hospital paid for it (perhaps it's too early here, and I haven't had enough coffee yet).

Obviously, everyone needs to make some profit, or they wouldn't stay in business. But not normally that kind of percentage.

My ex works for a major hospital group....hospitals do not make that kind of profit off of devices. Much of their profit comes from services like x-ray reading (of which they farm out non-emergency readings to doctors in India via the internet! for a fraction of the cost that an American doctor would charge.)
Old Feb 29th 2008, 3:07 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

a GP appointment and a tooth cleaning are not at all urgent. Why does it matter if one waits? It has no impact on your care. I schedule my cleaning at the dentist when I get one done - six months ahead.
Now you're trying to have it both ways. Previously, you offered this complaint about wait times in nationalized systems: "Basic, emergency care - i.e. beds, is not generally a problem is socialized systems, at least not as far as I know. Waiting for non-emergency care can be."

Well, there you go. Here in the US, this is how long I have to wait for my non-emergency care. The situation appears to be no better for me, who pays monthly premiums for my insurance and full retail for dental, than it would be under a single-payer plan.

So once again, the argument that Americans don't have to wait as long as their oppressed foreign brethren doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

As far as these other claims, I don't see any real data there about people waiting a long time for things that would impact their health. Perhaps there is some, but I don't see it there.
At this point, I'm becoming convinced that you don't want to see it. It doesn't seem that any amount of quantitative data will get you to see anything that might force you to change your opinion.

Perhaps this Business Week article will help you. They also cite a study by UC San Francisco that reaches similar conclusions to what were found in the Commonwealth study:

There is no systemized, nationwide collection of data on wait times in the U.S., making it difficult to compare delays to those in countries with national health systems, who typically track and publish data on wait times. But a 2005 survey conducted by the Commonwealth Fund of sicker adults in six highly industrialized countries found that only Canada was worse than the U.S. when it came to waiting six days or longer to schedule a doctor's appointment for a medical problem.

Of the countries surveyed, 81% of patients in New Zealand got a same or next-day appointment for a nonroutine visit, 71% in Britain, 69% in Germany, 66% in Australia, 47% in the U.S., and 36% in Canada. Those lengthy wait times in the U.S. explain why 26% of Americans reported going to an emergency room for a condition that could have been treated by a regular doctor if available, higher than every other country surveyed...

...In the UCSF study published last year, the researchers set out to determine how long it would take to get an appointment in 12 cities to examine a face mole that had changed color, a common warning sign of skin cancer. They found a range of mean wait times according to geography, from 20 days in Little Rock to 73 days in Boston. The researchers pointed out that the wait in rural areas, where dermatologists are scarcer, are likely much longer.

http://www.businessweek.com/print/te...621_716260.htm

Last edited by RoadWarriorFromLP; Feb 29th 2008 at 3:09 am.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 3:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
Now you're trying to have it both ways. Previously, you offered this complaint about wait times in nationalized systems: "Basic, emergency care - i.e. beds, is not generally a problem is socialized systems, at least not as far as I know. Waiting for non-emergency care can be."

Well, there you go. Here in the US, this is how long I have to wait for my non-emergency care. The situation appears to be no better for me, who pays monthly premiums for my insurance and full retail for dental, than it would be under a single-payer plan.

So once again, the argument that Americans don't have to wait as long as their oppressed foreign brethren doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

At this point, I'm becoming convinced that you don't want to see it. It doesn't seem that any amount of quantitative data will get you to see anything that might force you to change your opinion.

Perhaps this Business Week article will help you. They also cite a study by UC San Francisco that reaches similar conclusions to what were found in the Commonwealth study:

There is no systemized, nationwide collection of data on wait times in the U.S., making it difficult to compare delays to those in countries with national health systems, who typically track and publish data on wait times. But a 2005 survey conducted by the Commonwealth Fund of sicker adults in six highly industrialized countries found that only Canada was worse than the U.S. when it came to waiting six days or longer to schedule a doctor's appointment for a medical problem.

Of the countries surveyed, 81% of patients in New Zealand got a same or next-day appointment for a nonroutine visit, 71% in Britain, 69% in Germany, 66% in Australia, 47% in the U.S., and 36% in Canada. Those lengthy wait times in the U.S. explain why 26% of Americans reported going to an emergency room for a condition that could have been treated by a regular doctor if available, higher than every other country surveyed...

...In the UCSF study published last year, the researchers set out to determine how long it would take to get an appointment in 12 cities to examine a face mole that had changed color, a common warning sign of skin cancer. They found a range of mean wait times according to geography, from 20 days in Little Rock to 73 days in Boston. The researchers pointed out that the wait in rural areas, where dermatologists are scarcer, are likely much longer.

http://www.businessweek.com/print/te...621_716260.htm
I will clarify.

Emergency care = life-threatening or urgent, needs to be seen today
Routine = checkup, etc. - months of wait make no difference
Other = specialist, surgery, elective - doesn't need to be seen today, but long wait can cause suffering or be life-threatening.

I could care less how long the waits are for routine care. In either country. It doesn't matter - plan ahead for heaven's sake.

Emergency care - in the US or the other systems, in general, people get can treated right away.

It's the other stuff that seems to (at least at times) have problems in the socialized systems.

Rural America - it is spread out. If you're not willing/can't travel to a larger area, I guess it might take longer.

Re. the mole - my friends had one in the Chicago area - had them off the next week. One of my future family members had one in the UK - waited over 3 months, it has spread, and he will die. Someone else in the family had one in the UK - waited 4 months - thankfully is ok.

Keith just mentioned - in the US he saw the asthma specialist the next week in Michigan (they actually offered the next day). Back in the UK with asthma flare-ups, he waited 6 weeks (visiting casualty in the meantime).

Yes that's a couple examples, but...

Maybe somehow some sort of averages were different, but these are the kinds of things we are afraid of with socialized medicine. And no, I will never believe it doesn't happen, because I've seen it myself. Repeatedly.

Not saying our system is perfect or that it doesn't need changes, but nothing in all of this discussion has convinced me that socialized medicine is a good idea here in the US.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.