Reload this Page >

Reporting UK Pension Income

Wikiposts

Reporting UK Pension Income

Old Dec 11th 2021, 1:16 am
Just Joined

5brham is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Reporting UK Pension Income

Hi! First time on this website, so forgive me if this has been asked before… I receive two pensions from the UK - partial “old age pension” and a small one from teaching there. No tax is taken by UK, and I know the income is taxable here. But - how do I report it to the IRS? Neither the UK government nor the teachers’ pension scheme give anything I can use. Confused!!
Old Dec 11th 2021, 2:05 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reporting UK Pension Income

You make a note of how much you receive and report it on your US tax return as "other income" -- used to be line 21, but I'm looking at an older return as I can't put my finger on last year's, and I believe the line number may have changed! Describe the income as "UK pension."
Old Dec 11th 2021, 2:55 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

I report my UK pensions as if I had received a 1099-R, have done for almost 15 years, and having returned to the UK this is also how my UK/US tax accountant reports them. If you are using TurboTax or similar it will ask if you received a 1099-R and if you say no it generates a substitute 1099-R where you can explain why the company does not produce one. (IRS form 4852)

https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-form-4852

However, I’m sure if you use “other” as described then that will be fine, the tax is the same either way.
Old Dec 11th 2021, 3:40 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by durham_lad
I report my UK pensions as if I had received a 1099-R, have done for almost 15 years, and having returned to the UK this is also how my UK/US tax accountant reports them. If you are using TurboTax or similar it will ask if you received a 1099-R and if you say no it generates a substitute 1099-R where you can explain why the company does not produce one. (IRS form 4852)

https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-form-4852

However, I’m sure if you use “other” as described then that will be fine, the tax is the same either way.
I was trying to find the thread where we discussed this previously; it was generally agreed that it isn't necessary to generate the 1099-R -- I've never done so in 20 years, just reported my receipts as evidenced by the transfers into my bank account.
Old Dec 11th 2021, 3:59 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
I was trying to find the thread where we discussed this previously; it was generally agreed that it isn't necessary to generate the 1099-R -- I've never done so in 20 years, just reported my receipts as evidenced by the transfers into my bank account.
I agree

The first time I did it I just followed the TurboTax step by step guide and after that it became a matter of course, plus they show up on line 5 under pensions, which is what they are. I have 2 UK private pensions so summarizing them under Other makes it difficult to add much in the way of details, which a pedantic person like myself prefers.
Old Dec 11th 2021, 7:53 am
Just Joined

5brham is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks to all. This definitely puts my mind at ease!