Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Request from bank for W-8BEN

Request from bank for W-8BEN

Old Oct 12th 2017, 3:05 pm
Forum Regular

Brandy07 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Request from bank for W-8BEN

We opened up a joint bank account over here before we moved so the account was set up prior to moving. I’ve received a letter from the bank saying that the W-8BEN form I submitted on application isn’t valid (I don’t actually remember completing this form but there was a lot of forms to fill in!).
Anyway, they say I need to provide a new W-8BEN but I’m not sure that this is applicable to me? I’m here on an L2 visa and we’re here for 2 years. The W-8BEN form looks as though it’s for someone not residing in the US? It looks like I need to complete W-9? But I don’t have a TIN? I don’t have a SSN either (long story as to why I can’t apply for this yet).
The letter says if I don’t take any action then they reserve the right to apply the required withholding to our account - I’m assuming this means taxing the interest? They’ve already taxed the interest so I’m a little confused about what I need to do. Can anyone help?
Old Oct 12th 2017, 5:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Request from bank for W-8BEN

Yes you need to submit a W-9. Tell them you're in the process of getting a SSN and will update when you get it. They can add another unique identifier to the account for now but yes they will withhold if they don't receive the required doc.
The W-8-BENs were reissued this year with more data fields but as you say that is not relevant to you now that you are in the US.
Old Oct 14th 2017, 12:32 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

You can't get a ssn for L2 until you have work authorisation -EAD.

You need an individual tax identification number ITIN which you apply for using the Form W-7 You can only do this once you have a federal income tax return to attach to it. Depending on how long you have been in the USA, you may not have done that yet.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/inte...on-numbers-tin

Thw W-9 requires a social security number or business tax id on it for the bank to report any interest payments made to you to the IRS. Without the number it is pretty useless.

Either tell the bank that it is in process or get an account that is not interest bearing so that it's not an issue.
Old Oct 14th 2017, 12:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
You can't get a ssn for L2 until you have work authorisation -EAD.
Has that changed? Admittedly, it was a few years ago (2008), but when I was in the US on an L2 visa, I had my SSN long before my EAD.

We had to get an ITIN for my son, but I never had one.
Old Oct 14th 2017, 12:42 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebs
Has that changed? Admittedly, it was a few years ago (2008), but when I was in the US on an L2 visa, I had my SSN long before my EAD.

We had to get an ITIN for my son, but I never had one.
Yes. I also got a SSN straight away 4 years ago but now they will only issue them if you are allowed to work with the visa you've got. Their argument being that it is the only reason you MUST have a social security number for.
Old Oct 16th 2017, 1:34 am
Forum Regular

Brandy07 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for the responses. We moved here mid August this year.