Reload this Page >

Resident Alien absence

Resident Alien absence

Old Nov 5th 2006, 5:20 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Resident Alien absence

Hmm

How was he entitled to UK Medical Cover.

Another lie?

Last edited by scrubbedexpat099; Nov 5th 2006 at 5:26 am.
Old Nov 5th 2006, 5:23 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Boiler
Hmm

How as he entitled to UK Medical Cover.

Another lie?
everyone considers themselves entitled to UK Medical Cover
Old Nov 5th 2006, 3:33 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally
everyone considers themselves entitled to UK Medical Cover
To be honest, although I am not legally entitled to UK medical cover, I certainly consider myself entitled to healthcare if I am in the UK and get ill/incapacitated whilst there.

I expect some return (rightly or wrongly) for the thousands of pounds NI and income tax I have paid.

Maybe they should operate a 'credits' scheme where people who have paid in enough are entitled to healthcare regardless of residence?

In my adult life in the UK, the only time I was without work was a 2 week period when I deciced that signing on for 40 quid a week was not worth my time to go to the dole office
Old Nov 5th 2006, 4:44 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
To be honest, although I am not legally entitled to UK medical cover, I certainly consider myself entitled to healthcare if I am in the UK and get ill/incapacitated whilst there.

I expect some return (rightly or wrongly) for the thousands of pounds NI and income tax I have paid.

Maybe they should operate a 'credits' scheme where people who have paid in enough are entitled to healthcare regardless of residence?

In my adult life in the UK, the only time I was without work was a 2 week period when I deciced that signing on for 40 quid a week was not worth my time to go to the dole office
I would agree.

The OP seems to want to live in the US, but commute for medical treatment.

I am sure many do, but it is probably pushing it.

Maintaining US residency as well may be another issue.

I wonder how you would go about explaining to the NHS your need to substantiate your medical condition to obrain a re-entry permit as you are US Resident?
Old Nov 5th 2006, 4:53 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

It's a good deal isn't it?
Old Nov 5th 2006, 5:03 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

And remember the questions the POE ask you are the ones they already know the correct answer to ...
Old Nov 5th 2006, 5:06 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neutron
They won't have a record of when I left and there's nothing new about manifest info being sent, it's just being sent earlier. Usual practice is for immigration to ASK "how long have you been out" and it's quite common for some people who have overstayed their entitlemnet to be slightly economical with the truth. I've been back in the UK for 15 months for medical reasons - retired and unable to afford US insurance rates - and would like to return.
Helpul advice would be greatly appreciated.
It's the ole catch 22: if you lie at the border (economical with the truth etc), the penalties are much worse than the would be for the original problem.
They ask: you tell. That's how they know.

There is a critter called a 'returning resident's visa' (SR-1?). I dont' know anything about it, but you might do some research.

What will you do if they bounce you at the border, under your plan?
Old Nov 5th 2006, 5:11 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

The NHS does not work on that basis. However if you MOVE back to the UK you are immediately eligible to use it.
Old Nov 5th 2006, 5:12 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
They ask: you tell. That's how they know.
There is a critter called a 'returning resident's visa' (SR-1?). I dont' know anything about it, but you might do some research.
?
Or an SB-1 even ....
Old Nov 5th 2006, 5:22 pm
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by JAJ
The NHS does not work on that basis. However if you MOVE back to the UK you are immediately eligible to use it.
Yer, its the "Ordinarily Resident" thing.

Hate to get all the way over there and hear that you didn't qualify for that status. Nasty shock, that would be. But, then, never tried it. Yet.
Old Nov 5th 2006, 5:39 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Or an SB-1 even ....
heh, yeah, that thing. Like FB already posted about...

Coffee?!
Old Nov 5th 2006, 9:30 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
heh, yeah, that thing. Like FB already posted about...
errr....
Old Nov 5th 2006, 10:11 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gardnma
Yer, its the "Ordinarily Resident" thing.
If you move to the UK, you become ordinarily resident immediately. But if you visit the UK, you don't.
Old Nov 6th 2006, 12:19 am
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by JAJ
If you move to the UK, you become ordinarily resident immediately. But if you visit the UK, you don't.
I have tried to get the lee of the land on this. One day I may very well need the information. My understanding is: it is very much up to the discretion of the immigration official as to wether or not you receive that status; all depending upon what proof you can show that you intend to remain permanently.

Does this make sense with what you know?

Ta.
Old Nov 6th 2006, 4:28 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by gardnma
I have tried to get the lee of the land on this. One day I may very well need the information. My understanding is: it is very much up to the discretion of the immigration official as to wether or not you receive that status; all depending upon what proof you can show that you intend to remain permanently.

Does this make sense with what you know?

Ta.
Not really.

If the PoE doubt that you have retained your status, you are entitled to a hearing in front of an Immigration Judge.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.