Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Required Info on Alexandria VA

Required Info on Alexandria VA

Old Apr 22nd 2011, 12:53 pm
Forum Regular

monksb is just really nicemonksb is just really nicemonksb is just really nicemonksb is just really nicemonksb is just really nicemonksb is just really nicemonksb is just really nicemonksb is just really nice
Default Required Info on Alexandria VA

Just booked flights and hotel to watch Man United play Barcelona in DC and was wondering if anyone has any recomendations of good places to eat in Alexandria, our hotel is the Sheraton Suites in Old Town. Also, I am not thinking of renting a car, so any info on metro transit would be appreciated.
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 2:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Required Info on Alexandria VA

Don't know about Alexandria restaurants (try TripAdvisor.com) but I can help you with Metro transit to FedEx Field.

http://www.wmata.com/rail/docs/colormap_lettersize.pdf

Take the blue line from Alexandria (Braddock Rd station) to Morgan Blvd and walk (about 1 mile) to the FedEx Field stadium (which is actually outside DC - in suburban Maryland). You can take the blue line direct - or you can take the yellow line to L'Enfant Plaza and switch to the blue line for Morgan Blvd. Probably six of one, half a dozen of the other.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Apr 22nd 2011 at 2:15 pm.
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

SEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to behold

There are a million restaurants in Old Town. Can you narrow down what kind of thing you like? Price range?

That hotel is well located for the Metro - it's a 5 or 10 minute walk to Braddock Rd, straight down Wythe St.
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 3:05 pm
Forum Regular

monksb is just really nicemonksb is just really nicemonksb is just really nicemonksb is just really nicemonksb is just really nicemonksb is just really nicemonksb is just really nicemonksb is just really nice

Originally Posted by SEL_boy
There are a million restaurants in Old Town. Can you narrow down what kind of thing you like? Price range?

That hotel is well located for the Metro - it's a 5 or 10 minute walk to Braddock Rd, straight down Wythe St.
This will be a first time visit so we are looking for something a bit different. We live in a medium sized city in Wisconsin (La Crosse) which has great food but not a lot of variety.
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 3:45 pm
Forum Regular

SEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to beholdSEL_boy is a splendid one to behold

These are some pretty reliable choices

http://eamonnsdublinchipper.com/
http://www.majesticcafe.com/
http://www.buzzonslaters.com/
http://www.extraperkscoffeeshopandcafe.com/
http://www.restauranteve.com/
http://www.austingrill.com/?/austin_...own_alexandria
http://kingstreetblues.com/
http://www.korarestaurant.com/ct/index.html
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 5:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

ottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond reputeottotheboar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by monksb
Just booked flights and hotel to watch Man United play Barcelona in DC and was wondering if anyone has any recomendations of good places to eat in Alexandria, our hotel is the Sheraton Suites in Old Town. Also, I am not thinking of renting a car, so any info on metro transit would be appreciated.
Do you have the tickets ? the website says available soon
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ottotheboar
Just looked now and some ticket broker has them on at $96 for the cheapest seats, dont know yet what the stadium is charging. FeEd field holds 92,000 so I would be supprised if it was a sell out. Will do some checking around and repost.
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 10:00 pm
Forum Regular

Just looked now and some ticket broker has them on at $96 for the cheapest seats, dont know yet what the stadium is charging. FeEd field holds 92,000 so I would be supprised if it was a sell out. Will do some checking around and repost.
Ha a look around, and too be honest I did not think they would be on sale so soon. Bought two tickets through Stub Hub at twice the face value (originally $60 each). Its a rip off, I know, but after paying for the airline tickets and hotel, I did not want to risk not getting match tickets. The tickets for the game at Chicago, which I also hope to go too, are not on open sale yet. The Chicago Fire are selling them in conjunction with season tickets. It will be interesting to see how full the Washington game will be, I have not been to a United game that has sold out here yet, so we will have to see.
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 10:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, it'll be sold out all right. Soccer is HUGE in the DC area and tickets are going fast. I'll be there with my son!
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 10:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ottotheboar
They went on sale at TicketMaster on Thursday morning (Apr 21). The cheapest seats were sold out fast.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Apr 23rd 2011 at 10:10 pm.
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 11:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
They went on sale at TicketMaster on Thursday morning (Apr 21). The cheapest seats were sold out fast.
The things we do to watch the reds.
Old Apr 23rd 2011, 11:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

The things we do to watch the reds.
It's not often we get to see United play here - especially against a team like the current Barca team. I'm not a big fan of pre-season friendlies but this one was too good to pass up as it's right on my doorstep. I've only been to one other United game over here and that was the 4-1 win against Juventus at Giants Stadium in 2003 - I still remember RVN's incredible goal and Forlan's incredible miss (links below). Hopefully the Barca game will be as good as that one and we'll get to see the best players - especially as the fans are forking out big money to see this game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVPKSP68ahE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_A6QHdWcXg

Last edited by MarylandNed; Apr 23rd 2011 at 11:53 pm.
Old Apr 24th 2011, 12:32 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
It's not often we get to see United play here - especially against a team like the current Barca team. I'm not a big fan of pre-season friendlies but this one was too good to pass up as it's right on my doorstep. I've only been to one other United game over here and that was the 4-1 win against Juventus at Giants Stadium in 2003 - I still remember RVN's incredible goal and Forlan's incredible miss (links below). Hopefully the Barca game will be as good as that one and we'll get to see the best players - especially as the fans are forking out big money to see this game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVPKSP68ahE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_A6QHdWcXg
I have seen three, at Giants Stadium V AC Milan, at Chicago V Bayern, both in 04 and against the KC Wizards last year. Unfortunatly I have yet to see them win. I heard a radio show once that proposed an actual league fixture between United and Liverpool played over here, say at Michigan State or Ohio State. Both teams being American owned you think it would be possible and the money it would bring in would be astronomical. Having said that, I dont think the FA and the Prem league are as forward thinking as the NFL or NBA.