Reload this Page >

A potential move - Princeton NJ

A potential move - Princeton NJ

Old Dec 1st 2021, 9:06 pm
Just Joined

Brackers is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A potential move - Princeton NJ

Hi all.

Hope you're all well. I've been extremely fortunate to be offered a role at my company in Princeton NJ.

We've never been to the area before, so just trying to see if there is any links or even people on here who are from the area who can recommend potential commuting towns outside of the East of the city.

going through the minefield of options and things we need to know/do..so thanks for the links on the home thread. Will be reading that before I have to make a decision next week.

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

James
Old Dec 2nd 2021, 10:51 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A potential move - Princeton NJ

First question we will all ask is... what visa?

L1?

Would your spouse want to work? Children? If so, what age? What is important to you, a shorter commute, nice area, schools etc?

What sort of budget are you looking at for housing?

More information you can give, the more those of us in the area can help
Old Dec 2nd 2021, 11:21 am
Just Joined

Brackers is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi. Should of read other threads to realise you need that info so thanks for asking.

I've been offered a L1 visa. My partner (who will become my wife as part of the move) would get an L2 (hopefully getting these right). Which is for 3 years then we are reviewed at the end of that to see what we can do after.

It will just be the 2 of us moving, so no kids needing good schools right now. But maybe a future potentially good area for kids in the near distant would be good if we do end up becoming permanent.

Important to us is a safe community...commuting up to 45 minutes would be a preferred limit (but we're used to doing 90 minutes to London currently so no drama if longer).

Budget...hard to say as I understand what will be left per month after all the costs are taken from the wage etc... we're most likely going to rent first and keep our house in the UK and let that out (just in case the dream falls flat on us) but be looking around $1500 a month maybe.

We're just after the real America...so nothing fancy but just a great community spirit (parades, gatherings etc) and local amenities to experience .

Hope this helps points us to an area and thanks so much I'd advance for any advice.

Cheers
Old Dec 2nd 2021, 11:25 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Budget...hard to say as I understand what will be left per month after all the costs are taken from the wage etc... we're most likely going to rent first and keep our house in the UK and let that out (just in case the dream falls flat on us) but be looking around $1500 a month maybe.
I have always figured about 65% take home.

I don't know much about NJ but in todays enviroment $1500 is not going to get you much even in rural GA, so that will most likely need to be somewhat revisedupwards.

Hopefully our NJ-close posters will chime in when the East Coast has all woken up

Last edited by civilservant; Dec 2nd 2021 at 12:46 pm.
Old Dec 2nd 2021, 12:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

postbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond reputepostbox134 has a reputation beyond repute

$1500 will get you almost nothing anywhere in the state of NJ (expect maybe the deep South). What salary are you being offered, rule of thumb is at least 1.5 x your UK salary with a $ in front. New Jersey is a very very expensive place to live.

Have you considered the tax implications of selling your UK home later when subject to US taxes? They will consider any gain (inc currency gain) since you purchased in most cases.

Even if you're not sure you want to stay now, get in writing an agreement to sponsor a green card in case you do want to stay. As L1, you are stuck with your employer and if you lose your job it's 14 days to leave the country.
Old Dec 2nd 2021, 4:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

GeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brackers
You'll need to double that.
Old Dec 2nd 2021, 4:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers
You are left with $1,500 per month after payroll deductions and rent? Wow, that's not going to go far.
Can you give a approx amount of salary you are being offered?
Old Dec 2nd 2021, 4:45 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all.

Hope you're all well. I've been extremely fortunate to be offered a role at my company in Princeton NJ.

We've never been to the area before, so just trying to see if there is any links or even people on here who are from the area who can recommend potential commuting towns outside of the East of the city.

going through the minefield of options and things we need to know/do..so thanks for the links on the home thread. Will be reading that before I have to make a decision next week.

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

James

NJ is one of the most expensive states in the US to live. If you want to live in a good area, be prepared to pay for it. Whenever you see the cost of something, make sure that figure is the bottom line. I don’t know anyone who understands all the multitude of charges and taxes on their phone bill.
Old Dec 5th 2021, 12:12 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

I'd second the comments on the costs. $1,500 will not go far, especially in COVID times when it seems rental properties are very very hard to find. Many properties that used to be rentals are being sold and that's kicking more people into the rental market, where inventory is quite low.

https://www.winknews.com/2021/05/25/...-find-rentals/

Princeton's campus is quite nice. There are many good schools in the area, but generally, you pay more to live in an area with better schools. Probably best to avoid those areas for the moment and consider moving when kids become an issue.

Old Dec 13th 2021, 3:05 pm
Forum Regular

Chins is an unknown quantity at this point

I live just outside of Princeton

You need at least $1700 for a one bed 600sqft apartment anywhere around Princeton. I would say a solid $3000 a month for 2-2500 sq ft single family home.
45 minute commute is a wide area, BUT where in Princeton will make a difference. Pre Covid getting through Princeton isnt always the easiest and the 1 can get busy.

I'm in Montgomery township which is west of Princeton. Very safe, good schools and 15 mins from Princeton. On the other side you have Windsor/Plainsboro which are also quite nice - its a very diverse area. A lot of people working for the pharma's and from India/Pakistan and China. I lived in an apartment in Plainsboro for a while - its also very safe. Coppers only seem to deal with speeders.
Ive also lived in Hamilton Township which is cheaper, but a bit too close to Trenton for a lot of people. Personally I dont like the Brunswick area's. Sommerville is also a very nice in places. You have lots of places to choose from, but the closer to Princeton the better.

I'm not a city boy so that may cloud my judgement. Moved from Great Missenden in Bucks to the USA.
Old Dec 13th 2021, 4:26 pm
Forum Regular

Xisle has much to be proud ofXisle has much to be proud ofXisle has much to be proud ofXisle has much to be proud ofXisle has much to be proud ofXisle has much to be proud ofXisle has much to be proud ofXisle has much to be proud ofXisle has much to be proud ofXisle has much to be proud ofXisle has much to be proud of

If you like a rural environment,check out New Hope.If you like Beaches/Parks then Red Bank might appeal to you.Both require a commute.Very safe and friendly with good Trains/bars/Restaurants .Many rentals are seasonal though and priced accordingly.Not a lot of choices these days.,expect to pay $2.5k and up..