Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts (FBAR)

View Poll Results: Are you in compliance with FBAR filing requirements?
Yes, I file every year
28.57%
Yes, I don't need to file
7.14%
No, I should file but haven't done so
14.29%
What is FBAR?
50.00%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts (FBAR)

Old Sep 27th 2010, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

davidw76 has a brilliant futuredavidw76 has a brilliant futuredavidw76 has a brilliant futuredavidw76 has a brilliant futuredavidw76 has a brilliant futuredavidw76 has a brilliant futuredavidw76 has a brilliant future
Default Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts (FBAR)

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/...210244,00.html
Old Sep 28th 2010, 12:04 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts (FBAR)

Who are you the tax man? I refuse to answer this in case I incriminate myself
Old Sep 28th 2010, 12:20 am
BE Enthusiast

coastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Who are you the tax man? I refuse to answer this in case I incriminate myself
Maybe he means Fubar ....
Old Sep 28th 2010, 5:17 am
BE Enthusiast

coastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond repute

I did find this article online http://www.webcpa.com/news/Tax-Conse...s-53449-1.html

If it is a 10,000 dollar limit, at what exchange rate ? , I have a small amount in the UK, ( I use it to help my mum out, I pay tax on it in the US though ).
Old Sep 28th 2010, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

davidw76 has a brilliant futuredavidw76 has a brilliant futuredavidw76 has a brilliant futuredavidw76 has a brilliant futuredavidw76 has a brilliant futuredavidw76 has a brilliant futuredavidw76 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by coastieexpat
I did find this article online http://www.webcpa.com/news/Tax-Conse...s-53449-1.html

If it is a 10,000 dollar limit, at what exchange rate ? , I have a small amount in the UK, ( I use it to help my mum out, I pay tax on it in the US though ).
Yes, 10,000 USD limit on the sum of all your foreign accounts including most pensions. It is measured at the point in the year when they were worth most. I usually use the exchange rate at the end of the year.

If you don't file the FBAR forms to the treasury each June you can be fined between 5 and 20% of the account balances even if you haven't underpaid any tax. In fact, if you fail to file for several years it's possible to owe more in fines than you actually have in the accounts.

I only know about it because someone posted a warning on a completely unrelated immigration forum. None of the other ex-pat colleagues I work with had any idea about it when I mentioned it. I guess nobody wants to answer option 3 on this poll for fear of incriminating themselves (it's anonymous though) but I'm sure there's a pretty high percentage of people among the ex-pat community here that don't know about these rules.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 3:54 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

My HR Block advisor (who is actually quite good for HRB) advised me of the need to file this each year. I was under the impression it could give you visa renewal problems, but am not entirely sure about that.